Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hypostatic Quaternity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinist
    replied
    Hey! Thanks for contributing to my stream of thoughts here!

I am beginning to think that God is not really a trinity per se, but that is something that man has imposed. It can't be One, because the Hebrew's have that number. It can't be two because then it would be too eastern (yin/yang). It can't be 4, 5 or 6, because then it just gets too complex. 3 is just a nice number.

If God is a spirit, then it makes no sense to say the Spirit's spirit. Omnipresence intuitively makes sense to me, I guess I can sort of apprehend the concept, which would put the Spirit (which is God) everywhere, and then the theologians over the centuries creatively imposed a trinity upon their understanding of the history of the Jews, and of Jesus, and the way in which this omnipresent Spirit has interacted with mankind.

I like the Trinity and I have no problem with associating with any group that is Trinitarian, but I fail to see how that is such an important doctrine.

Also, I think the quantum analogy may have been a little overboard. I do think that if the Universal Spirit was indeed intrinsically 3 parts, then there would be an unmistakable 3-ness observable here in our plane. I think it was a literary device of sorts that evolved in the musings and meditations of ancient theologians. And I don't think it was done divisively or deceptively in any way. It was very imaginatively synthesized and codified and I have only immense appreciation for it. It's something I would not even dare bringing up in conversation with anyone in person because it's just not worth straining relationships I have with those who embraces this doctrine.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Machinist View Post
    Hypostasis is how things are 3 and 1 at the same time. It's a quantum function. "Quantum" being the closest analogy. A quantum bit, so i'm told, can be in two states and in two places...at the same time. Now I do not understand this. But that is how it is explained in every news article regarding how quantum computers work. They call it superposition and entanglement. Quantum computers are much faster than today's computers because they can take advantage of their 1's and 0's having the property of being a 1 and a 0...at the same time. I think I explained that correctly.

We could say then that the computations within the motherboard of a Quantum computer (if quantum computers have motherboards), is analogous to Hypostasis.
    Not in this context. It is from Neoplatonism the non-Christian Greek philosophical school from which Christianity obtained the language and the concept. There is nothing in the Septuagint [the early Christian's scripture] to support a belief in a Triune deity.

The language found in the gospel of John is periphrastic and contradictory.

John 14.9 "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father" is later contradicted at 14.28 "because the Father is greater than I" and again at 14.31. "but I do as the Father has commanded me,"

And earlier at John 5.30 "I can do nothing on my own."

None of those verses suggest what the later Triune creed would contend.

Hence over a century of argument and contention concerning this construct of a Triune godhead. The matter could only be resolved by Imperial edict which stated what must be believed and with it carried the threat of severe punishment for those who dissented.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Hypostasis is how things are 3 and 1 at the same time. It's a quantum function. "Quantum" being the closest analogy. A quantum bit, so i'm told, can be in two states and in two places...at the same time. Now I do not understand this. But that is how it is explained in every news article regarding how quantum computers work. They call it superposition and entanglement. Quantum computers are much faster than today's computers because they can take advantage of their 1's and 0's having the property of being a 1 and a 0...at the same time. I think I explained that correctly.

We could say then that the computations within the motherboard of a Quantum computer (if quantum computers have motherboards), is analogous to Hypostasis.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Dr.Suess could probably explain it better.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Originally posted by 37818 View Post

Explaining the explanation has been stated as three Who's who are One what.
    That is indeed One Nebulous Enigma!

Leave a comment:

replied
    "The Son talks to the Father, the Father speaks of his Son, and the Son speaks of the Holy Spirit as "another counselor" so we have three persons, yet only one God. Not three Gods. That is the Trinity." - Sparko.

That is indeed a Trinity of sorts.
    The term "Trinity" means the three Persons, God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are the One God.

Trinity is the name of that explanation. Explaining the explanation has been stated as three Who's who are One what.
    Last edited by 37818; 04-18-2021, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied

The Son. You mean Jesus, no?

He is reason for creation?
    Yes, Jesus Christ is the incarnate Son of God. And is the reason for creation, John 1:14 KJV, John 1:2-3 KJV, Luke 1:35 KJV, Luke 2:11 KJV, Ephesians 3:9 KJV.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    "The Son talks to the Father, the Father speaks of his Son, and the Son speaks of the Holy Spirit as "another counselor" so we have three persons, yet only one God. Not three Gods. That is the Trinity." - Sparko.

That is indeed a Trinity of sorts.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Are you saying that Jesus was the reason for Creation? God the Father created matter because of Jesus?

It seems like i've heard that before. I don't get it, but I have heard that.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    If that is how you want to frame God being three distinct Persons. Not three modes, but three distinct Persons.

The one identified as the Son of God can be said to be the reason for creation. And has always been the reason God has always been three distinct Persons. See John 1:18 KJV, Colossians 1:14-18 KJV, John 1:1-3 KJV.
    The Son. You mean Jesus, no?

He is reason for creation?

Leave a comment:

replied
    So god Himself isn't really a Trinity per se, and the Trinity isn't really "held together". The Trinity is simply 3 ways in which God has interacted with man.
    If that is how you want to frame God being three distinct Persons. Not three modes, but three distinct Persons.

The one identified as the Son of God can be said to be the reason for creation. And has always been the reason God has always been three distinct Persons. See John 1:18 KJV, Colossians 1:14-18 KJV, John 1:1-3 KJV.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    So god Himself isn't really a Trinity per se, and the Trinity isn't really "held together". The Trinity is simply 3 ways in which God has interacted with man.

Leave a comment:

replied

That is something to definitely contemplate. Thank you.
    You are very welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    It definitely violates the laws of Western Logic. Did I say that correctly?

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    God is not made up of parts. God is one entity. Deuteronomy 6:4 KJV, "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: . . ."
    Now the three distinct Persons are that one. Each of those distinct Persons are the whole and not parts of the whole. They each have distinctions which makes them Persons not parts in that each are the whole. One cannot be without each other. God is the whole without parts.
    That is something to definitely contemplate. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X