Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Moral Argument for God's Existence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where in the Constitution or the Civil Rights act does it say we can't discriminate based on sexual orientation or behavior?

No there isn't. You are begging the question. Saying that because we find consciousness in nature that nature must have done it. Tell me Tass how did non-conscious forces magically create consciousness?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Where in the Constitution or the Civil Rights act does it say we can't discriminate based on sexual orientation or behavior?
      All law abiding citizens are protected by the Civil Rights Act from discrimination in schools, at the workplace and in facilities that serve the general public known as "public accommodations". All discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, or national origin is outlawed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

No there isn't. You are begging the question. Saying that because we find consciousness in nature that nature must have done it.
      Tell me Tass how did non-conscious forces magically create consciousness?
      non-magical process of Natural Selection. It's one of many examples in evolution of complexity arising out of simplicity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        All law abiding citizens are protected by the Civil Rights Act from discrimination in schools, at the workplace and in facilities that serve the general public known as "public accommodations". All discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, or national origin is outlawed.
        Right, what is your point? Sex in the context has to do with gender, not sexual behavior or orientation.

Then tell me where, when and how did non conscious forces create their opposite - consciousness? Can you point to the time? The physical changes that caused it?

non-magical process of Natural Selection. It's one of many examples in evolution of complexity arising out of simplicity.
        Again you are begging the question.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• [QUOTE=seer;399348]Where in the Constitution or the Civil Rights act does it say we can't discriminate based on sexual orientation or behavior?

Your comment here on behavior is ambiguous and not clear.

Source: http://finduslaw.com/us-constitution-5th-14th-amendments

The Fifth Amendment has an explicit requirement that the Federal Government not deprive individuals of "life, liberty, or property," without due process of the law and an implicit guarantee that each person receive equal protection of the laws.

The Fourteenth Amendment explicitly prohibits states from violating an individual's rights of due process and equal protection. Equal protection limits the State and Federal governments' power to discriminate in their employment practices by treating employees, former employees, or job applicants unequally because of membership in a group, like a race, religion or sex. Due process protection requires that employees have a fair procedural process before they are terminated if the termination is related to a "liberty," like the right to free speech, or a property interest.

Amendment V
          Amendment XIV

Amendment I
          Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

© Copyright Original Source

The wording of the constitution does not limit which beliefs, lifestyles, gender issues, or ethnic and race relations are not protected under law. It indicates ALL are protected.

The constitution protects your rights as well as all people to: Express your rights to personal preference concerning your own choices of friends, marriage partner, associates, belief, place of worship, and other issues of personal choice that do not discriminate in the public place.

No there isn't. You are begging the question. Saying that because we find consciousness in nature that nature must have done it. Tell me Tass how did non-conscious forces magically create consciousness?
          Not magically, but yes, naturally.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-18-2016, 08:23 AM.

Comment

All law abiding citizens are protected by the Civil Rights Act from discrimination in schools, at the workplace and in facilities that serve the general public known as "public accommodations".
            From scanning the text, I find nothing to indicate that a business that provides food for consumption elsewhere qualifies as a "public accommodation".
            All discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, or national origin is outlawed.
            But not sexual orientation. Though it may be covered under the 'religion' clause, as the same-sex marriage question is effectively a difference in religious views.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
              From scanning the text, I find nothing to indicate that a business that provides food for consumption elsewhere qualifies as a "public accommodation". But not sexual orientation. Though it may be covered under the 'religion' clause, as the same-sex marriage question is effectively a difference in religious views.
              I believe that the problem of discrimination falls under the 14th Amendment that prohibits discrimination based on "sex," which I believe would include 'sexual orientation.'

The problem of how the 14th Amendment applies to 'public accommodation' has been determined by the Supreme Court decisions. Trying to draw a line within the broad spectrum of what may be described as 'public accommodation' becomes problematic.

What takes place, limits nor restrictions in private homes, churches, religious institutions and private clubs are not considered public accommodation under the Constitutional Law.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-18-2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                From scanning the text, I find nothing to indicate that a business that provides food for consumption elsewhere qualifies as a "public accommodation".
                "Generally speaking, it may help to think of public accommodations as...businesses or buildings that are open to (or offer services to) the general public".

http://civilrights.findlaw.com/enfor...modations.html

But not sexual orientation. Though it may be covered under the 'religion' clause, as the same-sex marriage question is effectively a difference in religious views.
                In practice it includes sexual orientation, e.g. in 2014 a Colorado Court ruled that a bakery unlawfully discriminated against a gay couple by refusing to sell them a wedding cake. There have been several such instances.

Comment

Right, what is your point? Sex in the context has to do with gender, not sexual behavior or orientation.
                  Discrimination in public accommodations is covered by most state and local laws and prohibits public accommodations from refusing service based on factors such as race, sex, marital status and, in practice, sexual orientation.

Then tell me where, when and how did non conscious forces create their opposite - consciousness? Can you point to the time? The physical changes that caused it?

Comment

Discrimination in public accommodations is covered by most state and local laws and prohibits public accommodations from refusing service based on factors such as race, sex, marital status and, in practice, sexual orientation.
                    I was speaking of the Constitution and the Civil Rights Act. Yes some leftist, freedom hating states are in fact limiting freedom. But it does not violate the Constitution or the Civil Rights act to discriminate based on sexual orientation (i.e. sexual behavior) which you wrongly suggested.

Understood? Then tell me where when and how non-conscious entities became conscious? What physical change cause that jump?
                    Last edited by seer; 12-19-2016, 06:45 AM.

Comment

I was speaking of the Constitution and the Civil Rights Act. Yes some leftist, freedom hating states are in fact limiting freedom. But it does not violate the Constitution or the Civil Rights act to discriminate based on sexual orientation (i.e. sexual behavior) which you wrongly suggested.
                      The Supreme Court has determined this as discrimination. Of course, different churches, religions, cultures and societies within the United States interpret these issues differently, and they have the right to do so within their belief system, family, homes, houses of worship, and personal relationship with others who believe differently, but not in the public place where many diverse views exist, and equal rights protectin under the Constitution and the Law.

Which religious belief should be the standard under the Constitution in the public among the many diverse conflicting beliefs concerning these issues?

Understood? Then tell me where when and how non-conscious entities became conscious? What physical change cause that jump?
                      Physical progressive evolving changes of complexity of the brain as demonstrated in living animals and fossil evidence. No sudden jump is necessary nor known to occur.

As demonstrated by references of scientific research, primates exhibit morals, ethics and social structures similar to humans, but on a moe basic and primitive manner.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-19-2016, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Natural selection functions incrementally as can be from the fossil record and in the DNA of all living creatures...from the primitive intelligence of say, sea slugs to the highly organised consciousnesses of the great apes and humans.

Now you tell me when god-did-it and how do you know?
                        Last edited by Tassman; 12-19-2016, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• We have a fellow up here in the Northeast who refuses to sell home heating propane to any one who supported Trump. He is discriminating. Is he violating The Civil Rights Acts?

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/12/1...-trump-voters/

Natural selection functions incrementally as can be from the fossil record and in the DNA of all living creatures...from the primitive intelligence of say, sea slugs to the highly organised consciousnesses of the great apes and humans.

Now you tell me when god-did-it and how do you know?
                          First, of all there is no incremental self-awareness, you either are self aware or you are not. Second, you are still begging the question - you are just asserting that "nature did it." You are not telling us why or how non-conscious forces could suddenly become self-aware. Especially in light of the fact that self-awareness is not even necessary for survival.

Comment

We have a fellow up here in the Northeast who refuses to sell home heating propane to any one who supported Trump. He is discriminating. Is he violating The Civil Rights Acts?

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/12/1...-trump-voters/
                            Yes

First, of all there is no incremental self-awareness, you either are self aware or you are not. Second, you are still begging the question - you are just asserting that "nature did it." You are not telling us why or how non-conscious forces could suddenly become self-aware.
                            There is no evidence that self-awareness suddenly appeared among mammals. It is well documented the complexity of the brain evolved incrementally among primates and mammals, and the evidence for the associated mind and consciousness progressively evolved.

Especially in light of the fact that self-awareness is not even necessary for survival.
                            False assertion, on what objective evidence do you base this on.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              False assertion, on what objective evidence do you base this on.
                              Do you consider bacteria to be self-aware?

Comment

• Originally posted by element771 View Post
                                Do you consider bacteria to be self-aware?
                                The man is just daft, that is why I have him on ignore.

Comment