Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Which Would You Personally Prefer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tassman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    If you were told you had cancer and you didn't even believe that you did, would that mean that you didn't have it? Or that you were just too stupid to believe the doctor? He could show you a white spot on an X-Ray and you could just say, "So what? That doesn't prove anything!"

Denial doesn't mean you won't die of cancer (or of your sins)
    So dishonest!

I said If I was told I had cancer and there was no substantive reason to think I had cancer, why would I believe I had it or was in need of cure? By the same token, IF there is no substantive reason to believe I am sinful and in need of saving, why would I believe such nonsense. The doctrine of the 'fall of man' is not analogous to white spots on x-rays.

Thanks.
    Anytime!
    Last edited by Tassman; 03-31-2018, 12:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Hmm . . .

So it is really not Christianity per se. But the idea that the universe was created by a Creator you think is non sense.

What is your deductive argument for the universe which renders the concept of a created universe non sense?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Poor analogy! If I was told I had cancer and there was no substantive reason to think I had cancer, why would I believe I had it or was in need of cure? Just as there is no substantive reason to believe I am sinful and in need of saving. I'm basically a nice guy actually.
    If you were told you had cancer and you didn't even believe that you did, would that mean that you didn't have it? Or that you were just too stupid to believe the doctor? He could show you a white spot on an X-Ray and you could just say, "So what? That doesn't prove anything!"

Denial doesn't mean you won't die of cancer (or of your sins)

What a thoughtful, well argued response. I expect no less from the Trump of T'Web.
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Sparko, it still comes down to the same thing no matter how you try to spin it. If the cure, i.e. being saved, is simply to believe in the existence of Jesus as god, then not believing is the reason you are being punished. Its no different than for those who believe, you are not saved because you no longer sin, you are saved because you believe. Right? You can't have it both ways amigo. If you're saved because you believe, then you are doomed because you don't believe. Besides the obvious logic of that, the idea that a god would send better behaved souls to hell than those he saves, simply because they honestly came to the wrong conclusion concerning the existence of Jesus as god is, well, a bit ridiculous, and itself not believable.

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    He doesn't. You are being punished for your sins. Your lack of belief is what stops you from being saved.

If you had cancer and I told you there was a cure, and you didn't believe me, would I be the reason you died, or would the cancer be the reason?
    Poor analogy! If I was told I had cancer and there was no substantive reason to think I had cancer, why would I believe I had it or was in need of cure? Just as there is no substantive reason to believe I am sinful and in need of saving. I'm basically a nice guy actually.

Getting to me?

No, Tassy, you are not getting to me. That's so cute. You think your trolling is actually getting to anyone.

Like I said, we all think you are a moron and don't take you seriously. You and JimL. Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber.
    What a thoughtful, well argued response. I expect no less from the Trump of T'Web.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    He doesn't. You are being punished for your sins. Your lack of belief is what stops you from being saved.

If you had cancer and I told you there was a cure, and you didn't believe me, would I be the reason you died, or would the cancer be the reason?
    Sparko, it still comes down to the same thing no matter how you try to spin it. If the cure, i.e. being saved, is simply to believe in the existence of Jesus as god, then not believing is the reason you are being punished. Its no different than for those who believe, you are not saved because you no longer sin, you are saved because you believe. Right? You can't have it both ways amigo. If you're saved because you believe, then you are doomed because you don't believe. Besides the obvious logic of that, the idea that a god would send better behaved souls to hell than those he saves, simply because they honestly came to the wrong conclusion concerning the existence of Jesus as god is, well, a bit ridiculous, and itself not believable.
    Last edited by JimL; 03-29-2018, 08:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Well, you sort of answered, but not really. The main point was why would god punish those who honestly come to the wrong conclusion regarding their belief, or rather disbelief, in the existence of god?

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    I JUST told you! You quoted my answer in your post! Are you blind or posting high again?
    Well, you sort of answered, but not really. The main point was why would god punish those who honestly come to the wrong conclusion regarding their belief, or rather disbelief, in the existence of god?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Okay, now why do you think that our belief in the existence of god, matters to god at all, or that such a belief in and of itself is worthy of the reward of eternal life? Belief in a god is strctly an intellectual matter, we weigh the evidence and some of us come to the right, and some of us come to the wrong conclusion. Why would that matter to god, why would he punish or reward people due to their honest conclusions?
    I JUST told you! You quoted my answer in your post! Are you blind or posting high again?

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    Let me put it to you this way. If Hitler had decided to accept Jesus 1 second before he died, he would be in heaven right now.

and it is not that our belief saves us. Our belief allows us to accept God and Jesus' sacrifice for our sins. Without belief you can't accept the gift of salvation and God's mercy that is extended to you. And if you do accept and believe, then you will follow God and his commandments out of love as best as you can. You would not go around murdering millions of Jews and trying to take over the world. You might still sin but you would try not to. Not that being sinless is a condition of your salvation, it is not. You don't earn your way into heaven.
    Okay, now why do you think that our belief in the existence of god, matters to god at all, or that such a belief in and of itself is worthy of the reward of eternal life? Belief in a god is strctly an intellectual matter, we weigh the evidence and some of us come to the right, and some of us come to the wrong conclusion. Why would that matter to god, why would he punish or reward people due to their honest conclusions?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Okay, well for someone who likes to think he speaks for everyone, apparently not many christians want to back you up on this. So let me ask you this, if Hitler was a christian, if he believed in Jesus all his life, would he still be saved regardless of anything else he did in life? Now I can guess what you will answer, if Hitler loved and believed in Jesus, he wouldn't sin in the first place, but we know that's not true since we are all sinners, and we all sin against those that we love at times as well. So, are you still going to argue that belief is all that is required to be saved. And a second question. Why do you think that our belief in the existence of god, matters to god at all, or that such belief is worthy of the reward of eternal life?
    Let me put it to you this way. If Hitler had decided to accept Jesus 1 second before he died, he would be in heaven right now.

and it is not that our belief saves us. Our belief allows us to accept God and Jesus' sacrifice for our sins. Without belief you can't accept the gift of salvation and God's mercy that is extended to you. And if you do accept and believe, then you will follow God and his commandments out of love as best as you can. You would not go around murdering millions of Jews and trying to take over the world. You might still sin but you would try not to. Not that being sinless is a condition of your salvation, it is not. You don't earn your way into heaven.
    Last edited by Sparko; 03-29-2018, 11:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    You are modifying your claims now Jim.

We are saved just by believing in Jesus and his sacrifice for us, despite our NOT being good. Being "good" is merely what we do in gratitude and because Jesus saved us. Not to be saved. You could be the most evil person in the world, and believe and accept Jesus one second before you died and never have done one good thing in your life and still be saved. That is what we believe. We worship God because we love him. I told Tassman that too. Maybe if you actually read what people wrote instead of just posting in response to imaginary ideas of what you think they believe, you would actually have a decent conversation with them. Instead you seem to be posting while high on pot or something.
    Okay, well for someone who likes to think he speaks for everyone, apparently not many christians want to back you up on this. So let me ask you this, if Hitler was a christian, if he believed in Jesus all his life, would he still be saved regardless of anything else he did in life? Now I can guess what you will answer, if Hitler loved and believed in Jesus, he wouldn't sin in the first place, but we know that's not true since we are all sinners, and we all sin against those that we love at times as well. So, are you still going to argue that belief is all that is required to be saved. And a second question. Why do you think that our belief in the existence of god, matters to god at all, or that such belief is worthy of the reward of eternal life?
    Last edited by JimL; 03-29-2018, 11:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    You think Christianity makes nonsensical claims. Well, if I thought that . . . . There are those who I think have nonsensical beliefs, such as God making the Sun, Moon and making the stars on a fourth day. [The Hebrew text says no* such thing.] Our local Milky Way galaxy is some tens of thousands light years across. And then the idea that the Creation took place only some 6,000 years ago. I don't think so.
    That is just a YEC view the Hebrew Bible, which I found untenable. The pomp and in order to be saved ritual of the Catholic and so-called Orthodox churches.

What do you think is nonsensical and why?

[* the fourth day says lights, not the objects from which their light comes.]
    You may choose to believe that the creation didn't take place in 6 days because modernity knows better, but there is no reason to believe that the authors of the bible didn't mean exactly what they wrote.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Are you denying that Christian believe in a triune god, and believe in spirits and demons. I think you believe in these things as I said, so what's to be "corrected"?

Getting to you, huh!

This is a fairly obvious 'defence mechanism'.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/defense-mechanism
    Getting to me?

No, Tassy, you are not getting to me. That's so cute. You think your trolling is actually getting to anyone.

Like I said, we all think you are a moron and don't take you seriously. You and JimL. Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber.

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    You think Christianity makes nonsensical claims. Well, if I thought that . . . . There are those who I think have nonsensical beliefs, such as God making the Sun, Moon and making the stars on a fourth day. [The Hebrew text says no* such thing.] Our local Milky Way galaxy is some tens of thousands light years across. And then the idea that the Creation took place only some 6,000 years ago. I don't think so.
    That is just a YEC view the Hebrew Bible, which I found untenable. The pomp and in order to be saved ritual of the Catholic and so-called Orthodox churches.

What do you think is nonsensical and why?

[* the fourth day says lights, not the objects from which their light comes.]

Leave a comment: