Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Compatibalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Clearly you cannot explain how you were able to arrive at that conclusion without being influenced by any antecedent causes...despite being asked many times.. Obviously not, because it's logically incoherent.
    I'm just amazed at how life like modern automatons look and sound!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      I'm just amazed at how life like modern automatons look and sound!
      Pathetic! Just admit you can't explain how you're able to arrive conclusions without being influenced by any antecedent causes.

Comment

Pathetic! Just admit you can't explain how you're able to arrive conclusions without being influenced by any antecedent causes.
        That is so neat, they can even programme these things to sound rational! Will wonders never cease!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

That is so neat, they can even programme these things to sound rational! Will wonders never cease!
          Don't be ashamed to admit it. You're able to arrive conclusions without being influenced by any antecedent causes because god-did-it. He worked magic and gave you libertarian free-will. Right?

Comment

Don't be ashamed to admit it. You're able to arrive conclusions without being influenced by any antecedent causes because god-did-it. He worked magic and gave you libertarian free-will. Right?
            What a great come back! Kudos to what ever programmed this Tassbot thing!

Comment

What a great come back! Kudos to what ever programmed this Tassbot thing!
              Ashamed of your religious beliefs, huh! Well you might be, they're logically incoherent. Silly God!

Comment

Ashamed of your religious beliefs, huh! Well you might be, they're logically incoherent. Silly God!
                Why does this Tassbot thing keep responding to me, is there a glitch in the firmware? Must be on some kind of automatic loop.

Comment

Why does this Tassbot thing keep responding to me, is there a glitch in the firmware? Must be on some kind of automatic loop.
                  Applies to both, determinism rules with perpetual motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfBG0d5Oj3c

Funny Dogs Chasing Their Tails Compilation 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Applies to both, determinism rules with perpetual motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfBG0d5Oj3c

Funny Dogs Chasing Their Tails Compilation 2014
                    Pathetic isn't it! But we will remember this next time he launches into his "sock-puppet routine, whilst being unable to explain how he arrives at conclusions sans antecedent causes or subconscious influences.

Comment

Pathetic isn't it! But we will remember this next time he launches into his "sock-puppet routine, whilst being unable to explain how he arrives at conclusions sans antecedent causes or subconscious influences.
                      Hey, this is getting silly, who ever is controlling this this Tassbot sock puppet please, please make it say something new! It is getting boring!

Comment

Hey, this is getting silly, who ever is controlling this this Tassbot sock puppet please, please make it say something new! It is getting boring!
                        Look at what the uncontrolled randomness that is your will spewed out. Something incoherent.
                        Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                          Look at what the uncontrolled randomness that is your will spewed out. Something incoherent.
                          Wow! Another sock puppet chimes in! Where do you buy these things, my grand kids would love one!

Comment

• All you need do is explain how libertarian free-will can work without being influenced by any antecedent causes. Still waiting!
                            Who says a libertarian free will choice isn't influenced by antecedent causes? I thought your claim was that antecedent causes uniquely determines any choice, and I don't see why I or seer should grant that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              Who says a libertarian free will choice isn't influenced by antecedent causes? I thought your claim was that antecedent causes uniquely determines any choice, and I don't see why I or seer should grant that.
                              If so-called libertarian free will choices are influenced by antecedent causes then it is not libertarian free will, it's compatibilism i.e. the notion that free will and determinism are compatible. Whereas, in actuality, strict determinism and freedom are incompatible.

Comment

If so-called libertarian free will choices are influenced by antecedent causes then it is not libertarian free will,
                                No, libertarian free will doesn't mean that our choices can't be influenced by antecedent causes.

I'm not sure anyone takes the radical position that our choices are completely independent of context, internal or external. What libertarian free will means is that our choice is not determined by antecedents. If you knew everything about me, then if libertarian free will is true, it would be impossible for you to demonstrate whether I would, in fact, go and kill someone one day. It can be rendered likely, but if I actually killed someone, then it would be because I chose to do so, not because I was made to do so.

However, no libertarian free will philosopher holds that it is unreasonable to make statements such as 'I know Jack, he's a good fellow, a more dependable and stable person you can never find, him losing his mind and killing his wife is unthinkable. I much rather suspect Dobson, he always had it in for her, and a bad temper too.'

Catholic moral theology has it spelled out in far greater detail. Your choices can form habits, and those habits can influence your decisions. You can be affected by what desires and temptations you're presented, and though you retain the free ability to choose to act against them, it's improbable that you could keep it up if you voluntarily exposed yourself to temptation for instance.

None of this is new philosophy.
                                Last edited by Leonhard; 02-07-2017, 05:54 AM.

Comment