Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Objective Morality (Once More Into The Breach)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Shuny the Ten Commandments are both divine and moral.
    The Ten Commandments are Divine Law. The moral and ethical issues of wrongful death are not Divine Law.

Comment

No, God's law can not be arbitrary since it is grounded or proceeds from His immutable character and His omniscience. Where our moral judgements are grounded in a mutable, often fickle, moral nature that is severely limited in knowledge or foresight.
      Well if god is not arbitrarily deciding, then in what sense are you calling it a mind? If morals aren't a decision that are made, then they are objective, i.e. they have their own existence outside of the mind.

Comment

No, God's law can not be arbitrary since it is grounded or proceeds from His immutable character and His omniscience.
        Correct.

Where our moral judgments are grounded in a mutable, often fickle, moral nature that is severely limited in knowledge or foresight.
        This is a little extreme, but you are on the right track for the reasons that Divine Law is not morals and ethics, which are human values of right and wrong. They are mutable, and limited in knowledge, but for th most part consistent and functional within the context of the morals and ethics of a given culture.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Well if god is not arbitrarily deciding, then in what sense are you calling it a mind? If morals aren't a decision that are made, then they are objective, i.e. they have their own existence outside of the mind.
          No Jim, you are not understanding, God is not and can not be arbitrary. For instance, God by nature is truthful, He can not lie.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            The Ten Commandments are Divine Law. The moral and ethical issues of wrongful death are not Divine Law.
            I have no idea what that means.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No Jim, you are not understanding, God is not and can not be arbitrary. For instance, God by nature is truthful, He can not lie.
              Then in what sense do you see god as a mind? See you can't have it both ways, either god is a mind and makes judgements of right and wrong, or he is not a mind, rather he'd/it'd just be a static set of facts. Facts don't lie, thats true, but they have no reality of their own, they are just relative descriptors of that which is, of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill
                But why should our species survive? Or life in general, why are the nihilists wrong?
                There is no "should lee, there is no reason why we should survive. We could all die of some unforseen catastrophy tomorrow and there would be no reason why we should die either. Why do you keep asking?
                So then, per seer, atheism boils down to nihilism.

Best wishes,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Originally posted by lee_merrill
                  But I thought we had concluded that instinctive morals boiled down to enlightened self-interest, thus altruism is not sincere.
                  Enlightened self-interest encompasses the whole range of evolved behaviours which facilitate community survival including altruism, bonding, cooperation, empathy, reciprocity and response to the social rules of the group.
                  Altruism: unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others.

That is what I mean by altruism, which is therefore incompatible with selfishness, however enlightened it may be.

Best wishes,
                  Lee
                  "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                    So then, per seer, atheism boils down to nihilism.

Best wishes,
                    Lee
                    Well, only we human beings concern ourselves with such things, thats the problem with having highly evolved brains. In reality we are no different than any other life form on earth when it comes to ultimates. Yes according to atheism, as far as can be seen, there is no ultimate reason for our existence, just as there was no ultimate reason for the existence of the dinasaurs. Every thing will die some day, including the universe of our experience.

Comment

I have no idea what that means.

Originally posted by seer
                      Where our moral judgments are grounded in a mutable, often fickle, moral nature that is severely limited in knowledge or foresight.

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                        Altruism: unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others.
                        'Altruism' nevertheless exists among social species, because the benefits of being part of an altruistic group outweigh the benefits of individual selfishness.

That is what I mean by altruism, which is therefore incompatible with selfishness, however enlightened it may be.
                        Not at all, restraining individual selfishness and building more cooperative groups benefits us all.

Comment

Then in what sense do you see god as a mind? See you can't have it both ways, either god is a mind and makes judgements of right and wrong, or he is not a mind, rather he'd/it'd just be a static set of facts. Facts don't lie, thats true, but they have no reality of their own, they are just relative descriptors of that which is, of nature.
                          Yes Jim, God thinks, wills and acts and that is not prevented because He has an immutable moral nature. Because He can not lie for instance, does not mean that He can not act or interact, will or create. It just means that He can not lie when acting, or being unjust when acting. I don't see the problem.

Comment

Yes Jim, God thinks, wills and acts and that is not prevented because He has an immutable moral nature. Because He can not lie for instance, does not mean that He can not act or interact, will or create. It just means that He can not lie when acting, or being unjust when acting. I don't see the problem.

Comment

• So what is you point? He often uses the wicked for His purposes - like you...

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Shuny how is "do not murder" not a moral injunction?

Comment