Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Study Disproves The Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

So, to be clear, are you saying that they're just in cahoots with one another or that there really are YEC Intelligent Design types?
    A bit of both. It really depends on the person.
    Last edited by rogue06; 08-02-2017, 02:14 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      A bit of both. It really depends on the person.
      Ok. I figured YECs wouldn't care much for ID either.

Comment

Moved this since you already read and replied to my earlier post

Hmm. For some reason I assumed that almost all IDers were old earth creationists. By the way, the word "creationist" for "young earth creationist" always throws me. All Christians, and most theists are creationists in some regard. We all believe that the natural world was created at some point, we simply differ on when that creative action ceased.
        True. It seems that YECs have kind of hijacked the term creationists. For instance, Henry Morris is regarded as the "father of the modern creationist movement" when in fact it should be the "father of the modern YEC movement."

And even YECs have changed their minds rather dramatically a few decades ago about the creative process. It used to be that they held that each species was divinely and separately created but they have abandoned this and now fully embrace speciation (when a lineage divides into two or more separate and genetically distinct groups). In fact with some, like the folks at AnswersinGenesis, it is a crucial part of their model used to explain how so many different types of organisms can exist from what was on board Noah's Ark 4000 years ago. They actually teach a form of hyper-super-megaevolution with new species arising every other generation after the animals left the Ark.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ok. I figured YECs wouldn't care much for ID either.
          Some aren't all that thrilled with it and have expressed their distaste, but many if not most seem willing to embrace it.

Comment

Some aren't all that thrilled with it and have expressed their distaste, but many if not most seem willing to embrace it.
            I'm certain that those on the Board of Education in Dover v. Board of Education were YECs (because they went to my dad's church, and I'm a proud Dover Eagle).
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I'm certain that those on the Board of Education in Dover v. Board of Education were YECs (because they went to my dad's church, and I'm a proud Dover Eagle).
              Well I'll be. So pigs do fly.

Comment

After the Dover trial they were voted out of Board of Education.

Comment

Hmm. For some reason I assumed that almost all IDers were old earth creationists.
                  Most, perhaps, but nowhere near almost all of them.

You can check this by looking at, say, the attendees or presenters at ID conferences such as the Symposium at Cornell on Biological Information, and counting the YECs.
                  By the way, the word "creationist" for "young earth creationist" always throws me. All Christians, and most theists are creationists in some regard. We all believe that the natural world was created at some point, we simply differ on when that creative action ceased.
                  Also on what the creation consisted of, such as whether birds/fish/mammals were created, or simpler life-forms were created which then evolved into birds/fish/mammals.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Thanks - info much appreciated.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean
                      Evolutionists come to Bible's defense:

https://evolutionnews.org/2017/07/fo...-bible-around/
                      David Klinghoffer is an Intelligent Design advocate at the Discovery Institute
                      The website Evolution News is Discovery Institute website. It does not support the science of evolution. Actually the Discovery Institute is by far dominated by believers of the YEC/OEC world view with a few very questionable scientists with a religious agenda.

Klimghoffer is an Orthodox Jew who is employed by the Discovery Institute. He is opposed to evolution, and he is not a scientist in any field related to evolution. He only has a bachelors degree from Brown University.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-03-2017, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        So what? All those articles about the bible being wrong were wrong themselves.
                        All these articles are not academic or scholarly articles from journals. They are editorialized third source articles for the general public, and yes questionable articles with an agenda. As previously described it is better to base this discussion on academic sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          Most, perhaps, but nowhere near almost all of them.

You can check this by looking at, say, the attendees or presenters at ID conferences such as the Symposium at Cornell on Biological Information, and counting the YECs.
                          huh. had no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            After the Dover trial they were voted out of Board of Education.
                            Um, I knew that. I personally know the board members, Shunya.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I thought that Intelligent Design types distinguished between natural/Darwinian evolution and a sort of guided evolution. Is that not a correct understanding of their view?
                              The key distinction is between natural selection and intelligently guided selection. They maintain that a naturalistic worldview is insufficient to explain certain observed biological phenomena.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                                The key distinction is between natural selection and intelligently guided selection. They maintain that a naturalistic worldview is insufficient to explain certain observed biological phenomena.
                                Right, that's exactly what I thought it was. So they do consider themselves evolutionists to some degree then, just not natural or Darwinian evolutionists.

Comment