Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Atheist Theist Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    CP. I always win....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have not been in a church during an election cycle for a long time. I have to wonder how many "liberal churches" you've been to that would substantiate this claim, and how you would substantiate "all the time." I'd be content to see evidence that this even happens semi-frequently. If it does, you will find me standing against it. The rule is not (or shouldn't be) different for different parties or churches.
      Hillary went actively campaigning at various Black churches and nobody complained about it and demanded that the churches give up their tax exemption.

-------------
      Hillary Clinton has a firm hold on African American voters, and her visits to black churches on Sunday explained why.
      There's her husband, Bill, or "our beloved past president" as one pastor referred to him.
      There's President Obama, who Clinton served and repeatedly expressed pride in to raucous applause from the congregations.
      ...But in a black church on Sunday, one pastor said all that was precisely why she was hoping Hillary Clinton would be the next president.
      http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...06-story.html#

Why black Baptist churches are Hillary Clinton's happy place
      Sunday mornings at Baptist churches fall right into Hillary Clinton's comfort zone.

"This is the day the Lord has made," Clinton said recently at Grace Baptist Church in Mount Vernon, N.Y., as sunshine streamed through the stained-glass windows and hit the packed pews. "Being here at this church with these beautiful people, knowing how grateful I am for this spring day. I feel blessed and grace is all around us."

Black Baptist churches may not seem like an obvious match for Clinton, a white Methodist from the Chicago suburbs. But the Democratic presidential candidate, who's been criticized for her tentative, even awkward political skills, often seems most at ease in houses of worship. It's where she's shared her faith for many years and earned a loyal following.
      https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...-s-happy-place

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Hillary went actively campaigning at various Black churches and nobody complained about it and demanded that the churches give up their tax exemption.

-------------
        Hillary Clinton has a firm hold on African American voters, and her visits to black churches on Sunday explained why.
        There's her husband, Bill, or "our beloved past president" as one pastor referred to him.
        There's President Obama, who Clinton served and repeatedly expressed pride in to raucous applause from the congregations.
        ...But in a black church on Sunday, one pastor said all that was precisely why she was hoping Hillary Clinton would be the next president.
        http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...06-story.html#

Why black Baptist churches are Hillary Clinton's happy place
        Sunday mornings at Baptist churches fall right into Hillary Clinton's comfort zone.

"This is the day the Lord has made," Clinton said recently at Grace Baptist Church in Mount Vernon, N.Y., as sunshine streamed through the stained-glass windows and hit the packed pews. "Being here at this church with these beautiful people, knowing how grateful I am for this spring day. I feel blessed and grace is all around us."

Black Baptist churches may not seem like an obvious match for Clinton, a white Methodist from the Chicago suburbs. But the Democratic presidential candidate, who's been criticized for her tentative, even awkward political skills, often seems most at ease in houses of worship. It's where she's shared her faith for many years and earned a loyal following.
        https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...-s-happy-place
        So she went to black churches. I'm not seeing an issue. If she gave a political speech in one, or the pastors endorse them (as seems to be indicated by your first citation), then they have indeed "crossed the grey line," as far as I am concerned, and should lose their tax exempt status.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

So she went to black churches. I'm not seeing an issue. If she gave a political speech in one, or the pastors endorse them (as seems to be indicated by your first citation), then they have indeed "crossed the grey line," as far as I am concerned, and should lose their tax exempt status.
          gah! She was campaigning in the churches! And didn't you just see in the quote "But in a black church on Sunday, one pastor said all that was precisely why she was hoping Hillary Clinton would be the next president."

and my point was that the MSM just reported it as normal business and nobody said a thing about it being wrong on Hillary or the church's fault.

To be honest, Trump did the same thing, with his public baptism and other such thing, at which the MSM did make a fuss.
          Last edited by Sparko; 08-21-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

This is so common in the Houston area it's not even funny.

Black Pastors Are Breaking the Law to Get Hillary Clinton Elected
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Look at this one:

Hillary Clinton Speaks At Philly Churchhttps://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...philly-church/

Comment

gah! She was campaigning in the churches! And didn't you just see in the quote "But in a black church on Sunday, one pastor said all that was precisely why she was hoping Hillary Clinton would be the next president."
                And I said, if she is campaigning at these churches, or is being endorsed by them, they should lose their status. If she is simply attending church...well, we're on that grey line. If you're comfortable withholding tax-exempt status for any church attended by a campaigning politician (presumably other than their home church), as long as its for ALL churches that do this for ANY politician, have at it. Of course, where exactly does a politician go to church when they are on the road, then?

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                and my point was that the MSM just reported it as normal business and nobody said a thing about it being wrong on Hillary or the church's fault.

To be honest, Trump did the same thing, with his public baptism and other such thing, at which the MSM did make a fuss.
                Citations please...
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  This is so common in the Houston area it's not even funny.

Black Pastors Are Breaking the Law to Get Hillary Clinton Elected
                  Once again - for the reading impaired - if they are promoting a candidate, or permit a candidate to campaign during church functions, they should lose their status.

Comment

• And don't forget Reverend Hillary's preaching in the black church in her "black" voice...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      And don't forget Reverend Hillary's preaching in the black church in her "black" voice...

What was that one incident when Trump was at a black church getting some award or something and someone in the press was caught on tape saying they would not cover it?

Comment

What was that one incident when Trump was at a black church getting some award or something and someone in the press was caught on tape saying they would not cover it?
                        All you need do is ask
                        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        The left will try to conceal it just like they did when Trump was being applauded at a black church -- something that just couldn't be allowed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          All you need do is ask
                          Thanks.

There you go Carp. You wanted a source for the MSM treating Trump differently when he went to black churches.

Comment

Thanks.

There you go Carp. You wanted a source for the MSM treating Trump differently when he went to black churches.
                            Can you point out exactly where I made that request?

Comment

Can you point out exactly where I made that request?
                              Post 187?
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Post 187?
                                I have to admit, I see no connection between the discussion based on that post, and the article provided. I was looking for articles about places where Trump was called out for campaigning at churches, and instead what was provided was a place where the media refused to cover his campaigning at churches.

Comment