Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Self-Refuting or Self-denial fallacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    No, simplistic foolish moronic physical facts does not address the issues in philosophy and logic.
    Then answer me Shuny, can true contradictions exist - yes or no?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      A simple reading comprehension of his example shows that the fallacy would be being committed by the original person, not the one asking if that were absolutely true, depending on the answer to that question.

From your original link With you and seers names substituted.:

A non-fallacious dialog:

Shuny: "There is no absolute truth."
      Seer: "So is THAT absolutely true??" (asked rhetorically)
      Shuny: "I don't know. In my worldview, my statements are probability based; they're not based on a false sense of certainty."

As Bo says: The fallacy is in making a self defeating statement, not in questioning if it is self-defeating.

So if the conversation went like this:
      Shuny: "There is no absolute truth"
      Seer: "So is THAT absolutely true?"
      Shuny: "Yes!"

Then You, Shuny, would be the one committing the fallacy of a self-defeating statement. Seer would not have committed a fallacy in either example. THAT is what BO said in his page. Go read it again. You just basically shot yourself in the foot and everyone can see it but you.

I eagerly await you putting your fingers in your ears and going "nananananana, I can't hear you!!" and repeating yourself.
      Your imaginary dialogue with the rabbit from Alice of Wonderland does not accurately quote my posts.

For example; I never mentioned the issue of probability in any of my posts.

Comment

Your imaginary dialogue with the rabbit from Alice of Wonderland does not accurately quote my posts.

Shuny, can true contradictions exist - yes or no?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

choreo.gif

Dance, Dance Revolution!!!
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]16636[/ATTACH]

Dance, Dance Revolution!!!
            Yes, this represents sparkos foolishness, and misrepresentation of my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Shuny, can true contradictions exist - yes or no?
              Answered that many many times.

This does not address the issue that sparko misquoted and misrepresented my posts.

Comment

I was showing you what BO said in his posts, from your own link, using your and Seer's names instead to show you the relative positions of the argument and what would make it fallacious or not.

Basically you said that humans can never know absolute truths.
                Seer asked you if you were absolutely sure.

That was not a fallacy on his part. It was pointing out the POTENTIAL fallacy on your part. If you were to answer "yes" then it would have been a fallacy on your part. It was NEVER a fallacy on Seer's part.

As expected, you just put your fingers in your ears and ignore everything while everyone looks at you and laughs at your ridiculous claims.

Comment

I was showing you what BO said in his posts, from your own link, using your and Seer's names instead to show you the relative positions of the argument and what would make it fallacious or not.
                  Again Bo refers to seer's statement as a fallacy

Basically you said that humans can never know absolute truths.
                  Seer asked you if you were absolutely sure.
                  Which is fundamentally a fallacy in different ways as documented.

That was not a fallacy on his part. It was pointing out the POTENTIAL fallacy on your part. If you were to answer "yes" then it would have been a fallacy on your part. It was NEVER a fallacy on Seer's part.
                  The statement is a fallacy in any argument and in any context.

As expected, you just put your fingers in your ears and ignore everything while everyone looks at you and laughs at your ridiculous claims.
                  As expected . . .

Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-28-2016, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Yes, this represents sparkos foolishness, and misrepresentation of my posts.
                    It represents your dancing to avoid admitting you made a mistake. And you did make one.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

As expected . . .

annnd we are in repeat mode. Great.

Your entire thread trying to blame Seer for committing a logical fallacy, is incorrect. The only person who committed a logical fallacy is you. And everyone is now laughing at your ridiculous stance and position of self-denial.

This is you Shuny:

Comment

No you haven't, stop fibbing - can true contradictions exist - yes or no?

Comment

It represents your dancing to avoid admitting you made a mistake. And you did make one.
                          What mistake?

Comment

What mistake?
                            exerciser.gif chickendance.gif dancinspidey.gif
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16637[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]16638[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]16639[/ATTACH]
                              Duck, Bob and Weave in Alice in Wonderland

Comment

annnd we are in repeat mode. Great.

Your entire thread trying to blame Seer for committing a logical fallacy, is incorrect. The only person who committed a logical fallacy is you. And everyone is now laughing at your ridiculous stance and position of self-denial.

This is you Shuny:

This does not address the issue that sparko misquoted and misrepresented my posts.

Comment