Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pascal's Wager: What Have I Lost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    IIRC one of the Egyptian myths held that non-believers were eaten by the serpent Apep after death and so didn't get an afterlife at all.
    so then no worse than if atheism is right, then.
    It's much worse.

Believe in Ra and Apep -> get an afterlife.
    Disbelieve in Ra and Apep -> don't get an afterlife.

You believe everyone gets an afterlife, right?
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post

No. There is also an after death death (Revelation 21:8, ". . . the second death).
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        So "eternal life" is the big draw-card.
        No. Christianity teaches that everyone gets eternal life, no matter if they believe or not. It's the eternal destination that is the important part.

Comment

It's much worse.

Believe in Ra and Apep -> get an afterlife.
          Disbelieve in Ra and Apep -> don't get an afterlife.

as I said just above: yeppers.

But Atheists believe you don't get one. So being eaten by Apep and not getting an afterlife is the functional equivalent to what happens to you in atheism. So you are back to the original Pascal's wager: Which is better? If Atheism/Egyptian is right I get nothing. If Christianity is right I get heaven.

At least for me, since I am a Christian.

For you:
          If Egyptian religion is correct you get nothing, same as atheism. But if Christianity is right you get hell, which is worse than nothing.

Comment

Which is better? If Atheism/Egyptian is right I get nothing. If Christianity is right I get heaven.

At least for me, since I am a Christian.

For you:
            If Egyptian religion is correct you get nothing, same as atheism. But if Christianity is right you get hell, which is worse than nothing.
            Is hell worth than nothing? Would a sincere non-believer or follower of another religion actually get hell? Is it really "follow me without any reason to do so or I'll torture you for eternity"???

For Sun-god worshippers:
            If Egyptian religion is correct, you get paradise.
            If Christian religion is correct, you get a second chance.
            If atheism is correct, you get nothing.

For Christians:
            If Egyptian religion is correct, you get nothing.
            If Christian religion is correct, you get paradise.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

No. Christianity teaches that everyone gets eternal life, no matter if they believe or not. It's the eternal destination that is the important part.
              No. The second death is not an eternal life.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Is hell worth than nothing? Would a sincere non-believer or follower of another religion actually get hell? Is it really "follow me without any reason to do so or I'll torture you for eternity"???
                1. Yes, hell is worse than nothing.
                2. It is not "Follow me without any reason to do so or I will torture you for eternity" - it is "you have sinned and done wrong and without accepting my forgiveness through Jesus you will be eternally separated from me" Basically at judgment day, you will be judged for your sins, not for "not believing"

We are all guilty of sin and rebelling against God. for that we deserve hell, which is separation from God. Jesus sacrificed himself to pay for our sins. Accepting him as your Lord and Savior means basically choosing sides and accepting God's mercy. Not believing means choosing sides and deciding you will just face Judgment by yourself and pay for your sins yourself. So believers get a "pardon" and nonbelievers have to serve out the sentence they deserve.

For Sun-god worshippers:
                If Egyptian religion is correct, you get paradise.
                If Christian religion is correct, you get a second chance.
                No, if Christianity is correct you get hell. There is no second chance after you die. Just the judgment.

For Christians:
                If Egyptian religion is correct, you get nothing.
                If Christian religion is correct, you get paradise.
                correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  No. The second death is not an eternal life.
                  You are still alive for eternity in hell. Not much of a life but still conscious and alive.

Comment

You are still alive for eternity in hell. Not much of a life but still conscious and alive.
                    False. Still conscious yes, but both the body and soul are dead for eternity in the second death. When a person merely dies from this life, the soul is not yet dead. Only after the judgement does the death of the soul occur in the second death.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      False. Still conscious yes, but both the body and soul are dead for eternity in the second death. When a person merely dies from this life, the soul is not yet dead. Only after the judgement does the death of the soul occur in the second death.
                      say whaaat?

Comment

say whaaat?
                        Some Christians argue that hell is not eternal (Theonomy took that position, for example).
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Some Christians argue that hell is not eternal (Theonomy took that position, for example).
                          I don't think that is what he is arguing though. I think he is arguing semantics. That "alive" only applies to heaven and "dead" applies to the very same conscious state in hell. He is picking nits.

Comment

Comment

say whaaat?
                              Jesus taught killing the body does not kill the soul. But both the body and soul will be ruined, perish, be destroyed in Hell (Matthew 10:28). Hell being identified as the second death (Revelation 20:11-15; Revelation 21:8). And that the dead bodies will gnash their teeth (Matthew 25:30) and the dead souls with their bodies be in torment forever(Revelation 14:10-11; comp Revelation 20:10).

Comment

I don't think that is what he is arguing though. I think he is arguing semantics. That "alive" only applies to heaven and "dead" applies to the very same conscious state in hell. He is picking nits.
                                God says it:

Ezekiel 18:4, 20; James 5:20.

Comment