Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pascal's Wager: What Have I Lost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
    I know what the Christian view is. I used to be a Christian. What you have not explained is why I should go back to believing the Christian view.
    Because it is true. But that is something you need to decide for yourself. I can only explain why I believe and what I believe. I would tell you that you need to believe because it is true and so that you may have eternal life. But then I don't think that is going to convince you. You have to decide for yourself.

Comment

• What you have not explained is why I should go back to believing the Christian view.
      [QUOTE=Sparko;438148]Because it is true.
      That is not helpful. Anyone can say that about any statement. It's about as circular as any argument can get.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      But that is something you need to decide for yourself.
      I think I should base any decision, about the truth or falsehood of any statement, on the evidence available to me. Do you have a different suggestion?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Because it is true. But that is something you need to decide for yourself. I can only explain why I believe and what I believe. I would tell you that you need to believe because it is true and so that you may have eternal life. But then I don't think that is going to convince you. You have to decide for yourself.
        'Because it is true,' is a meaningless response against those that do not believe in your narrow interpretation of the nature of reality that does not reflect reality.

Pascal's wager needs far more than this to justify other than as it is a proposal of fear of the alternatives.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-02-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Because it is true.
          No, because you believe it is true, which is not the same thing at all.

But that is something you need to decide for yourself.
          One can only decide based upon the available evidence. But there's no substantive evidence other than your say-so. Why should I believe you?

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            'Because it is true,' is a meaningless response against those that do not believe in your narrow interpretation of the nature of reality that does not reflect reality.

Pascal's wager needs far more than this to justify other than as it is a proposal of fear of the alternatives.
            Shuny, again please stay out of this thread.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              Science tells us that Adam and Eve are evolutionarily impossible fictions and that the Genesis creation narratives contradict the origin, history and evolution of the universe(s). There is considerable evidence supporting these facts.
              The genesis story was written by the early semite tribes. Adam is symbolic. He as a semite may have existed. I cant prove or disprove. The real Adam I believe came from southern Africa. I prefer to call the first race the Adamic race. They were a nomadic people that spread throughout the world. The genesis story hints at other than the semites as the first race when Cain goes to a distant land and finds a wife. Although some historians believe the Cain and Able story was added to the bible at a later date than the original Torah. Probably to push the idea that God desired blood sacrifices? In a book called the bible unearthed the claim that The Cain and Able story was added later is found. In Islam it is commonly believed there was two Edens. one on Earth and the original one was in Heaven before the fall of Man. It is also believed that Satan,s sin was not trying to battle against heaven. He was ordered to bow down to Adam and Eve and he refused believing we were inferior and not worthy to be placed above him in the eyes of God.

Comment

I know what the Christian view is. I used to be a Christian. What you have not explained is why I should go back to believing the Christian view.
                If your life is complete as is and you're content then you shouldn't.
                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

• I never cared for Pascal's wager.
                  I'm not sure a person can even be a Christian with that kind of analysis.
                  Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Because it is true.
                    That is not helpful. Anyone can say that about any statement. It's about as circular as any argument can get.
                    Why should I believe in Evolution?

I think I should base any decision, about the truth or falsehood of any statement, on the evidence available to me. Do you have a different suggestion?
                    No, you should definitely examine the evidence. Christianity is a religion based on evidence. I personally think the evidence is very good for it to be true. That is why I believe.

Comment

No, because you believe it is true, which is not the same thing at all.

One can only decide based upon the available evidence. But there's no substantive evidence other than your say-so. Why should I believe you?
                      You have already shown that NO evidence is good enough for you, so you are not worth my time answering your idiotic questions.

Comment

Why should I believe in Evolution?
                        You shouldn't.

Or at least you shouldn't believe in evolution. You should be initially sceptical but then accept it because the physical evidence is both consistent with and explained by evolution.

No, you should definitely examine the evidence. Christianity is a religion based on evidence. I personally think the evidence is very good for it to be true. That is why I believe.
                        In my experience the evidence for Christianity is uncorroboratable testimony, which while it could be called evidence, I find it unconvincing.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          You shouldn't.

Or at least you shouldn't believe in evolution. You should be initially sceptical but then accept it because the physical evidence is both consistent with and explained by evolution.
                          so what does the evidence prove? THAT IT IS TRUE? so basically the same thing I said about Christianity. Believe it because it is true.
                          In my experience the evidence for Christianity is uncorroboratable testimony, which while it could be called evidence, I find it unconvincing.
                          You would suck as a juror then.

Comment

Science tells us that Adam and Eve are evolutionarily impossible fictions and that the Genesis creation narratives contradict the origin, history and evolution of the universe(s). There is considerable evidence supporting these facts.

Science or hypothesis? Give a specific science fact. Not a generalization. You might also give what is you know about the human genome which would make the Genesis story of the creation of man and woman impossible. That would do it, I would think.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• The belief in evolution does not cancel out the possibility of God. I believe whatever truth there is in evolution had to be part part of Gods plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                                I think the greater question is, what does someone lose who does not believe, and Christianity IS true.
                                But christianity isn't true, so we don't lose anything. I know, I know, "how do you know?" Because i'm not stupid and can decipher between History and Fairytales.

Comment