Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can we trust what God says?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    So you have observed nature at the far edges of our universe? You have observed nature 10 billion years back? You have observed the nature of the future?
    This again represents the fallacy from ignorance, which again and again and again the arguments Mr. Black and you are pleading fallacies here.

Again, wrong about what?
    Here for starters . . .

Originally posted by seer
    No God, no certainty. No ground for human rationality or the uniformity of nature
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-12-2014, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Methodological Naturalism has determined that our physical existence is uniform beyond a reasonable doubt. The observations throughout the history of science has confirmed. this with 100% of all observations.
    So you have observed nature at the far edges of our universe? You have observed nature 10 billion years back? You have observed the nature of the future?

You have also failed to answer the question: Could you be wrong?
    Again, wrong about what?

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Shuny you know what beyond a reasonable doubt? That is just silly, you know no such thing, it is a pure guess. And wrong about what? That we can not know if nature is uniform universally, if it was in the past or will be in the future apart from God? If you think otherwise please feel free to prove it.
    Methodological Naturalism has determined that our physical existence is uniform beyond a reasonable doubt. The observations throughout the history of science has confirmed. this with 100% of all observations. If you ,like Mr. Black, would like to offer another scenario where there is evidence that our physical existence is not uniform, please do, but at present you have only made assertions, and arguments from ignorance, i.e. we do not know the future. Still waiting . . .

You have also failed to answer the question: Could you be wrong?

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Black
    You've misunderstood. Science is fine. I love it in fact.
    You love that it delivered you creature comforts, that's certain. It's far less likely you love the methodologies that extract reliable knowledge from nature. You're at extreme tension with the general revelation.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    I simply know by the practical knowledge of science beyond a reasonable doubt. You have failed to answer: Could you be wrong about that?"
    Shuny you know what beyond a reasonable doubt? That is just silly, you know no such thing, it is a pure guess. And wrong about what? That we can not know if nature is uniform universally, if it was in the past or will be in the future apart from God? If you think otherwise please feel free to prove it.

Acknowledging the absolute knowledge of God does not detract from the certainty (certainty here does not mean absolute certainty, it reflects the human knowledge as in the definitions I provided.) and practicality of human knowledge about our physical existence.
    What is the difference between absolute certainty and certainty - that makes no sense.

Certain: Known for sure; established beyond doubt
    Last edited by seer; 09-12-2014, 08:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    No Shuny, I'm making the claim that we can not know if nature is uniform universally, if it was in the past or will be in the future. Apart from God's revelation. If you think that claim is wrong please show how you can know these things.
    I simply know by the practical knowledge of science beyond a reasonable doubt. You have failed to answer: Could you be wrong about that?"

What?
    Does not answer, please read again and respond. I see no viable logical argument here only assertions from Mr. Black and you.

Acknowledging the absolute knowledge of God does not detract from the certainty (certainty here does not mean absolute certainty, it reflects the human knowledge as in the definitions I provided.) and practicality of human knowledge about our physical existence.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-12-2014, 07:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Your making an absolute statement 'So you can not know if nature is uniform.' Could you be wrong about that?
    No Shuny, I'm making the claim that we can not know if nature is uniform universally, if it was in the past or will be in the future. Apart from God's revelation. If you think that claim is wrong please show how you can know these things.

Yes, I believe that God knows absolutely the physical nature of our physical existence, and not humans. You are making an absolute statement, and saying only 'God knows' to support it. Problem here concerning what Mr. Black and have to offer for this assertion other then 'only God knows.'
    What?

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    So you can not know if nature is uniform. If the past is like the present, or if the future will be like the present, of if the laws that we observe are in operation universally. And I'm not trying to disprove uniformity, I'm just showing that uniformity can only be known for certain by an all knowing Being like God. Science can not know that and we humans can not know that unless such a Being communicated that knowledge to us.

Your making an absolute statement 'So you can not know if nature is uniform.' Could you be wrong about that?

Yes, I believe that God knows absolutely the physical nature of our physical existence, and not humans. You are making an absolute statement, and saying only 'God knows' to support it. Problem here concerning what Mr. Black and have to offer for this assertion other then 'only God
    knows.'

Your not addressing the nature of functional knowledge of human knowledge that we can know things 'beyond a reasonable doubt' and it works in the real world to develop our knowledge of science. You do not question the univerality and uniformity of scientific knowledge when you fly in jet passenger plane with confidence. This is the same scientific knowledge that supports evolution with the accepted belief that different Natural Laws not time issues of scientific knowledge will not be different in the future.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-12-2014, 07:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    This argument by definition is riddled with fallacies as cited. You cannot prove the negative, nor can you appeal to ignorance to disprove uniformity.
    So you can not know if nature is uniform. If the past is like the present, or if the future will be like the present, of if the laws that we observe are in operation universally. And I'm not trying to disprove uniformity, I'm just showing that uniformity can only be known for certain by an all knowing Being like God. Science can not know that and we humans can not know that unless such a Being communicated that knowledge to us.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Black View Post
    Perceptive! I would make a few revisions to your assessment, but you're pretty darn close. No appeal to evidence or argument can trump the clear teaching of the God who's Scripture, because to appeal to evidence or argument requires the preconditions of intelligibility (laws of logic, uniformity of nature, moral absolutes, basic reliability of senses, memory, cognitive faculties, etc), and those presuppose the biblical God.
    Basically your argument here is that information presupposes an intelligence, a mind or specifically from your perspective a God, a God that embody's that information and by extension is embodied in the world he creates. This seems to me to be no more than a baseless assertion since the existence of information does not necessarily presupose a mind in which that information is embodied. Information can exist outside of a mind, in a universe say, a universe without any preconditions of intelligibility, a.k.a. knowledge. Knowledge on the other hand would require a functioning mind, a.k.a. a brain, in which the information can be stored, but said mind need not possess the preconditios of intelligibility as you call them, since they, the laws of logic, the uniformity of nature, morality (not absolute), pre-exist the mind as information to be found outside the mind.

I would (respectfully) disagree with (what I believe to be) your conclusion though. Talking past each other isn't necessary. If both sides simply appeal to "evidence" we'll each interpret it according to our worldview---that would be talking past each other. Plus, if I were to argue for God in that way, I would have to assume that knowledge can be had apart from Him, since I'd be concluding that God exists based on my knowledge other things----and it would also beg the question by assuming that God's claim that he is not to be put to the test (Deuteronomy 6:16, reiterated by Jesus in Luke 4:12) is false from the start. So since the entire thing is gonna boil down to worldviews, the presupper says, "Ok, you assume your worldview, I'll assume mine, and now I'll ask, 'Which worldview can make sense out of human experience?' "
    Again, why do you assume that information musts needs be embodied in a mind? Once information becomes known, or is embodied in a mind, then it becomes knowledge, but why do you assume that the information itself presupposes an intelligence or a mind?

Leave a comment:

• NormATive
    replied
    The problem with Mr. Black's argument is that it is entirely fabricated from knowledge he gleaned from a book. A book demonstrably written by men.

Since he is under the delusion of believing that these men speak for the all-knowing, all powerful God of the universe, naturally he would come to the conclusion that he is right, and all opposed are wrong.

How did he come to this delusion?

'Tis a trickery of the mind that it is possible to transcend humanity.

NORM

Leave a comment:

• Doug Shaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Black View Post
    If non-christians want to disagree with the biblical God they need to show that knowledge is possible apart from Him . . . .
    I'm not disagreeing with any god. I'm disagreeing with some human beings who say they know something about some god.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Where did I or Black claim to know the absolute truth about everything?
    the challenge to me from both of you is the I admit I do not absolutely know everything, I know things 'beyond a reasonable doubt.' unless Mr. Black and you likewise give an explanation why you do not absolutely know, then I have no other conclusion from the posts.

;quote] Really Shuny? How does naturalism ground an intelligible universe and human rationality. [/quote]

Could you be wrong about the above conclusion?

The methodological Naturalism has demonstrated natural causes for the physical nature of our existence including evolution. There is no viable proof or argument fro the negative. So far, Mr. Black and you have only made assertions with negative unknowns to justify your arguments, which fail.

How can you prove or even demonstrate that Natural Law and causes CANNOT be responsible for an intelligible universe and natural evolution?
    . . . And could you be wrong about the above conclusion?
    Fallacy again and again and again, and no meaningful response.

No Shuny, it is not a fallacy, it is a fact, there is no way you can know that nature is uniformed - universally. Past or future.
    This argument by definition is riddled with fallacies as cited. You cannot prove the negative, nor can you appeal to ignorance to disprove uniformity.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-11-2014, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Admitting one does not absolutely know all knowledge is justified and not a weakness, based on the fallibility of human nature. I believe that the absolute truth resides with God, not humanity. If Mr. Black and you claim to absolutely know the truth of everything, then there is a problem here that both of you are not in touch with the reality of being human.
    Where did I or Black claim to know the absolute truth about everything?

No, there is no objective evidence that would indicate that Naturalism alone could not explain an intelligible universe. The other problem with this line of logic is you cannot prove the negative in this case. Such an effort would be a fallacy.
    Really Shuny? How does naturalism ground an intelligible universe and human rationality. And could you be wrong about the above conclusion?

The claim that Mr. Black and likely you argue that unknowns like the future and other places in the universe that are not testable nor tested by science presents a case where the belief in the uniformity of nature cannot be made is a fallacy also. You cannot argue for a positive nor a negative conclusion based on what is unknown nor cannot be known, I. e. the future.
    No Shuny, it is not a fallacy, it is a fact, there is no way you can know that nature is uniformed - universally. Past or future.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Actually no it can't, that is the point that Mr Black has been drumming into your head. You already admitted Shuny that you could be wrong about everything you know. That would include your conclusion above. No God, no certainty. No ground for human rationality or the the uniformity of nature.
    Admitting one does not absolutely know all knowledge is justified and not a weakness, based on the fallibility of human nature. I believe that the absolute truth resides with God, not humanity. If Mr. Black and you claim to absolutely know the truth of everything, then there is a problem here that both of you are not in touch with the reality of being human.

No, there is no objective evidence that would indicate that Naturalism alone could not explain an intelligible universe. The other problem with this line of logic is you cannot prove the negative in this case. Such an effort would be a fallacy.

The claim that Mr. Black and likely you argue that unknowns like the future and other places in the universe that are not testable nor tested by science presents a case where the belief in the uniformity of nature cannot be made is a fallacy also. You cannot argue for a positive nor a negative conclusion based on what is unknown nor cannot be known, I. e. the future. Take your pick:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Leave a comment: