Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bayesian analysis for beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
    For the moment, let's assume that that is the case. In this respect, does Bayesian analysis differ from any alternative method of historical inquiry?
    In terms of the historical judgment being 'subjective'? No, it does not differ in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      In terms of the historical judgment being 'subjective'? No, it does not differ in this respect.
      I do not equate "I assert that it is so" with "It is my subjective judgment."

Comment

I do not equate "I assert that it is so" with "It is my subjective judgment."
        I am not claiming that when a person says "I assert that it is so" that he necessarily intends to convey "It is my subjective judgment", rather that when he says "I assert that it is so" with respect to the value of a prior probability of a historical event he is making a 'subjective' judgment.

Comment

I am not claiming that when a person says "I assert that it is so" that he necessarily intends to convey "It is my subjective judgment", rather that when he says "I assert that it is so" with respect to the value of a prior probability of a historical event he is making a 'subjective' judgment.
          OK. So, do you believe there are any objective judgments in the study of history?

Comment

I think there are degrees of subjectivity and inter-subjectivity in the great majority of (especially ancient) historical judgments.
            אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

OK. So, do you believe there are any objective judgments in the study of history?
              There is no Cartesian objectivity.

Comment

All pretensions to objectivity are pretensions to abstract Godhood, and should me made, if at all, only by worshipers of that God.

Comment

There is no Cartesian objectivity.
                  When I took my class on Descartes, we didn't cover his view of objectivity. Does it differ from what people nowadays usually mean when they talk about objectivity?

Comment

When I took my class on Descartes, we didn't cover his view of objectivity. Does it differ from what people nowadays usually mean when they talk about objectivity?
                    I have in mind two main conceptions of the objective. Roughly, the first is that there is something real out there. The second is that there is a unbiased, 'privileged' perspective from which to regard the real.

My claim is that the latter does not exist for us humans.

Comment

I have in mind two main conceptions of the objective. Roughly, the first is that there is something real out there. The second is that there is a unbiased, 'privileged' perspective from which to regard the real.

I agree with you on both points.
                      Last edited by Doug Shaver; 05-19-2014, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        That they've used it doesn't validate the methodology.
                        Bayesian Analysis maybe useful if you have hard data, but it is dependent on the assumptions of the information and data used, which maybe easily manipulated when dealing when subjective assumptions are made concerning the data input.

Bayesian analysis has been very successful in analyzing archeological data.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-23-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I have in mind two main conceptions of the objective. Roughly, the first is that there is something real out there.
                          I consider this too vague and not useful.

The second is that there is a unbiased, 'privileged' perspective from which to regard the real.

Agreed.

The problems with the above appear when on tries to define a slippery concept like 'Objective morality.'

I prefer to use 'objective' in the more practical sense; as evidence in the real physical world to justify falsification in science, historical evidence, or a hypothesis for an argument.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-23-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            but it is dependent on the assumptions of the information and data used, which maybe easily manipulated when dealing when subjective assumptions are made concerning the data input.
                            If the question is: Does this evidence support that conclusion? then what method of answering the question is not dependent on such assumptions?

Comment

If the question is: Does this evidence support that conclusion? then what method of answering the question is not dependent on such assumptions?
                              It depends on what you have to use as evidence. In terms of evaluating archeological finds you have objective hard data. If you are trying to justify the Resurrection you have none.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver
                                Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                It depends on what you have to use as evidence. In terms of evaluating archeological finds you have objective hard data. If you are trying to justify the Resurrection you have none.
                                Those objective hard data are evidence, yes. You were saying, in reference to Bayesian analysis, that it was "dependent on the assumptions of the information and data used." I was asking for an example of a method of analyzing evidence that does not depend on any such assumptions. Can you explain how an archeologist who has discovered some artifact might construct an assumption-free inference about what the artifact tells us about the past?

Comment