Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who buried Jesus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=RhinestoneCowboy;455235]

we "put off the body of the flesh" in Col. 2:11
    he's talking there about people who have been baptised, not about people who have ceased to live.

Luke, on the other hand says, "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." - Luke 24:39

Paul and Luke had a different idea of what Jesus' resurrection body was like.
    Where do we find evidence of these different ideas?
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
      I know they don't agree. It's because it refutes their orthodox view. No surprise there!
      Well that is your intent. Then so what? Repeating a falsehood does not make it true.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• 37818 Find a place in the Bible that says the Passover is celebrated at any time after the 14th day of the first month - they do exist. Then look for any date other than the 14th being given for the celebration of the Passover - they do not exist. Then look over the recent comments that you have made.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Well that is your intent. Then so what? Repeating a falsehood does not make it true.
          he is not worth arguing with. do like I do and just ignore him.

Comment

You mean contradictory evidence which coincidentally aligns with legendary growth over time since the amazing physical encounters only appear in the latest sources?
            Here's some special pleading.
            Do you consider the reports where Romulus or Asclepius "appear" or are "raised from the dead" to be evidence?
            Look, here's some more.
            Special pleading.....3.....2.....1
            Yep, right there in your post!
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Exodus 12:6-8 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening. 7 And they shall take of the blood, and strike [it] on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it. 8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread

In the evening that the lamb is to be slaughtered, and it is to be eaten in that night. The night of the 15th would be the NEXT night, not the same night - even if the lamb was slaughtered during the second evening.

Leviticus 23:5 In the fourteenth [day] of the first month at even [is] the LORD'S passover.
              This one doesn't even admit the possibility that the passover is on the 15th.
              Numbers 9:3-5 In the fourteenth day of this month, at even, ye shall keep it in his appointed season: according to all the rites of it, and according to all the ceremonies thereof, shall ye keep it. ... 5 And they kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the first month at even in the wilderness of Sinai
              ALL the rites of passover on the 14th. They kept the Passover on the 14th - no mention of any part of the Passover being celebrated on the 15th.

The passover celebration of today is not the same as in the time of Moses, nor is it the same as was done 2000 years ago.
              Again, same response. Eating it "that night" would be Nisan 15. The night indicates the beginning of the "next day" according to Jewish thought. Lambs weren't slaughtered in the evening. They were slaughtered in the afternoon per Josephus and the Mishnah.

"So these high priests, upon the coming of that feast which is called the Passover, when they slay their sacrifices, from the ninth hour till the eleventh, but so that a company not less than ten belong to every sacrifice (for it is not lawful for them to feast singly by themselves), and many of us are twenty in a company." - Josephus Wars 6.423

The 9th to 11th hours is 3-5pm.

Mishnah Tractate Pesachim - 5:1: "The continual (daily) offering 1 was slaughtered half an hour after the eighth hour, and sacrificed half an hour after the ninth hour; but on the day before Passover, whether that day happened to be a week-day or a Sabbath, it was slaughtered half an hour after the seventh hour, and sacrificed half an hour after the eighth hour. When the day before the Passover happened to be a Friday, it was slaughtered half an hour after the sixth hour, sacrificed half an hour after the seventh hour, and the Passover sacrifice celebrated (immediately) afterwards."

The "first hour" is 6am. It's saying on regular days, the offerings were slaughtered at 2:30 PM and sacrificed at 3:30. On the day before Passover, it was done an hour earlier, with the slaughter at 1:30 and the sacrifice at 2:30. If the day before Passover was on a Friday, everything was moved yet another hour earlier with the slaughter at 12:30 and the sacrifice at 1:30 with the feast immediately afterward. The classic view in the synoptics is that the Passover begins at sundown Thursday, which would mean the sacrifices (according to the Mishnah) had to happen prior to that at 2:30 PM. What night of the week are you claiming that they ate the Passover on?
              Last edited by RhinestoneCowboy; 06-28-2017, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                he is not worth arguing with. do like I do and just ignore him.
                Finally.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Here's some special pleading.

Look, here's some more.

Yep, right there in your post!
                  Looking forward to your refutation. http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post449602

Comment

Again, same response. Eating it "that night" would be Nisan 15. Lambs weren't slaughtered in the evening. They were slaughtered in the afternoon per Josephus and the Mishnah.

"So these high priests, upon the coming of that feast which is called the Passover, when they slay their sacrifices, from the ninth hour till the eleventh, but so that a company not less than ten belong to every sacrifice (for it is not lawful for them to feast singly by themselves), and many of us are twenty in a company." - Josephus Wars 6.423

The 9th to 11th hours is 3-5pm.

Mishnah Tractate Pesachim - 5:1: "The continual (daily) offering 1 was slaughtered half an hour after the eighth hour, and sacrificed half an hour after the ninth hour; but on the day before Passover, whether that day happened to be a week-day or a Sabbath, it was slaughtered half an hour after the seventh hour, and sacrificed half an hour after the eighth hour. When the day before the Passover happened to be a Friday, it was slaughtered half an hour after the sixth hour, sacrificed half an hour after the seventh hour, and the Passover sacrifice celebrated (immediately) afterwards."
                    Precisely which offerings is this passage talking about? Is it the Passover sacrifice?
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

That is what I was saying is the common missinterpretation. You are repeating it. If you choose to reject that interpreation that John agrees with the 15th crucifixion, that is your prerogative. I explained that interpretation (Luke 22:1; John 19:14; Numbers 28:24).
                      I still don't get it. The day the lambs were slaughtered was Nisan 14, not Nisan 15. John has Jesus crucified the SAME DAY the lambs are slaughtered - "Preparation for the Passover" - John 19:14. In contrast, the synoptics have Jesus executed THE DAY AFTER the Passover meal was eaten.

Comment

Precisely which offerings is this passage talking about? Is it the Passover sacrifice?
                        Yes, you'll notice that both Josephus and the Mishnah passage say "Passover." Here's the link: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...hapter-5#fn_53

Comment

Yes, you'll notice that both Josephus and the Mishnah passage say "Passover." Here's the link: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...hapter-5#fn_53
                          The second section that you cited makes no mention of the Passover.

And the first is a repost of what you posted earlier, and to which I responded earlier.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I still don't get it. The day the lambs were slaughtered was Nisan 14, not Nisan 15. John has Jesus crucified the SAME DAY the lambs are slaughtered - "Preparation for the Passover" - John 19:14. In contrast, the synoptics have Jesus executed THE DAY AFTER the Passover meal was eaten.
                            Jesus was executed, according to all the gospel accounts, on the day of preparation - the afternoon of the same day that he and the disciples ate the Passover. 18 hours after the start of the day, with the meal being eaten within a few hours of the start of the day.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

OK. I fail to understand your objection to my explanation that resurrected bodies are bloodless. Please explain how and why I have it wrong. You are contending I have it wrong about the resurrected bodies of Jesus and the saved. Please explain why.
                              There's no grounds for your assumption that Jesus' body was devoid of blood at the time of His death. Nothing in any Gospel or the NT even hints that the body was ever completely exsanguinated - nor was there any reason to do so, nor was there any ancient practice of doing so before burial.

The cross itself, including the stab wound, is not capable of complete exsanguination.

Theologically, His blood being shed is sufficient - there's no need to physically remove all the blood from the body nor does 'shedding blood' refer to exsanguination of that extent.

Your assumption that because the shed blood of Christ atones it must be all His blood is unwarranted.

In short, you're reading into the text what is not present. Since it is not true of Jesus Himself, your secondary conclusion that the saved will also live lives without blood is unwarranted.

It also contradicts Scripture - Scripture states that the life is in the blood. It seems unlikely that God will be creating a new bloodless form of life.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The second section that you cited makes no mention of the Passover.

And the first is a repost of what you posted earlier, and to which I responded earlier.
                                Huh?

And Josephus attests that the latest time the lambs were slaughtered was 5pm. This was not evening. It was still the afternoon of Nisan 14.

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                                Jesus was executed, according to all the gospel accounts, on the day of preparation - the afternoon of the same day that he and the disciples ate the Passover. 18 hours after the start of the day, with the meal being eaten within a few hours of the start of the day.
                                - Bart Ehrman, Jesus Interrupted, pg. 26.

As for your "Jews celebrated two different Passovers" excuse:

"Some scholars have argued that we have this difference between the Gospels because different Jews celebrated Passover on different days of the week. This is one of those explanations that sounds plausible until you dig a bit and think a bit more. It is true that some sectarian groups not connected with the Temple in Jerusalem thought that the Temple authorities followed an incorrect calendar. But in both Mark and John, Jesus is not outside Jerusalem with some sectarian group of Jews: he is in Jerusalem, where the lambs are being slaughtered. And in Jerusalem, there was only one day of Passover a year. The Jerusalem priests did not accommodate the calendrical oddities of a few sectarian fringe groups." - pg. 27

Comment