Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who Buried Jesus - Derail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    How very Trumpian. It's always the personal mockery with you lot isn't it.
    Well, no. Using personal mockery to allege personal mockery is a nice touch, though.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      You opinion is duly noted. It's not as if you have the wherewithal to support it; you're doing no more than regurgitating RhinestoneCowboy.
      Well, no. Using personal mockery to allege personal mockery is a nice touch, though.
      Yes, I thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy
        Well, it's real easy to assert someone's "wrong" without actually demonstrating it. Anyway, back on topic then. Jesus probably wasn't buried as depicted in the Gospels.

You have to believe Joseph (a non-relative) goes out of his way to bother with the corpse of a man which he had just condemned to death, (Mark 14:64 says they "all" condemned him to death and Mark 15:1 says the "whole" Sanhedrin) has no problem going to visit a gentile (Pilate) on Passover no less (even though John 18:28 says Jews thought this would make them "unclean"), ask for Jesus' corpse (thereby becoming "unclean" - Numbers 19:11-16 and unable to take part in the rest of Passover week), goes and "buys linen" which was illegal as it was forbidden to work or buy/sell things on Passover, then give the cursed criminal messianic pretender Jesus a decent burial in his own family tomb even though the Sanhedrin had rules forbidding burial of criminals in family tombs?

Yeah, I'm not buying this. Moreover, since refusing burial was part of the crucifixion punishment it's highly unlikely that he would have been handed over to the Jews in the first place. The "King of the Jews" was most likely left up to rot for a few days then thrown in a common grave.
        You seem to think that ... means all, without the possibility of exceptions. (I'm fairly sure that I've mentioned this before) - Unfortunately, English doesn't have a word that corresponds precisely with the pas, pasa, pan group "all", nor with holos, "entire": none of which exclude possible exceptions. That fact is demonstrated directly in Luke's gospel:
        Luke says all the council had taken Christ before Pilate and accused him (Luke 23:1) and the word used there is a strengthened form of pas (apas), but even that does not exclude possible exceptions: in Luke 23:51, he declares explicitly that Joseph had not given his assent.

50 Now there was a man named Joseph, from the Jewish town of Arimathea. He was a member of the council, a good and righteous man, 51 who had not consented to their decision and action
        Last edited by tabibito; 07-02-2017, 07:19 AM.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The "accepted dating" is hardly universally accepted. Even if taken as true, however, your assumptions are far from warranted.
          Yes, I thought so.
          You mean you weren't attempting to denigrate by calling 'you lot' Trumpian?
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The "accepted dating" is hardly universally accepted. Even if taken as true, however, your assumptions are far from warranted.
            The late dating of the gospels is the consensus view of scholars and explains the evolution from the simple Pauline account of the postmortem Jesus (and that of the others listed in 1 Cor 15) to the elaborate fleshly experiences in the decades later gospels.

Comment

The late dating of the gospels is the consensus view of scholars and explains the evolution from the simple Pauline account of the postmortem Jesus (and that of the others listed in 1 Cor 15) to the elaborate fleshly experiences in the decades later gospels.
              How many of those scholars are Christians? And for clarification, what would you explain as to how one becomes a Christian?
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

This is a fundamental misreading of Paul that seems to be extremely common.

Paul is not saying that he received every piece of information through a revelation. He says that he received the gospel he preaches from a revelation. Beyond that, Paul is reworking a Jewish statement that a tradition has been received from Sinai.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  How many of those scholars are Christians? And for clarification, what would you explain as to how one becomes a Christian?
                  What are we defining as "late dates?"

Mark: 65-75
                  Matthew: 75-85
                  Luke: 75-95
                  John: 90-110

These are not "late dates," these are actually intermediate dates. Late dates place Mark in the 80s, Matthew in the 90s, Luke in the mid-90s/early second century, and John as late as 150.

Of those who hold to standard critical dates, probably 95% are Christian, but the field of NT is predominantly comprised of Christians.

Comment

Well, no. One must assume a whole host of other things in order to construct your favored hypothesis, most of which flatly ignore the context of the times.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, no. One must assume a whole host of other things in order to construct your favored hypothesis, most of which flatly ignore the context of the times.
                      How does the "context of the times" allow for maintaining historicity with all the discrepancies and inconsistencies in the gospel accounts of Jesus' resurrection? For instance, why do none of the reports even match Paul's appearance chronology in 1 Cor 15:5-8?

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        You seem to think that ... means all, without the possibility of exceptions. (I'm fairly sure that I've mentioned this before) - Unfortunately, English doesn't have a word that corresponds precisely with the pas, pasa, pan group "all", nor with holos, "entire": none of which exclude possible exceptions. That fact is demonstrated directly in Luke's gospel:
                        Luke says all the council had taken Christ before Pilate and accused him (Luke 23:1) and the word used there is a strengthened form of pas (apas), but even that does not exclude possible exceptions: in Luke 23:51, he declares explicitly that Joseph had not given his assent.

50 Now there was a man named Joseph, from the Jewish town of Arimathea. He was a member of the council, a good and righteous man, 51 who had not consented to their decision and action
                        Arguing that "all" and "whole" don't really mean what they say is ad hoc. Both Matthew and Luke realized Mark's goof. That is why Matthew omits that Joseph was a member of the council and Luke adds the disclaimer that he had nothing to do with it. Joseph's role changes over time depending on what Gospel you read and the burial itself is depicted in more noble detail over time. This points in the direction that there weren't any solid facts regarding Joseph and the burial. The authors are trying to give Jesus a more honorable burial than he most likely would have received being a Jewish criminal that was executed by Roman crucifixion.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
                          How does the "context of the times" allow for maintaining historicity with all the discrepancies and inconsistencies in the gospel accounts of Jesus' resurrection? For instance, why do none of the reports even match Paul's appearance chronology in 1 Cor 15:5-8?
                          I'm pretty sure we've been over this before. Your allegations are duly noted - you're not worth my time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                            What are we defining as "late dates?"

Mark: 65-75
                            Matthew: 75-85
                            Luke: 75-95
                            John: 90-110

These are not "late dates," these are actually intermediate dates. Late dates place Mark in the 80s, Matthew in the 90s, Luke in the mid-90s/early second century, and John as late as 150.
                            Of those who hold to standard critical dates, probably 95% are Christian, but the field of NT is predominantly comprised of Christians.
                            http://www.bc.edu/schools/stm/crossr...hegospels.html

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                              What does careful scholarship have to do with one's personal beliefs? Are you suggesting that Christians scholars should fudge their research so as to conform better to their personal religious presuppositions. Really!

Comment

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
                                Arguing that "all" and "whole" don't really mean what they say is ad hoc.
                                Arguing with the support of a provided example demonstrating the facts is always considered "ad hoc" in some circles.
                                Both Matthew and Luke realized Mark's goof. That is why Matthew omits that Joseph was a member of the council and Luke adds the disclaimer that he had nothing to do with it.
                                No - it is just that the words don't exclude possible exceptions.
                                3 When Herod the king had heard [these things], he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.

4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey. 5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, 6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

Joseph's role changes over time depending on what Gospel you read and the burial itself is depicted in more noble detail over time. This points in the direction that there weren't any solid facts regarding Joseph and the burial. The authors are trying to give Jesus a more honorable burial than he most likely would have received being a Jewish criminal that was executed by Roman crucifixion.
                                When you have something that at least vaguely resembles fact in support of your until now bare assertion, I'll give your claim some consideration.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment