Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hugh Hefner is now in hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Sure, no problem. Done. It makes no difference.
    It makes no difference only because you continue to dishonestly truncate the second quote:

"...there are historical points on which the Bible can't be tested for one reason or another, for instance, cases where the data is incomplete, such as the Lukan census which has a number of plausible solutions but is, at worst, untestable due to a lack of conclusive evidence."

If it makes no difference, as you claim, then go ahead and put the full statement, as I've presented it, in your signature quote.

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Of course, adding the "it could be argued that" clause, which was in no way present in your original statement...
    It's inferred. The phrase "at worst" implies there are a range of possibilities and is precisely why the two statements are not contradictory.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      It makes no difference only because you continue to dishonestly truncate the second quote:

"...there are historical points on which the Bible can't be tested for one reason or another, for instance, cases where the data is incomplete, such as the Lukan census which has a number of plausible solutions but is, at worst, untestable due to a lack of conclusive evidence."

If it makes no difference, as you claim, then go ahead and put the full statement, as I've presented it, in your signature quote.
      Again, done. Though I've removed the links due to the 500 character limit.

Any other superficial changes you want made, or are you going to stop wasting my time now?

But none of this makes any difference. You contradicted yourself twice, by claiming that there was enough data and Luke's account had been tested, and then that the data might incomplete and the account was possibly untestable.
      It's inferred. The phrase "at worst" implies there are a range of possibilities and is precisely why the two statements are not contradictory.
      So what? If Luke's account has been tested, it is not possibly untestable. There is a range of possibilities in tossing a coin, but if you've already tossed it and got 'H', then 'T' is no longer possible. You contradicted yourself, and no amount of wriggling or rewriting will get you off the hook.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Again, done.
        Thank you.

Comment

Any other superficial changes you want made, or are you going to stop wasting my time now?
          I enjoy reading these posts so I would not say it is a complete waste of time though I get your point. He sure did contradict himself and there is no escape.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
            I enjoy reading these posts so I would not say it is a complete waste of time though I get your point. He sure did contradict himself and there is no escape.
            Nope.

Maybe if I flip it around then you guys will finally get it... or maybe not, which is fine with me because it amuses me that people will look at Roy's signature and say, "Huh? How did Mountain Man destroy his own argument? "

Anyway:

"...there are historical points on which the Bible can't be tested for one reason or another, for instance, cases where the data is incomplete, such as the Lukan census which has a number of plausible solutions but is, at worst, untestable due to a lack of conclusive evidence. [However, Glenn Miller's essay] has more than enough facts and data to support the conclusion that Luke's history was bang-on accurate with regards to who conducted the census and when."

You see? No contradiction.

Comment

Nope.

Maybe if I flip it around then you guys will finally get it... or maybe not, which is fine with me because it amuses me that people will look at Roy's signature and say, "Huh? How did Mountain Man destroy his own argument? "
              Hint: not every-one is as dumb as you are.

Anyway:

"...there are historical points on which the Bible can't be tested for one reason or another, for instance, cases where the data is incomplete, such as the Lukan census which has a number of plausible solutions but is, at worst, untestable due to a lack of conclusive evidence. [However, Glenn Miller's essay] has more than enough facts and data to support the conclusion that Luke's history was bang-on accurate with regards to who conducted the census and when."

You see? No contradiction.
              So Luke's account is still both untestable and bang-on accurate!?
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• As I expected, you still don't get it.

Comment

As I expected, you still don't get it.
                  I've got it. You stupidly claimed that something that can't be tested is bang-on accurate, and you're trying to pretend that makes sense.

Comment

I've got it. You stupidly claimed that something that can't be tested is bang-on accurate, and you're trying to pretend that makes sense.
                    I said that "at worst" it was untestable. It's obviously not actually untestable given the fact that there is, in fact, quite a bit of evidence to support the conclusion that Luke's history was accurate. I conceded that the data is incomplete, but you appear to have read this to mean "non-existent".

I'm sorry, man, but this just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

Comment

I said that "at worst" it was untestable.
                      You also said "...there are historical points on which the Bible can't be tested for one reason or another, for instance, cases where the data is incomplete, such as the Lukan census...". No wriggle room there.
                      It's obviously not actually untestable...
                      Bingo! But then, if it's obviously not untestable, why did you use say it was one of the "historical points on which the Bible can't be tested" and that it was "at worst, untestable"? It can't be "at worst, untestable" if it's obviously not untestable. Right?
                      ...given the fact that there is, in fact, quite a bit of evidence to support the conclusion that Luke's history was accurate.
                      Yeah, you keep saying that. But since your cited sources disagree on when the census was, who took it and even what Luke meant, why should anyone care?
                      I conceded that the data is incomplete, but you appear to have read this to mean "non-existent".
                      Can't support your ridiculously contradictory claims, so pretend some-one else misunderstood them? Not going to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                        It makes me sad you guys would worship a God who would send people to hell. Says a lot about you as people really.
                        God doesn't send people to hell, people choose their own fate
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          God doesn't send people to hell, people choose their own fate
                          Don't be silly, many people in the world don't even know about the god you believe in, and if they don't know him, they can't believe in him, and if they don't believe in him, well, no heaven for them. Hugh Heffner's existence has ended, enjoy your life.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Don't be silly, many people in the world don't even know about the god you believe in, and if they don't know him, they can't believe in him, and if they don't believe in him, well, no heaven for them. Hugh Heffner's existence has ended, enjoy your life.
                            you don't go to hell for not believing in God. You go to hell for sinning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              you don't go to hell for not believing in God. You go to hell for sinning.
                              No you don't, we are all sinners, remember. If the above were true, we would all go to hell. According to your religion that is!

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                                It makes me sad you guys would worship a God who would send people to hell. Says a lot about you as people really.
                                Makes me sad people like you want to deny reality of God who sends people to hell. Repent!!!
                                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment