Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

So Easy To Be An Atheist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    But Doug, tell me exactly what you disagree with in the definition:

Existential nihilism: is the philosophical theory that life has no intrinsic meaning or value. With respect to the universe, existential nihilism suggests that a single human or even the entire human species is insignificant, without purpose and unlikely to change in the totality of existence. According to the theory, each individual is an isolated being born into the universe, barred from knowing "why", yet compelled to invent meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_nihilism
    If the meaning and purpose of your existence is from god, then you have no meaning or purpose. For what purpose and meaning does god exist?

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Please point out the part of ANY response that I made that leads to this conclusion.
      Oh, so you do believe there can be perversions of our sexual abilities? Since there is no design in your world for human sexuality, logically, how can there be a perversion of use? Like you said if you use a hammer for a paper weight it is not a perversion of design. So how can child rape be a perversion of our sexual abilities.

And just so we are clear:

Perversion:the alteration of something from its original course, meaning, or state to a distortion or corruption of what was first intended.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Oh, so you do believe there can be perversions of our sexual abilities? Since there is no design in your world for human sexuality, logically, how can there be a perversion of use? Like you said if you use a hammer for a paper weight it is not a perversion of design. So how can child rape be a perversion of our sexual abilities.

Perversion:the alteration of something from its original course, meaning, or state to a distortion or corruption of what was first intended.
        Are hermaphrodites designed for a purpose, seer?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Are hermaphrodites designed for a purpose, seer?
          Jim you know that we believe that we are a fallen race, and that effects psychology as well as biology (deformities). That however does not change God's intent or design for human sexuality. Of course in your world there can be no perversions of sexual abilities since there is no design or purpose for those abilities.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Oh, so you do believe there can be perversions of our sexual abilities?
            I haven't said anything about "perversion" in any respect.

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Since there is no design in your world for human sexuality, logically, how can there be a perversion of use?
            The word "perversion" has two meanings. One is generic: "the alteration of something from its original course, meaning, or state to a distortion or corruption of what was first intended." By that definition, my use of a hammer to situate electrical boxes is a "perversion." It's not one that keeps me awake at night. Indeed, I am not particularly bothered by someone deciding to use something in a way other than it was intended.

The second definition is "sexual behavior or desire that is considered abnormal or unacceptable." That definition has nothing to do with "intention" or "design" and has everything to do with norms, especially moral ones.

And I'm NOT going around that horn with you again - unless you actually (finally) have an argument that isn't one of the three "techniques."

Like you said if you use a hammer for a paper weight it is not a perversion of design. So how can child rape be a perversion of our sexual abilities.

See my answer above.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I haven't said anything about "perversion" in any respect.
              You certainly implied it when I said: So you don't see the rape of children as a perversion of our sexual abilities?

Then you said: Please point out the part of ANY response that I made that leads to this conclusion.

So again, is child rape a perversion of our sexual abilities?

The word "perversion" has two meanings. One is generic: "the alteration of something from its original course, meaning, or state to a distortion or corruption of what was first intended." By that definition, my use of a hammer to situate electrical boxes is a "perversion." It's not one that keeps me awake at night. Indeed, I am not particularly bothered by someone deciding to use something in a way other than it was intended.
              Right, and that is the definition I was using in the context of our discussion, which was about purpose and design. And in your example of the hammer. So in that case child rape is no perversion of use - correct?.

Comment

You certainly implied it when I said: So you don't see the rape of children as a perversion of our sexual abilities?

Then you said: Please point out the part of ANY response that I made that leads to this conclusion.

So again, is child rape a perversion of our sexual abilities?
                So you add the word "perversion," which does not appear in any of my posts, and somehow I implied perversion?

Most people see "child rape" as a "perversion" under the second term of the definition. I see it as "perversion" because it robs a child of what should be an innocent upbringing.

Right, and that is the definition I was using in the context of our discussion, which was about purpose and design. And in your example of the hammer. So in that case child rape is no perversion of use - correct?.
                Since life/evolution have no objective "purpose" or "design," perversions of said purpose or design is not possible. Perversion is only measured against the moral norm.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Jim you know that we believe that we are a fallen race, and that effects psychology as well as biology (deformities).
                  That however does not change God's intent or design for human sexuality. Of course in your world there can be no perversions of sexual abilities since there is no design or purpose for those abilities.

Comment

So you add the word "perversion," which does not appear in any of my posts, and somehow I implied perversion?
                    No Carp I added the word prevision, in the context of our discussion about design. And when I suggested that you did not see child rape as a perversion our sexual abilities you balked. It is obvious that you don't.

Most people see "child rape" as a "perversion" under the second term of the definition. I see it as "perversion" because it robs a child of what should be an innocent upbringing.
                    I was not asking about bare assertion or opinion (collective or otherwise), our discussion was in the context of purpose or design.

Comment

Well given your ideas about language there isn't much we can know about anything.
                      I think there is a pertinent distinction between epistemology and the philosophy of language.

Comment

No Carp I added the word prevision, in the context of our discussion about design. And when I suggested that you did not see child rape as a perversion our sexual abilities you balked. It is obvious that you don't.
                        You are free to make any assumption you wish. Child rape is not a "perversion" by the first definition, because there is no evidence that humanity is at is is by "intent" - so there is no "design" or "purpose" at work. There is merely function.

Child rape is broadly seen (by me and most others) as a perversion by the second definition of the term, as noted in my previous post.

I was not asking about bare assertion or opinion (collective or otherwise), our discussion was in the context of purpose or design.
                        You cannot "pervert" a "purpose" or "design" that doesn't exist, so only the second definition applies. Whether or not you like it is not my concern.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                          I think there is a pertinent distinction between epistemology and the philosophy of language.
                          That helps, not...

Comment

That helps, not...
                            I guess that settles it, then.

Comment

Jim you know that we believe that we are a fallen race, and that effects psychology as well as biology (deformities).
                              Yes, I know that you believe that amongst all animals you are special in the eyes of a creator god and that because the first man, Adam, disobeyed him, the sin of being imperfect was inherited by all mankind. It couldn't be though, do you think, that the human species are just naturally imperfect beings in the first place and that disobedience to a god has nothing to do with it? And btw, how did you come to incorporate biology such as human deformities into the mix. Is that biblical, or did you just make that up because you can't incorporate hermaphrodites into your "designed by god" scheme?

That however does not change God's intent or design for human sexuality.
                              So Adam is responsible for the existence of hermaphrodites?

Of course in your world there can be no perversions of sexual abilities since there is no design or purpose for those abilities.
                              There is design, but it is not the design of a creator god, it is natural, just like sexual orientation and hermaphrodites are natural. Apparently the mind doesn't always orientate with the body which is not something you can see with your eyes.
                              Last edited by JimL; 09-15-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

You are free to make any assumption you wish. Child rape is not a "perversion" by the first definition, because there is no evidence that humanity is at is is by "intent" - so there is no "design" or "purpose" at work. There is merely function.
                                Right, in your world it is not a perversion of use.

Child rape is broadly seen (by me and most others) as a perversion by the second definition of the term, as noted in my previous post.
                                I was looking for a logical argument, not bare assertion or opinion, and not an argument from the majority. If there is a design or purpose then logically there can be a perversion of use.

Comment