Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Satan's Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whag, I don't know if you are really that ignorant or are just acting like it.

The argument Christians use is that since the apostle knew Jesus and were eyewitnesses, they would know if Christianity was true or false. That being the case, they would have no incentive to be tortured to death to protect what they knew to be a lie.

It says nothing about all non eye-witnesses recanting their testimony. Simply put, if someone was just taking the apostles word for Christianity, they might indeed die for a lie, since they didn't know it was a lie. But the eye-witnesses WOULD know and would not die for what they knew was a lie.

The rest of your arguments about Satan are just as twisted and bad also. I assume you are just trolling, but perhaps you are really that ignorant. Either way you are not worth our time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko
      Either way you are not worth our time.
      that's not true, and you should speak for yourself.

certainly some stubborn zealots with hot heads will beg for death rather than recant their faith. i imagine the apostles couldn't imagine life in a society which would put a sword to their neck merely because they had a differing theology. indeed,that would be an enjoyable existence.

I understand why you use the apologetic, because you think people think binarily. people are much more complex than that.I used Judas as an example of an inexplicable action. notice that johnny p seemed to agree Judas' actions makes no sense, so he gave some scenarios which explain the action.

read superfically, Judas' actions are those of a madman. read with the context of a superstitious culture brimming with false prophets and religious confusion, the stories make more sense. this was a culture that thought it morally acceptable to forge documents in other people's "authoritative" names. think about the moral confusion that abounded. give it a try and don't be afraid.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          How do you draw your conclusion what Christians believe on the account of holy scripture to be myth. Please give a step by step explanation. Thanks.
          If you don't know that genesis and job are myths by now, you must be a fundamentalist. Only fundamentalists insist that these stories are pure recorded history.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
            If you don't know that genesis and job are myths by now, you must be a fundamentalist. Only fundamentalists insist that these stories are pure recorded history.
            More stupidity from whag.

Whag, have you ever gotten anything right when it comes to understanding Christianity?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              More stupidity from whag.

Whag, have you ever gotten anything right when it comes to understanding Christianity?
              Yes, in particular, that Genesis is wrong about biology and therefore a myth and also that Job isn't a historical account. Thank you for your time.

Comment

Yes, in particular, that Genesis is wrong about biology and therefore a myth and also that Job isn't a historical account. Thank you for your time.
                proclaiming your view doesn't make it correct, you imbecile.

Comment

proclaiming your view doesn't make it correct, you imbecile.
                  Calling someone an imbecile makes you appear easily agitated. This is not a good attitude. Take a brisk walk.

Again, Genesis and Job are only historical accounts to fundamentalists. More reasonable Christians with a modicum of scientific and historical knowledge (even high school-level knowledge), understand this. Thank you for your time.

Comment

Calling someone an imbecile makes you appear easily agitated. This is not a good attitude. Take a brisk walk.

Again, Genesis and Job are only historical accounts to fundamentalists. More reasonable Christians with a modicum of scientific and historical knowledge (even high school-level knowledge), understand this. Thank you for your time.
                    I called you an imbecile because you act like one. You don't have a clue what Christians or Christian fundamentalists believe. You don't understand what we believe about Satan, or about Genesis, or Job, or God, or anything. And pretending you do makes you look like an imbecile.

Comment

I called you an imbecile because you act like one. You don't have a clue what Christians or Christian fundamentalists believe. You don't understand what we believe about Satan, or about Genesis, or Job, or God, or anything. And pretending you do makes you look like an imbecile.
                      Actually, he seems to have a more or less accurate understanding of the current state of biblical scholarship. The earliest chapters of Genesis, at least, are generally regarded as intended as something other than literal history, and Job is typically regarded as part of the wisdom literature rather than as part of the historical account of the Israelites.
                      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Actually, I do. Instead of name calling, you should simply present your case that Job is a historical account rather than obvious myth. It's kind of strange you think God and Satan literally interact that way. This is only controversial to Christian fundamentalists.

Go outside and take some deep breaths. You need it. Thank you for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                          Actually, he seems to have a more or less accurate understanding of the current state of biblical scholarship. The earliest chapters of Genesis, at least, are generally regarded as intended as something other than literal history, and Job is typically regarded as part of the wisdom literature rather than as part of the historical account of the Israelites.
                          Thank you. Yes, I did not think I was making a really controversial claim here!

Comment

Thank you. Yes, I did not think I was making a really controversial claim here!
                            I never said that some Christians didn't believe parts of Genesis or Job were "myth" - I said that not only fundamentalists believe it is history.

Not to mention you seem not to know what is in Genesis in the first place. It is not just the creation story and Noah.

Comment

I never said that some Christians didn't believe parts of Genesis or Job were "myth" - I said that not only fundamentalists believe it is history.
                              I never said some Christians don't try to shoehorn historicity into myth. That's obvious. Usually that involves a heavy amount of speculation. Such as JohnnyP's speculations about Satan the helpmeet. =)

what I didn't let you get away with was your implication that Genesis and Job are historical accounts. They're actually reworked myths.

Not to mention you seem not to know what is in Genesis in the first place. It is not just the creation story and Noah.
                              It was obvious I was talking about the beginning of Genesis, but, yes, you have a point. Stories about demons having sex with human girls--and donkeys that talk--must certainly be historical. They MUST be. Thank you for your time.

Comment

I never said some Christians don't try to shoehorn historicity into myth. That's obvious. Usually that involves a heavy amount of speculation. Such as JohnnyP's speculations about Satan the helpmeet. =)

what I didn't let you get away with was your implication that Genesis and Job are historical accounts. They're actually reworked myths.

It was obvious I was talking about the beginning of Genesis, but, yes, you have a point. Stories about demons having sex with human girls--and donkeys that talk--must certainly be historical. They MUST be. Thank you for your time.

again, you just toss out your opinion as fact. You are a twit.

Comment