Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Class conflict, bandits, and prophets in first century Palestine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    The "known historical situation" you say?
    Go forth and inform yourself.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You are the wrong person to be saying that. Your assessment of the times is all too often short of any attested contemporary documentation.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

[sarcasm] I would have thought such a polymath as yourself would be fully conversant with his works.
        Are you saying that you have them memorized? That you know where to instantly find every passage he wrote?

Or is this just your ham-fisted way to avoid citing the source when asked. Perhaps you just threw Josephus' name out there hoping you wouldn't be called on it.

You are welcome present factual evidence to counter what you consider to be "minor facts and insignificant detail".
        You already did. When you provided your little list. Or were you too zoned out on your meds again to realize that was what I was referring to? I mean, you somehow missed that I was directly responding to and describing that list.

It appears that historical events are no longer my "opinion" but have now transmogrified into my "assertions".
        Assertions because for some reason you have continued to cravenly refused to offer a single piece of corroboration. You simply make statements that you cannot be bothered to support.

Kind of like how you constantly make pronouncements and offer opinions on a book that you've spent decades criticizing but somehow never bothered to find the time to read.

It really is quite simple rogue06. You are more than welcome to address the posts I have made and present factual evidence to refute my comments, or provide valid grounds for any disagreement.
        I AM addressing them when I ask you for supporting evidence for your statements.

You continue to respond to those requests by again squawking that I'm free to address them. IOW, you cannot verify your claims because you have steadfastly refused to do so at every opportunity.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You are more than welcome to actually address what I have written and provide factual evidence to rebut my comments or provide valid grounds for any disagreements you may have.
          This is probably a novel approach for you, but maybe you should first provide corroboration for all of your unsupported statements before demanding comments based upon "valid grounds for disagreements." I mean, you're demanding what you yourself utterly refuse to provide in spite of being asked several times.

Until you can support your numerous claims, everyone is justified in replying in kind. Simply make a claim.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

TRANSLATION: Rats! They're seeing through my smoke and mirrors and realize I'm just spouting off. Presenting numerous opinions offered up as facts. Guess I'll tell them to do what I need to be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

TRANSLATION: Rats! They're seeing through my smoke and mirrors and realize I'm just spouting off. Presenting numerous opinions offered up as facts. Guess I'll tell them to do what I need to be doing.
              That.

or

"Rats! I am being held to the same standards that I have attempted to impose on others."
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Are you saying that you have them memorized? That you know where to instantly find every passage he wrote?

Or is this just your ham-fisted way to avoid citing the source when asked. Perhaps you just threw Josephus' name out there hoping you wouldn't be called on it.

You already did. When you provided your little list. Or were you too zoned out on your meds again to realize that was what I was referring to? I mean, you somehow missed that I was directly responding to and describing that list.

Assertions because for some reason you have continued to cravenly refused to offer a single piece of corroboration. You simply make statements that you cannot be bothered to support.

Kind of like how you constantly make pronouncements and offer opinions on a book that you've spent decades criticizing but somehow never bothered to find the time to read.

I AM addressing them when I ask you for supporting evidence for your statements.

You continue to respond to those requests by again squawking that I'm free to address them. IOW, you cannot verify your claims because you have steadfastly refused to do so at every opportunity.

This is probably a novel approach for you, but maybe you should first provide corroboration for all of your unsupported statements before demanding comments based upon "valid grounds for disagreements." I mean, you're demanding what you yourself utterly refuse to provide in spite of being asked several times.

Until you can support your numerous claims, everyone is justified in replying in kind. Simply make a claim.

This is really too delicious!

You have quite evidently illustrated that you know next to nothing about Rome's involvement with this region, nor it would appear its ongoing conflict with Parthia, nor indeed the socio-economic conditions prevailing among the lower orders in Galilee from the mid late first century BCE through to the early decades of the first century CE.

I have to ask, do you also demand corroboration when someone refers to the battle of Gettysburg, or the attack on Pearl Harbour, or the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo? These likewise are attested historical events.

However, your ignorance caused me much mirth this Wednesday evening.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

You are the wrong person to be saying that. Your assessment of the times is all too often short of any attested contemporary documentation.
                  Then you are free to provide factual evidence to demonstrate that the events I cited were nothing more than, as our dear friend rogue06 has referred to them, my "opinions" or my "assertions".

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

This is really too delicious!

You have quite evidently illustrated that you know next to nothing about Rome's involvement with this region, nor it would appear its ongoing conflict with Parthia, nor indeed the socio-economic conditions prevailing among the lower orders in Galilee from the mid late first century BCE through to the early decades of the first century CE.

I have to ask, do you also demand corroboration when someone refers to the battle of Gettysburg, or the attack on Pearl Harbour, or the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo? These likewise are attested historical events.

However, your ignorance caused me much mirth this Wednesday evening.
                    Whatever excuse will work for you in order to continue ignoring any and all requests for corroboration for all of your unsupported, unsourced declarations.

It isn't the scraps of history that you insert into your posts that is the problem. It is all of the assertions that you make, so let's not pretend otherwise.

Comment

It isn't the scraps of history that you insert into your posts that is the problem.
                      Really? So why did you write this after I cited a list to you of attested historical events?

You already did. When you provided your little list

It is all of the assertions that you make, so let's not pretend otherwise.
                      You are free to cite my "assertions" or are they my "opinion"? You have changed your mind on that, given that you originally described my entire posts including those "scraps of history" about which you self evidently knew nothing, as :

So... nothing but your opinion, right?

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Whatever excuse will work for you in order to continue ignoring any and all requests for corroboration for all of your unsupported, unsourced declarations.

It isn't the scraps of history that you insert into your posts that is the problem. It is all of the assertions that you make, so let's not pretend otherwise.
                        Now do tell us all what you consider I have actually written as you have changed your mind three times.

Is it my "opinion" ? - a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

My "assertions"? - a declaration that something is the case

My "declarations"? - something that is announced, avowed, or proclaimed.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment