Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pagan origins of Judaism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pagan origins of Judaism

Originally posted by Rational Gaze
    Christianity IS an evolution of an older religion... Judaism. Although it is likely that Abraham lived in a polytheistic society, and we see plenty of cases where the Israelites fell into pagan worship, there is just zero evidence that either evolved from any sort of paganism.
    Rational Gaze made the above statement in Techtonics. I challenge the view that there is 'zero evidence.' I believe that throughout the OT there is evidence of a direct link between Canaanite and Babylonian paganism. The Hebrews were originally a Canaanite pastoral tribe of the hills of Judea. The OT is full of descriptions of Canaanite Divinities, and pre-Babylonian myths indicating distinct origins of pagan cultures, and actual Canaanite text.

First point is the origins of Melchizedek

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Rational Gaze made the above statement in Techtonics. I challenge the view that there is 'zero evidence.' I believe that throughout the OT there is evidence of a direct link between Canaanite and Babylonian paganism. The Hebrews were originally a Canaanite pastoral tribe of the hills of Judea. The OT is full of descriptions of Canaanite Divinities, and pre-Babylonian myths indicating distinct origins of pagan cultures, and actual Canaanite text.

First point is the origins of Melchizedek
    There's a whole lotta speculation goin' on in that article, some of it nutty (e.g., the putative Zadokite-Levite conflict). There is no hint of any sort of pantheon in the Hebrew scriptures - only one God referred to in various ways, one of which is "El Elyon". The Documentary Hypothesis (and the History of Religions School in general), upon which much of this speculation seems to be based, is largely speculation based on faulty premises.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      There's a whole lotta speculation goin' on in that article, some of it nutty (e.g., the putative Zadokite-Levite conflict). There is no hint of any sort of pantheon in the Hebrew scriptures - only one God referred to in various ways, one of which is "El Elyon". The Documentary Hypothesis (and the History of Religions School in general), upon which much of this speculation seems to be based, is largely speculation based on faulty premises.
      Not to mention that he's already demonstrated time and time again that he barely has a clue on this subject, even from a critical perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Not to mention that he's already demonstrated time and time again that he barely has a clue on this subject, even from a critical perspective.
        Well if you assume the Bible is not trustworthy you can make up anything you like.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Well if you assume the Bible is not trustworthy you can make up anything you like.
          It wouldn't bug me so much if he was familiar with the works of those critical scholars he's (unintentionally) invoking (Michael Coogan, John Day, Mark S. Smith, William Dever, Ziony Zevit, etc.), but he hasn't actually read anything by them, so he's going by half skimmed google web searches, and whatever he can remember from showmeproof (who had read these scholars). What we end up with is a mishmash of actual critical scholarship mixed with a lot of shunya's own idiosyncratic and barely grasped understanding of the subject.

The worse part is that, anytime anyone critiques his understanding of the critical views that he's attempting to promote and defend, he seems to believe that you're critiquing the actual view. He has it in his mind that it's some sort of tricky Christian trap or debate technique. But that's not it at all. Some of us are simply familiar with the subject matter, and are trying to help him understand (and argue!) the context of his own claims.

It's all very frustrating, which is why I rarely engage in debate with him anymore. It's a lot like arguing with a child who has a coloring book understanding of particle physics, and the child insisting that he knows more than the guy who's read Weinberg, Feynman, and Kaku.
          Last edited by Adrift; 02-02-2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

This is not an intelligible response. Melchezidek did indeed originated as the reference to a Canaanite God.

Comment

It wouldn't bug me so much if he was familiar with the works of those critical scholars he's (unintentionally) invoking (Michael Coogan, John Day, Mark S. Smith, William Dever, Ziony Zevit, etc.), but he hasn't actually read anything by them, so he's going by half skimmed google web searches, and whatever he can remember from showmeproof (who had read these scholars). What we end up with is a mishmash of actual critical scholarship mixed with a lot of shunya's own idiosyncratic and barely grasped understanding of the subject.

The worse part is that, anytime anyone critiques his understanding of the critical views that he's attempting to promote and defend, he seems to believe that you're critiquing the actual view. He has it in his mind that it's some sort of tricky Christian trap or debate technique. But that's not it at all. Some of us are simply familiar with the subject matter, and are trying to help him understand (and argue!) the context of his own claims.

It's all very frustrating, which is why I rarely engage in debate with him anymore. It's a lot like arguing with a child who has a coloring book understanding of particle physics, and the child insisting that he knows more than the guy who's read Weinberg, Feynman, and Kaku.
              Again, not an intelligible response.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                Nothing made up, Melchezidek is indeed in Canaanite language and refers to a Canaanite God.

Comment

Again, not an intelligible response.
                  See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm clearly talking Jedidiah, but he apparently thinks I'm responding directly to his OP. He either doesn't understand that the post was not meant to be intelligible as it relates directly to the OP, or he simply doesn't know what the word "intelligible" means.

I can say that in all of my years of forum posting, I've never met anyone quite like him (and he can take that as he will).

Comment

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm clearly talking Jedidiah, but he apparently thinks I'm responding directly to his OP. He either doesn't understand that the post was not meant to be intelligible as it relates directly to the OP, or he simply doesn't know what the word "intelligible" means.

I can say that in all of my years of forum posting, I've never met anyone quite like him (and he can take that as he will).
                    It is best to respond to the OP in a meaningful way, and avoid meaningless banter. It, of course, was not clear what you were referring to. Regardless I was referring to your post as having a lack of substance in responding to the intent of the thread.

Comment

This is not an intelligible response. Melchezidek did indeed originated as the reference to a Canaanite God.
                      Even your pop-level source isn't dogmatic on that!
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Even your pop-level source isn't dogmatic on that!
                        Meaningful references please!!!

Comment

It is best to respond to the OP in a meaningful way, and avoid meaningless banter.
                          Oh, the irony. You're the king of meaningless banter, shunya.
                          sigpic

Comment

Meaningful references please!!!
                            Did you even read what you posted?

ETA: Here, I'll quote it for you.
                            Source: Britannica article

or

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by One Bad Pig; 02-02-2016, 03:59 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh, the irony. You're the king of meaningless banter, shunya.
                              Air balls, no meaningful responses do far.

Comment