Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The flaws of NT-based morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    It all rests with the interpretation. The NT has been selectively interpreted to reflect the values of society throughout its history...from slavery to racial discrimination, the submission of women and to discrimination against LGBT folk. But, sooner or later, the Church is dragged kicking and screaming into the acceptance of the changing social mores.
    Really Tass?

Although many Enlightenment philosophers opposed slavery, it was Christian activists, attracted by strong religious elements, who initiated and organized an abolitionist movement. Throughout Europe and the United States, Christians, usually from 'un-institutional' Christian faith movements, not directly connected with traditional state churches, or "non-conformist" believers within established churches, were to be found at the forefront of the abolitionist movements.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Abolitionism
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
      The NT has been selectively interpreted to reflect the values of society throughout its history...
      I think you'll find that Christians are generally opposed to the practice of selective interpretation.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        Colonising Christians enthusiastically endorsed slavery for over two hundred years before the Abolitionist movement began. And justified it biblically! The Southern Baptist Convention, the largest Protestant denomination in the US, was formed in order to promote slavery and only renounced it officially a couple of decades ago.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I think you'll find that Christians are generally opposed to the practice of selective interpretation.
        That's not been its history.
        Last edited by Tassman; 08-09-2017, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Colonising Christians enthusiastically endorsed slavery for over two hundred years before the Abolitionist movement began. And justified it biblically! The Southern Baptist Convention, the largest Protestant denomination in the US, was formed in order to promote slavery and only renounced it officially a couple of decades ago.
          That does not change the fact that it was Christians in the US and England who were in the forefront of the Abolition movement - not your Enlightenment thinkers - they did zip!

Although many Enlightenment philosophers opposed slavery, it was Christian activists, attracted by strong religious elements, who initiated and organized an abolitionist movement. Throughout Europe and the United States
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

That does not change the fact that it was Christians in the US and England who were in the forefront of the Abolition movement - not your Enlightenment thinkers - they did zip!

Although many Enlightenment philosophers opposed slavery, it was Christian activists, attracted by strong religious elements, who initiated and organized an abolitionist movement. Throughout Europe and the United States
            Not to mention little details like "enthusiastically endorsed" being a gross mischaracterization and that he's painting with an extraordinarily broad brush to smear all Christians with it.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
              That's not been its history.
              I don't know of any Christian who would argue that selective interpretation is a correct and valid approach to understanding the Bible. In fact, I've seen the practice used more by skeptics than anyone else. It's the only way they can make any of their ridiculous arguments work. The Skeptic's Annotated Bible is a textbook example.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I don't know of any Christian who would argue that selective interpretation is a correct and valid approach to understanding the Bible. .

Comment

That does not change the fact that it was Christians in the US and England who were in the forefront of the Abolition movement -
                  not your Enlightenment thinkers - they did zip!
                  James Oglethorpe was one of many who articulated the Enlightenment case against slavery, He banned it in the Province of Georgia on humanitarian grounds.

Comment

• And who decides on the "true interpretation" of scientific data, or historical data, or literary data, or any other type of data?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
                      And who decides on the "true interpretation" of scientific data, or historical data, or literary data, or any other type of data?

Comment

• You assume that the majority of Christians back then were OK with slavery.

James Oglethorpe was one of many who articulated the Enlightenment case against slavery, He banned it in the Province of Georgia on humanitarian grounds.
                        Oh please, you find one exception! The fact is it was Christians who largely populated the abolition movement and brought slavery down. Many of the major movers were from my County, even from my Church (which is 275 years old). As a matter of fact my Church ordained the first black pastor (Lemuel Haynes) in the United States (1780s). https://www.crossway.org/articles/th...in-us-history/

Comment

• From the Charter for Georgia:
                          CHRISTIANITY will be extended by the execution of this design; since, the good discipline established by the Society, will reform the manners of those miserable objects, who shall be by them subsisted; and the example of a whole Colony, who shall behave in a just, moral, and religious manner, will contribute greatly towards the conversion of the Indians, and taking off the prejudices received from the profligate lives of such who have scarce any thing of Christianity but the name.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            From the Charter for Georgia:
                            Yes, according to the Charter it is clear that he was in fact a Christian:

http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/bdo...cs/29-ogl.html

http://www.christianity.com/church/c...-11630215.html

Comment

Oh please, you find one exception!
                              I don't get why Tassman chose Oglethorpe as his exception. Oglethorpe opposed slavery on Christian grounds as much as anything,

General Oglethorpe to Granville Sharp 1776

Sir,
                              With great pleasure I received the favour of yours of 27th September, and since, several excellent tracts of your composing, which I have read with much satisfaction, as they all point to the great end of life, - the honour of God and the love of our neighbour. You have, with great judgment, showed the threats of the Prophets against the slave-owners and slave-sellers. As I have not the happiness of being known to you, it is necessary to tell you I am the person you will find mentioned in Harris's Collections (the last edition is two fol.), and in Smollet's, in Rolt, and all the histories of that time.

My friends and I settled the colony of Georgia, and by charter were established trustees, to make laws, &c. We determined not to suffer slavery there; but the slave-merchants, and their adherents, occasioned us not only much trouble, but at last got the then government to favour them. We would not suffer slavery (which is against the Gospel as well as the fundamental law of England) to be authorised under our authority : we refused, as trustees, to make a law permitting such a horrid crime. The Government, finding the trustees resolved firmly not to concur with what they thought unjust, took away the charter by which no law could be passed without our consent.

Oglethorpe then discusses the origin of contemporary slavery mentioning that it likely originated under pagan Rome, and that it would likely have been stamped out by Christian emperors had idolatry not permeated Roman culture,

The Christian Emperors would have qualified the laws of slavery; but the Senate of Rome, in whom the old leaven of idolatry still prevailed, stopped such good designs. St. Austin, in 'De Civitate Dei,' mentions that idolatry was sunk into the marrow of the Romans; - That the destruction of Rome by the Goths seemed to be a necessary dispensation of Providence to root out idolatry. The Goths, and all the Northern nations, when converted to Christianity, abolished slavery.

Ironically, speaking of actual Enlightenment thinkers of the day like David Hume (who supported slavery) Oglethorpe mocks his racism,

You mention an argument urged by Hume, that the Africans were incapable of liberty, and that no man capable of government was ever produced by Africa. What a historian! He must never have heard of Shishak, the great Sesostris, of Hannibal, nor of Tir-haka king of Ethiopia, whose very name frightened the mighty Assyrian monarch (2 Kings xix. 9.) Is it possible he never should have seen Herodotus, where the mighty works of the pyramids, remaining to this day, are mentioned; and, in the ΘΑΛΕΙΑ, the answer of the king of Ethiopia to Cambyses? In Leo, the African's geographical description of Africa, he would have found that Africa had produced races of heroes.

The biographies I've read on Oglethorpe suggest that he was deeply religious, and that it was his faith along with his personal acquaintance with a slave that informed his stance on the subject.
                              Last edited by Adrift; 08-10-2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• First, don't try to move your goal posts by introducing other religions! Your conversation was specific to CHRISTIANS; you claimed that CHRISTIAN groups have changed their view of slavery, and your previous comment in this immediate subthread was in response to MountainMan's claim that CHRISTIANS reject "selective interpretation" of the Bible.

Second, do you realize that Christianity also has experts in relevant fields (biblical languages, biblical history, theology) who dedicate their lives and careers to the correct interpretation of the biblical text?

Third, I agree with you that different denominations within Christianity hold mutually exclusive beliefs. But is this substantially different than the situation in science, history, literature, or any other field of study? Have you ever heard of controversies within science, with different factions holding mutually exclusive views? This is the case with EVERY new theory or idea! Usually these controversies are resolved over time, but it can take many decades, and there can still be hold-outs. Alvarez' dinosaur-meteor theory took a full decade to become generally accepted, and there are still some holdouts today who do not accept a causal connection.
                                Last edited by Kbertsche; 08-10-2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment