Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hypostatic Quaternity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinist
    replied
    I don't know: Existence, Identity, Consciousness...Here are three things, ideas. You can't have one without the others, and they are all irreducible, and each one depends on the others for it's existence...or something like that. I can't do the argument justice, but it made sense. Has no one ever read Ayn Rand Atlas Shrugged? I forced myself to read that book. It was a struggle, but there were times I think I came across something that had a....a.....certain Glow to points that she was making.

That's where these 3 axioms come from. Now don't dismiss it quickly because the author was an atheist, because there is a certain resonance here with these 3 things. And if God is indeed a trinity, then there will be a fundamental 3-ness here in this continuum as well.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Oh. Anyway, there you go, proof that God exists.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    I don't have time this evening to focus my attention on this, but I want to throw out a trinity of sorts and see what everyone thinks:

I remember forcing myself a long time ago to read the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, 2 books I thoroughly did not enjoy. There was this curious part in the appendix of one on Objectivism, and the author identifies a trinity of irreducible axioms. They are:

1.) Existence
    2.)Identity
    3.)Consciousness

Is it possible that this is true? Could you add a 4th? Or is this really it?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it. Otherwise it may be tomorrow sometime before I can get back here to go more into it. I'm just thinking that if there is something here, then maybe this is the missing fractal that I am looking for, an objective imprint of 3ness here in our world.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I don't think we can ever fully understand God or his nature. Just what he has revealed to our teeny little minds.
    It seems that many here have fully comprehended at least the Moral Nature of God.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Because Jesus hadn't been born yet?
    He's just being Sparko. Jesus always was - there was never a time when Jesus wasn't, though His time on this planet "in the flesh" was short.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied

Well if you want to get really technical, "Jesus" didn't create the universe, the Son did.
    Because Jesus hadn't been born yet?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Well if you want to get really technical, "Jesus" didn't create the universe, the Son did.
    Roy? Is that you?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Right. The trinity is a beautifully intricate concept unique to Christianity.

I was just thinking that perhaps there was some fractal of it observable through Logic or Reason here in our domain, independent of the Bible.

It is what it is.
    I don't think we can ever fully understand God or his nature. Just what he has revealed to our teeny little minds.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Even in that part, God created the Heavens and the Earth (Gen 1:1) but Jesus was God's agent of creation, because HE (Jesus) created all that is. So, God through Jesus created the world, or Jesus, as God's agent of creation....

At least we see that all three get along marvelously well!

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    There is nothing stopping God from being a Quarternity, or a Quintity, etc, but the Bible only alludes to a Trinity. It in various places mentions that there is only ONE God YHWH. But then it mentions three distinct persons as being God, The son, the Holy Spirit and the Father. Each is said to have various characteristics that only God has, such as Creator of the Universe, being omniscient, etc. But they are also shown to be distinct persons. The Son talks to the Father, the Father speaks of his Son, and the Son speaks of the Holy Spirit as "another counselor" so we have three persons, yet only one God. Not three Gods. That is the Trinity.
    Right. The trinity is a beautifully intricate concept unique to Christianity.

I was just thinking that perhaps there was some fractal of it observable through Logic or Reason here in our domain, independent of the Bible.

It is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    ...Each is said to have various characteristics that only God has, such as Creator of the Universe...
    Even in that part, God created the Heavens and the Earth (Gen 1:1) but Jesus was God's agent of creation, because HE (Jesus) created all that is. So, God through Jesus created the world, or Jesus, as God's agent of creation....

At least we see that all three get along marvelously well!

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    There is nothing stopping God from being a Quarternity, or a Quintity, etc, but the Bible only alludes to a Trinity. It in various places mentions that there is only ONE God YHWH. But then it mentions three distinct persons as being God, The son, the Holy Spirit and the Father. Each is said to have various characteristics that only God has, such as Creator of the Universe, being omniscient, etc. But they are also shown to be distinct persons. The Son talks to the Father, the Father speaks of his Son, and the Son speaks of the Holy Spirit as "another counselor" so we have three persons, yet only one God. Not three Gods. That is the Trinity.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

If it is an argument for it rather than just analogy you are after, then what I call the "Relational argument" comes in. God is supposed to be love, and a unitarian entity could not embody love. Nor could such an attribute of love be inherent to such a being.
    I'm not sure if I am clearly conveying what I am thinking of here. Thank you though for this information. It is definitely a stab in the right direction.

I am groping in the dark here, but I think there is something there, something in the room.

Let me brainstorm here a minute and stream some consciousness:

Morality is one of God's properties
    God is the only source of Morality
    God is unchanging therefore Morality is unchanging
    This can be argued in a debate
    Atheism is completely irrational
    because it is evident, plain to see
    that Morality is objective
    And the atheist in his rebellion
    refuses to see this truth
    The Argument from Morality
    is so old that a lot of people are
    tired of hearing it, because it always ends
    in stalemate, while both parties
    believe they have they have the correct
    perspective.
    It's One of God's properties, His Qualities,
    It is objective and it can be argued.
    3-ness is also a Property or Quality of God
    Just like Morality is
    But 3-ness can't be deduced from simple examinations
    of Logic and Reason like objective Morality can,
    the Morality that obviously can't be inherent to humans,
    and must come from an outside source.
    I see 3-ness, Trinality, as a property of God
    Just like I see Morality as a property of God.
    These are different categories, different names,
    but they are still a property.
    Why can one property be argued effectively
    while the other property only comes from a creative synthesis
    of translations of ancient documents?
    Can it be argued for instance, that man is a a trinality himself?
    The Body, Soul and Spirit perhaps?
    Or is this merely another cleaving of the air in the upper regions
    of space beyond the clouds?
    Can an Ontology be synthesized like Art,
    Just on the fly?
    Just how malleable is Reason exactly?
    Or if it's objective and can be argued to be so,
    why can't the trinity be argued by emphasizing
    a 3-ness that is right before our eyes, and is the bedrock
    that all reason and Logic is built upon?
    Perhaps, there is a 3-ness that we just haven't discovered yet.
    The science of Artificial Intelligence has reached
    a point where they are borrowing terms from philosophy
    to describe their domain.
    We are placing the cupola on the tower of Babyl.
    Surely a 3-ness will confront the scientist soon
    And it will be not only a technological advent
    but will re-write the code of our Ontological Matrix.
    In his attempts to be God, man will discover God
    and it will bear an unmistakable 3-ness.
    And at that point, Trinitarianisn will have an argument
    that they can bring to the world
    as effective and solid as the argument from Morality.
    It will be a New dispensational era, so to speak.
    It will be a New Ontological Dispensation,
    an Epistimological Dispensation,
    a logical one, a moral one,
    when man discovers God.
    And we're on the cusp, and if they keep pushing the envelope
    they will find a fundamental trinity of things.
    There has to be something there, more than just
    ancient scrolls that we're extracting this enigmatic and incomprehensible
    concept of the trinity from.

Clear as mud?

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

It does not have to be an analogy .An argument would work just fine. It just seems that it would be a standard argument.

Properties and Characteristics of God, such as Morality, Reason, etc have begat arguments among Apologists of the Faith. Why not the property of Trinality? Why doesn't it have it's argument? Is it only a concept synthesized from Scripture alone?
    If it is an argument for it rather than just analogy you are after, then what I call the "Relational argument" comes in. God is supposed to be love, and a unitarian entity could not embody love. Nor could such an attribute of love be inherent to such a being.

Leave a comment: