Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    You think modern Europe is a remnant of the Roman Empire? Even though much of it (Germany/Denmark/Poland/Scandinavia) was never even part of the Roman Empire?

Be specific. Which parts of Europe and which parts of the Middle East are remnants of the Roman Empire. Spain? Jerusalem? Scotland? Jordan? Sicily? Oman? Rome? Since your prophecy depends on there still being extant remnants of the Roman Empire to be crushed by 'God's kingdom',* unless you can actually name an extant remnant of the Roman Empire your prophecy has failed.

*In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end,
    Not that I (necessarily) subscribe to the basic theory, but the Vatican City itself remains as one of a few extant parts of the ancient Roman empire, though I believe that Napoleon essentially took the Vatican. There may be one or two small areas in addition that have never been successfully attacked. (something I recall reading a while ago, but I didn't take any real notice of the article.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      Not that I (necessarily) subscribe to the basic theory, but the Vatican City itself remains as one of a few extant parts of the ancient Roman empire, though I believe that Napoleon essentially took the Vatican.
      I tried checking. I think the Vatican shared the fate of Rome in 410 and 476, and ceased being part of the Roman Empire at the same time as the rest of Rome did, but confirming this'd take more research than I have time for.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I tried checking. I think the Vatican shared the fate of Rome in 410 and 476, and ceased being part of the Roman Empire at the same time as the rest of Rome did, but confirming this'd take more research than I have time for.
        As it happens, the 400s aren't needed to establish fall of the Vatican. Official Church of Rome records show that the Vatican fell in 1527.

Still trying to find that bit I remember about two very small areas that haven't been successfully invaded since Roman Republic times.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          As it happens, the 400s aren't needed to establish fall of the Vatican. Official Church of Rome records show that the Vatican fell in 1527.

Still trying to find that bit I remember about two very small areas that haven't been successfully invaded since Roman Republic times.
          ...and now I know about the Passetto di Borgo. Cool!
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
            Here is an excerpt from Daniel's vision of a large statue:

So "partly strong and partly brittle" refers to the remnants of the Roman Empire, and those remnants have persisted to this day. Other kingdoms aren't in view here, what would falsify this prophecy would be a reuniting of the remnants of the Roman empire into another kingdom.

The next step is God's kingdom:

Blessings,
            Lee
            Lee, you seem to understand the Kingdom of God much like the Jews of Jesus' day did. Rome was shattered about the 5th century with the triumph of Christianity; the kingdom of God is within you.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              The problem, Lee, is that development HAS occurred in that area. It simply has a different name (Hillah), much of the area is now aggrarian, and the heart of what was Babylon is a tourist area. So perhaps the board of the tourist area would suffice? Or the mayor of Hillah, which occupies some of what was formerly ancient Babylon?
              Though the tourist area is of the ruins of Babylon, the city has not therefore been rebuilt or reinhabited.

Blessings,
              Lee
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

So you think Spain is an extant remnant of the Roman Empire that will be crushed by 'God's Kingdom' - despite it already having been already conquered by the Visigoths in the 5th century, the Arabs in the 8th century, various Christian nations in the 13th century, and the French then the British in the 19th Century - not including various incursions by Magyars, Moroccans, and other Arabs, plus various internal conflicts. Your expected 'God's Kingdom' cannot crush the remnants of the Roman Empire since they will continue to be remnants of the Roman Empire even after being conquered.

So I would say the current situation with various peoples occupying this region suits the prophecy nicely, there has not been a fifth kingdom over this area.

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Your own source says this already happened:
                Yes, but I take it that even then Babylon was not rebuilt.

Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Lee, you seem to understand the Kingdom of God much like the Jews of Jesus' day did. Rome was shattered about the 5th century with the triumph of Christianity; the kingdom of God is within you.
                  Though I think Daniel is talking about the kingdom of God in a sense of earthly ruling:

"In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which will never be destroyed, and that kingdom will not be left for another people; it will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, but it will itself endure forever." Da 2:44.

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

So I would say the current situation with various peoples occupying this region suits the prophecy nicely, there has not been a fifth kingdom over this area.
                    But since you would also say the opposite situation (if the Roman Empire had never been conquered by Visigoths) suits the prophecy equally nicely, there is no way to falsify the prophesy in your mind.
                    'The prophesy is true - don't bother me with facts'.

Comment

Though the tourist area is of the ruins of Babylon, the city has not therefore been rebuilt or reinhabited.

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      OK, Lee. If it's important to your beliefs, so be it. It is not an adequate basis for me to establish a belief system. It's much too nebulous and unbounded.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

But since you would also say the opposite situation (if the Roman Empire had never been conquered by Visigoths) suits the prophecy equally nicely, there is no way to falsify the prophesy in your mind.
                        Well, no, the Roman Empire had to disintegrate somehow into "partly strong and partly brittle."

'The prophesy is true - don't bother me with facts'.

Comment

"but the city became insignificant and almost disappeared before the coming of Islam in the 7th century AD." (Encarta Encyclopedia)
                          So, what did the prophecy say? Not rebuilt? Or, rebuilt, but insignificant and almost disappearing?

Comment

Well, no, the Roman Empire had to disintegrate somehow into "partly strong and partly brittle."
                            Since you are still claiming the Babylon wasn't rebuild when you know it was the seat of the Seleucid government, you'd have no trouble finding an excuse for some of the Roman Empire being 'brittle'. The German parts being under frequent attack from Goths, for example.
                            "After 312 BC, Babylon was for a while used as a capital by the Seleucid dynasty
                            D'you think the government met in a field?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                              So, what did the prophecy say? Not rebuilt? Or, rebuilt, but insignificant and almost disappearing?
                              Or rebuilt, used as a capital, but displaced decades later when a new capital was founded?

Comment

Blessings,
                                Lee
                                The problem it is common all through ancient history many great cities, kingdoms, empires were destroyed and never rebuilt. Some cities destroyed were rebuilt again and again when it supported an economy and need.

A prophesy that any one city or another will not be rebuilt is not significant.

The prophesy concerning the city of Tyre being never rebuilt failed, because it has been rebuilt and occupied for most of history. There are numerous prophecies that have not come true. Point to a couple of maybes is not a good argument.
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-24-2017, 08:19 AM.

Comment