Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hypostatic Quaternity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Originally posted by Machinist View Post

So spirit's have the ability to divide into parts. Is the number of parts a spirit can divide into necessarily 3? Is it an objective fact/axiom that spirits are inherently 3 entities?
    God is not made up of parts. God is one entity. Deuteronomy 6:4 KJV, "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: . . ."
    Now the three distinct Persons are that one. Each of those distinct Persons are the whole and not parts of the whole. They each have distinctions which makes them Persons not parts in that each are the whole. One cannot be without each other. God is the whole without parts.
    Last edited by 37818; 04-13-2021, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Is it possible to quarter a spirit?

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Originally posted by 37818 View Post

Believing can be the same as what is understood. But not always.
    It is my understanding and as such my belief what causes and is the reason the three distinct Persons who are God to be one are they are one Spirit to.
    So spirit's have the ability to divide into parts. Is the number of parts a spirit can divide into necessarily 3? Is it an objective fact/axiom that spirits are inherently 3 entities?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Do you understand this? I do not.

Is believing the same as understanding?
    Believing can be the same as what is understood. But not always.
    It is my understanding and as such my belief what causes and is the reason the three distinct Persons who are God to be one are they are one Spirit to.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Here is something you might understand. Maybe not, but you might.
    Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, as a distinct Person, Romans 8:16.
    Jesus explained that God the Father is Spirit, John 4:24.
    The Apostle Paul also stated that a Christian is indwelt by the Spirit of God and is also identified as the Spirit of Christ, Romans 8:9.
    So three distinct Persons of a common subtance by which they are the one and the same God.
    Do you understand this? I do not.

Is believing the same as understanding?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Here is something you might understand. Maybe not, but you might.
    Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, as a distinct Person, Romans 8:16.
    Jesus explained that God the Father is Spirit, John 4:24.
    The Apostle Paul also stated that a Christian is indwelt by the Spirit of God and is also identified as the Spirit of Christ, Romans 8:9.
    So three distinct Persons of a common subtance by which they are the one and the same God.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    If Jesus is God hypostatically...if hypostatically, Jesus was the Father and the Son at the same time....

What is this function of hypostasis? What are the conditions necessary for hypostasis to take place?

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    You often hear the phrase "mind/body/soul". Is this a trinity? Is man a fractal of the Trinity?

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    So Christ was God through some kind of hypostatic entanglement. Some sort of superposition. The analogy lies within the quantum world. There will be a distinct 3-ness to it.

Leave a comment:

• Diogenes
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    "Even"? I might need new glasses but I'm not blind smiley old.gif
    ......It was more a reference to your quoting me when I gave the link and Hypatia's assertion of me making an unsupported pronouncement of what Nestorius wrote as seen in Post #110

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I quoted the letter and linked it in #Post 106.

Even rogue06 saw the linked citation. The link you cite now is the actual the link I used.
    "Even"? I might need new glasses but I'm not blind smiley old.gif

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I quoted the letter and linked it in #Post 106.

Even rogue06 saw the linked citation. The link you cite now is the actual the link I used.
    Yes I know that. The blue link did not show up at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    No. It's an amalgamation of literary devices!

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    It's all in the literary devices. These devices that we use to share ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Someone in this conversation is guilty of amalgamating metaphors.

Leave a comment: