Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Three irrefutable miracles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Yes exactly! And that's all that need be said in this discussion with 37818. Either Natural Law is the uncaused cause of our physical existence or a deity is. We really have no way of knowing for sure at this stage but I would go for the former as the most likely.
    Uncaused Existence is one thing. Natural laws are many, more than uncaused existence and contingent upon there being uncaused existence. Our physical existence our spacetime has what appears to be a known beginning.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Quoting bible passages, especially pseudepigraphic ones like 2 Peter that barely made it into the canon, is no argument...or are you counting on the converting power of scripture.
      I came across the following:
      Source: The Canonicity of Second Peter, B. B. Warfield, Southern Presbyterian Review, Volume 33, Number 1 (January 1881) page 48

The burden of proof would certainly rest on those who denied its canonicity.

© Copyright Original Source

While I fully doubt that this quote is of any interest to you, I cite it here for others.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Uncaused Existence is one thing. Natural laws are many, more than uncaused existence and contingent upon there being uncaused existence.
        We do not know how many Natural Laws there are in the ultimate uncaused cause of our physical existence. You cannot equate the human laws and theories with the ultimate Natural Law of our physical existence. It is possible there is only one Natural Law that is the uncaused cause of our physical eYou are proposing an unknown hypothetical to justify your religious agenda.

Our physical existence our spacetime has what appears to be a known beginning.
        There is absolutely no objective evidence for anything that 'appears to be a known beginning' as far as the current knowledge of science is concerned.

Comment

Source: The Canonicity of Second Peter, B. B. Warfield, Southern Presbyterian Review, Volume 33, Number 1 (January 1881) page 48

While I fully doubt that this quote is of any interest to you, I cite it here for others.
          This is a religious presupposition to justify a religious agenda and demand proof of the negative. In a less biased perspective in the logic the burden of proof remains with the one making the claim.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-04-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I don't dispute its canonicity. Warfield seems to have equated canonicity with authenticity. I do not.

Comment

The existing canon of scripture is undeniable. The "burden of proof" rests with those who claim it is anything more than a human construct.

Comment

The existing canon of scripture is undeniable. The "burden of proof" rests with those who claim it is anything more than a human construct.
                For those who have come to know God through those Holy Scriptures, those scriptures are self authenticating.

Comment

For those who have come to know God through those Holy Scriptures, those scriptures are self authenticating.

Begging the Question so severe it bites you in the butt.

Comment

That is what Mormons say about their scriptures.

Comment

This is circular reasoning, i.e. a logical fallacy..

Comment

Now prove that the god you've come to know is more than the just the image formed in your mind from reading those scriptures. Had you been born a muslim say, you'd say the same, that you came to know Allah!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Now prove that the god you've come to know is more than the just the image formed in your mind from reading those scriptures. Had you been born a muslim say, you'd say the same, that you came to know Allah!
                          God is knowable even to you. But you do not want to.

Now for starters, prove Muhammad actually knew Allah.

Comment

This is circular reasoning, i.e. a logical fallacy..
                            What is the circular argument you claim is being made?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                              That is what Mormons say about their scriptures.
                              They do not believe the Bible is sufficient. So their additional books are needed.

Comment

God is knowable even to you. But you do not want to.

Now for starters, prove Muhammad actually knew Allah.
                                There is no proof that any claimed Messianic figure or prophet including Jesus Christ knew God in any language.

Comment