Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Philosophical Arguments against Same-Sex Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    I think harm is a better term than suffering, here. Unless you're going to claim pleasure is a moral good, which has the same issues as suffering being morally bad, you can't really claim it as a higher priority.
    Well that is Thinker's view, the more pleasure the better, the more suffering the worse. But that is my point - there is no objective way to prioritize these things.

Also, a utilitarian system would aim at net change. You'd have to show that the 'good/pleasure' gained outweighs the 'bad/harm(suffering)'. Doing so involves its own set of assertions.
    Again, how does one objectively prioritize or quantify such things?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      You mean like your subjective view that the greater the self-awareness the greater the moral concern?
      No he specifically asked 'Good according to what objective standard?'

I ask the same question.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        No he specifically asked 'Good according to what objective standard?'

I ask the same question.
        THERE IS NO OBJECTIVE STANDARD. There is God's law however, which is subjective to Him and binding on all humanity.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

THERE IS NO OBJECTIVE STANDARD. There is God's law however, which is subjective to Him and binding on all humanity.
          Needs more explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Needs more explanation.
            All ethics, in the end, revolve around personal opinion. You have your opinion, I mine, one culture theirs, another culture theirs. And of course God has His. And His is supreme since He has the ability to enforce His moral law universally and His view is grounded in His immutable moral character and His omniscience.

Comment

You mean like your subjective view that the greater the self-awareness the greater the moral concern?
              No, that's objective. I was wondering if you had an objective standard.
              Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

But that is merely an assertion. Why should the suffering of a creature that is much less self aware than me take priority over my pleasure?
                It can. I'm not saying it isn't. It depends on how sentient it is. What about a creature that was 1% less sentient than you? And then we can ask again about 2%, and 3%, and so on.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Except for the fact that your god doesn't exist.

Minor technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                    It can. I'm not saying it isn't. It depends on how sentient it is. What about a creature that was 1% less sentient than you? And then we can ask again about 2%, and 3%, and so on.
                    But you can not even quantify these things. How much does the much less self-aware cow suffer with a bullet to the head? Is that monetary suffering outweigh my pleasure in eating him? My uncle used to snap the necks of chickens, they did not suffer at all as far as I could tell. So why shouldn't I eat him?

Comment

Except for the fact that your god doesn't exist.

Minor technicality.
                      That is your opinion.

Comment

No, that's objective. I was wondering if you had an objective standard.
                        No Thinker your view is decidedly not objective. It is clearly an opinion. The greater the self-awareness the greater the moral concern? Who says? You? And again, there is no objective standard - a moral standard that exists in-spite of what anyone believes.

Comment

Well that is Thinker's view, the more pleasure the better, the more suffering the worse. But that is my point - there is no objective way to prioritize these things.

Again, how does one objectively prioritize or quantify such things?
                          I don't think we can say "there is none" with any real certainty. We can certainly say we know of none, though. I'm not sure how subjective is a deal-breaker, though. When you make the claim that humans deserve more moral consideration, what is that based on? Even granting an objective moral source, the interpretation and implementation of the commands received is extremely subjective.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                            I don't think we can say "there is none" with any real certainty. We can certainly say we know of none, though. I'm not sure how subjective is a deal-breaker, though. When you make the claim that humans deserve more moral consideration, what is that based on? Even granting an objective moral source, the interpretation and implementation of the commands received is extremely subjective.
                            Well humans have a more worth to God, that is why we deserve more consideration.

Comment

But you can not even quantify these things. How much does the much less self-aware cow suffer with a bullet to the head? Is that monetary suffering outweigh my pleasure in eating him? My uncle used to snap the necks of chickens, they did not suffer at all as far as I could tell. So why shouldn't I eat him?
                              The same argument can be made if someone snaps your neck -- according to your own logic. Therefore there's nothing wrong with snapping other people's necks on your worldview.

Comment

That is your opinion.
                                No it's a fact. Your god is not even coherent, like LFW. As such it's impossible it can be true.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X