Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Could God reincarnate humans if he wanted to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You're making an argument based on the headings inserted by a particular set of translators. I must admit, I've never seen anyone do that before. It's not an approach likely to be taken seriously.
    Nope, I am not basing my argument on that alone and if you think so you have simply failed to understand my points.

What characterizes these people? They are calling the Lord their Lord. It simply makes no sense and it seems contrary to the Bible to claim these people don't believe. They are doing prophecies and insist it must be in the name of the Lord. They drive out demons and do so in the name of the Lord (or at least they think so). They even perform miracles and do so in the name of the Lord (or at least they think so). The most likely interpretation seems to be the one that these people believe they are actually doing the right thing. How else would you interpret their frustration of being refused? Why would they call the Lord the Lord and so on?
    If we read it from the perspective of NIV it makes a lot more sense. If you go for the approach that theyt know they are false the text really does not make much sense. If they know they are false why does the text say:

They are not only saying the word Lord they are saying it to the Lord. Take note of the exact wording: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven[...]"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
      Debating MM often ends with him posting pictures or - as in this case - videos. If this is what he can come up with I think it is fair to say he did not have anything of importance or subsance to confront my points.
      You're employing child's logic that you can "win" a debate by stubbornly refusing to give up a point that has been refuted until your opponent decides to stop wasting his time and just walks away.

This is me walking away.

"Bye..."
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Personal attacks again. Let me remind you they don't cover up substance.

It certainly has implications for Christians. It has the implication that you cannot be saved by your actions alone. That is not setting the bar low but high.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          You're employing child's logic that you can "win" a debate by stubbornly refusing to give up a point that has been refuted until your opponent decides to stop wasting his time and just walks away.

This is me walking away.

"Bye..."
          I note the ad hominem fallacy and the straw man. And I note a lot of repeatedly unanswered questions and ignored points that you are trying to cover up with these fallacies.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            It has the implication that you cannot be saved by your actions alone.
            That's correct - it's by grace through faith, not of works! Eph 2:8-9
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              That's correct - it's by grace through faith, not of works! Eph 2:8-9
              Which is why it certainly is important. And "by grace" is not setting the bar low but high and so high it is actually out of reach.

Comment

Nope, I am not basing my argument on that alone and if you think so you have simply failed to understand my points.
                Note from my response to MM that I am not in agreement with his assertion of its non-application to Christians. I think you are doing a fair amount of talking past each other. I suspect you're working with different definitions for "Christian" - which makes that all but inevitable.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Which is why it certainly is important. And "by grace" is not setting the bar low but high and so high it is actually out of reach.
                  It is only by grace that the bar can be met at all.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    It is only by grace that the bar can be met at all.
                    That is how I read it too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      Personal attacks again. Let me remind you they don't cover up substance.

It certainly has implications for Christians. It has the implication that you cannot be saved by your actions alone. That is not setting the bar low but high.
                      I think a far better argument can be made that grace essentially removes the bar. As the hymn Amazing Grace puts it

Amazing Grace! how sweet the sound
                      That saved a wretch like me
                      I once was lost, but now am found
                      Was blind but now I see
                      Through many dangers, toils, and snares
                      I have already come
                      'Tis grace that brought me safe thus far
                      And grace will lead me home
                      When we've been there ten thousand years
                      Bright, shining as the sun
                      We've no less days to sing God's praise
                      Than when we first begun
                      Amazing Grace! how sweet the sound
                      That saved a wretch like me
                      I once was lost, but now am found
                      Was blind but now I see
                      Was blind but now I see

The freely offered gift of grace is what makes salvation possible. All we have to do is accept it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Grace is "unmerited favor" -- Salvation is given FREELY to who will accept - it REMOVES the bar, not repositions it.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Grace is "unmerited favor" -- Salvation is given FREELY to who will accept - it REMOVES the bar, not repositions it.
                          Or someone else makes sure you pass through since it is impossible for yourself to obtion the justice it requires.

Comment

Or someone else makes sure you pass through since it is impossible for yourself to obtion the justice it requires.
                            It doesn't require "justice" - Jesus presents us FAULTLESS to the Father, clothed in His own righteousness.

You REALLY don't get the concept of Grace. Or, are you just trolling?

Comment

It doesn't require "justice" - Jesus presents us FAULTLESS to the Father, clothed in His own righteousness.

You REALLY don't get the concept of Grace. Or, are you just trolling?
                              I am making the exact same point that you are making. It does not require justice on our side because Jesus died for our sins. The bar may not be there for us but that is only because someone else passed it on our behalf and we would be incapable of doing so ourselves. That is a very traditional Christian view on things. Not that I personally believe it is true but I see this as a point that is made in that verse.

I don't see how that is trolling, but perhaps we simply misunderstood each other.

Comment

Wish I woulda thought of that
                                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I think a far better argument can be made that grace essentially removes the bar.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment