Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Animals Doing What Animals Do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Enjolras View Post
    The dictionary assumes humans (sentient beings) are the agents. I thought that was obvious. Moral conduct has to do with how humans treat one another. I'm not sure if you are just being pedantic for the fun of it, or if you really don't understand this.
    I'm not being pedantic, you're being dishonest. Humans being the agents =/= it concerns the well being of sentient beings.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      Originally posted by Enjolras View Post
      To say that there are objective moral values is to say that something is good or evil independently of whether anybody believes it to be so. "Do not harm" is such an objective standard.
      I agree. So is reciprocity. As a moral principle, reciprocity 'works' whether one believes it or not.
      So reciprocity of harm 'works' too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
        So reciprocity of harm 'works' too?
        No. In terms of greatest good to the greatest number.

Comment

No. In terms of greatest good to the greatest number.
          Ah, so you add a utilitarian modifier.

Oh, and by the way, since you've found it in yourself to continue posting here, mind answering my earlier question?

Comment

Ah, so you add a utilitarian modifier.

Oh, and by the way, since you've found it in yourself to continue posting here, mind answering my earlier question?
            I forget what it was and I can't be bothered looking. If it's important like continuing debates on the legitimacy of various moral philosophies I'm sure it will come up again.

Whoops, that sounds a little rude. Explanation:I'm lying on my bed with my tablet and im tired and very hot. Heat wave.
            Last edited by pancreasman; 11-22-2014, 02:01 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

I forget what it was and I can't be bothered looking.

Originally posted by pancreasman
              I doubt whether any thread started by Seer can ever lead to anything good. I shouldn't have said anything at all. My mistake.
              Perhaps you should learn self-control.

Comment

Perhaps you should learn self-control.
                You're probably right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
                  And what if there was a God but no afterlife?
                  But there isn't.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Enjolras View Post
                    To say that there are objective moral values is to say that something is good or evil independently of whether anybody believes it to be so. "Do not harm" is such an objective standard.
                    No, by definition is it an opinion, a subjective opinion. "Do no harm" is a subjective moral goal. Some men, even a significant number through out history, have a different ethical goal - one that harms men for personal power and wealth. I could claim that their standard is just as objective as yours - as the saying goes - "He with the most gold rules." So now we have two "objective" ethical goals - so which one is correct? The point is Enjolras, if I follow your reasoning I could invent any ethical system and call it objective.
                    Last edited by seer; 11-22-2014, 05:46 AM.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      No, by definition is it an opinion, a subjective opinion. "Do no harm" is a subjective moral goal. Some men, even a significant number through out history, have a different ethical goal - one that harms men for personal power and wealth. I could claim that their standard is just as objective as yours - as the saying goes - "He with the most gold rules." So now we have two "objective" ethical goals - so which one is correct? The point is Enjolras, if I follow your reasoning I could invent any ethical system and call it objective.
                      The reason do no harm works and "it's ok to kill whoever you feel like" doesn't is because somebody will come after you the moment you let your guard down or show signs of weakness. Who wants to live their life that way? Pol Pot, Saddam, Richard Ramirez, think about the way their lives ended. Were these really happy people, regardless of whatever lies they might have told themselves?
                      O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

But there isn't.
                        Not the point. My point is that your morality is just as based on happiness as secular morality is. When you start to sound like you care more about living forever than you do about serving God, you're proving my point.
                        O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

As long as any system you invent says that "something is good or evil independently of whether anybody believes it to be so," you are correct, that would be an objective system. "Follow the teachings of Jesus" is also objective, as is "obey the dictates of sharia law," or "treat everyone with cruelty," or "give everyone you meet a donut," for that matter. They are objective because they say "something is good or evil independently of whether anybody believes it to be so." On the other hand, "Do whatever feels good to you" or "always look out for your own self-interest" are subjective systems of morality because they do not regard evil or goodness independently of the subject. All I am doing at this point is clarifying the difference between objective and subjective. To say something is objective is not to say it is correct. It just means it is independent of the subject.

Comment

But there isn't.
                            Right.

God has said there is. And we know God never lies because God has told us he never lies. Even though it would be perfectly good if he did lie.
                            My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
                              Not the point. My point is that your morality is just as based on happiness as secular morality is. When you start to sound like you care more about living forever than you do about serving God, you're proving my point.
                              Yes, I want to spend eternity with my Lord and friends and loved ones who have passed. Is that a bad thing?

Comment

Yes, I want to spend eternity with my Lord and friends and loved ones who have passed. Is that a bad thing?
                                What if they're not there?

Comment