Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Compatibalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    And again I ask what sort of evidence would you expect to find about the God of the Bible? Not some made up strawman, but the real God of the Bible - regardless of whether you believe in Him or not. What evidence could there be of a creator who is not a part of the creation?
    I would not expect to find any evidence. There is no reason to posit such a hypothesis.
    Last edited by Tassman; 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      This is not determinism as it applies to human choices as you well know, it's been explained often enough. But even if it was, your position is ludicrous, namely X cannot be true because I find it distasteful, whereas Y is much nicer, so I'll believe that instead.

With regard to making choices your position is logically incoherent. It takes no account of the impact subconscious influences have on your decision-making process. E.g. your choice of chocolate cake over a cream cake is based upon a myriad factors related to your history of cake-eating. It is not made in isolation of these life-experiences.
      So you agree that you are a sock puppet.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I would not expect to find any evidence. There is no reason to posit such a hypothesis.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          So you agree that you are a sock puppet.
          This is not what I said.

I repeat, your "sock-puppet" analogy is not determinism as it applies to human choices as you well know, it's been explained often enough. But even if it was, your position is ludicrous, namely X cannot be true because I find it distasteful, whereas Y is much nicer, so I'll believe that instead.

With regard to making choices your position is logically incoherent. It takes no account of the impact subconscious influences have on your decision-making process. E.g. your choice of chocolate cake over a cream cake is based upon a myriad factors related to your history of cake-eating. It is not made in isolation of these life-experiences.

Comment

Not at all. I said I would not expect to find any evidence. The god hypothesis has been around for millennia and none of the posited gods have been substantiated. To echo Laplace, I have no need of such an hypothesis. Scientific methodology is better positioned to understand the universe. We no longer need gods to explain where the sun goes at night.

Comment

This is not what I said.

I repeat, your "sock-puppet" analogy is not determinism as it applies to human choices as you well know, it's been explained often enough. But even if it was, your position is ludicrous, namely X cannot be true because I find it distasteful, whereas Y is much nicer, so I'll believe that instead.

Of course you are a sock puppet, all your choices, thoughts and acts are predetermined by antecedent conditions.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Not at all. I said I would not expect to find any evidence. The god hypothesis has been around for millennia and none of the posited gods have been substantiated. To echo Laplace, I have no need of such an hypothesis. Scientific methodology is better positioned to understand the universe. We no longer need gods to explain where the sun goes at night.
                But you are not even interested in substantiation. You seem to have no interest in knowing whether there is an all powerful creator or not. That is your dishonesty. You say "no such thing" but have no rational basis for that statement.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Of course you are a sock puppet, all your choices, thoughts and acts are predetermined by antecedent conditions.
                  Your position is logically incoherent. It takes no account of the impact subconscious influences have on your decision-making process. Try addressing the actual issue.

Comment

But you are not even interested in substantiation. You seem to have no interest in knowing whether there is an all powerful creator or not. That is your dishonesty. You say "no such thing" but have no rational basis for that statement.

Comment

You have no evidence that this is true.

Comment

You have no evidence that this is true.

Comment

Your position is logically incoherent. It takes no account of the impact subconscious influences have on your decision-making process. Try addressing the actual issue.
                          Tass, we can settle this with an honest answer from you: is everything we do, think or say determined - yes or no?

Comment

Tass, we can settle this with an honest answer from you: is everything we do, think or say determined - yes or no?
                            What needs to be settled is your claim that libertarian free-will exists in isolation from your subconscious influences. Because, if you acknowledge that subconscious processes have an effect upon your choices, you are admitting that "free-will" is impacted, at least to a degree, by antecedent forces. Thus, you are not exercising libertarian free-will.

Comment

What needs to be settled is your claim that libertarian free-will exists in isolation from your subconscious influences. Because, if you acknowledge that subconscious processes have an effect upon your choices, you are admitting that "free-will" is impacted, at least to a degree, by antecedent forces. Thus, you are not exercising libertarian free-will.
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Comment