Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

PMPN: empty tomb written Mid first centiury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by metacrock View Post
    I don't believe koester thinks that. The book you quoted from says things that contradict ACG so there's a problem I don't accept your source. There is absolutely no question that Koester says empty tomb was in PMPN. he says it point blank and I quoted him.

Crosson does not say they made up the empty tomb. I' e read two books on it by him and he says the women where made up. He argues against Doherty based upon the testimony of the community so he values that.

Even if it was true it wouldn't matter. I would say they are not consistent with their own view but they do get the tomb into the early lit.
    Koester and Crosson did not think up the PMPN. They get that from Danker who did tye real work. Brown also. Koester names eight scholars.
    Answer this:

Does Koester believe there really was an empty tomb?

Does Crossan believe there really was an empty tomb?
    My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
      Answer this:

Does Koester believe there really was an empty tomb?

Does Crossan believe there really was an empty tomb?
      this is what I've told you

Koester says things that would lead one to believe so, weather he does not is unimportant.

I think Crosson does not. his reasons are not well thought-out and have been attacked by other scholars. craig gives a list:

his reasons for seeing empty tombs as part of PMPN are scholarly and his reasons for not believing in empty tomb are ideological.
      Last edited by metacrock; 04-20-2016, 04:31 AM.
      Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

Comment

to be acceptable to secular academia one is expected to take the secular stance on issues involving any kind of miracle. Many scholars are into being accepted in the academy.
        Metacrock's Blog

Comment

this is what I've told you

Koester says things that would lead one to believe so, weather he does not is unimportant.
          I agree it is not unimportant, hence I asked the question.

Can you actually quote Koester stating that the empty tomb was real?

I have already presented this, and I appreciate it is not Koester talking, but it seems to trump anything you have presented so far with respect to Koester's position on whether the empty tomb was real or not:

"In the first half of the third programme in the series Jesus: The Evidence, Professor H. Koester of Harvard University put forwards a view which must have been surprising, even astonishing, to many, not excluding many New Testament scholars. His argument was (1) that the first Christians must have followed the normal practice of worshipping at the tomb of Jesus; (2) that the Christians who had abandoned Jerusalem shortly before the outbreak of the Jewish revolt in AD 66 decided to explain the lack of worship at the tomb by saying the tomb was empty; and (3) that as the Gospels were written down years later, the story quickly began to be used to suggest that the tomb had always been empty."
          https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ing%22&f=false
          I think Crosson does not. his reasons are not well thought-out and have been attacked by other scholars. craig gives a list:

his reasons for seeing empty tombs as part of PMPN are scholarly and his reasons for not believing in empty tomb are ideological.
          Like your reasons for believing it are ideological. A useful rationale for ignoring all who disagree with our cherished ideas, whether they are right or wrong.

Seems to me you are citing Crossan as an authority when he agrees with you, and at the same time saying he is unreliable when he does not. Cherry-picking is, I think, the term.

Comment

Here is what I suggest could have happened.
            • Jesus gets arrested and crucified, the disciples flee (we can see remnents of this in Mark 14:27). Jesus body is discarded like any other criminal at that time (as per Crossan).
            • Weeks or months later Peter sees a vision that he interprets as Jesus in Galilee (1 Cor 15 indicates Peter had the vision first). He contacts the other disciples, and they too see something.
            • The new religion gets going, and after a while a passion narrative appears, recounting Jesus arrest. It stops at that point because that was all the disciples were there for.
            • At some point the trial and crucifixion are added. The trial is made up; there were no disciples present. The crucifixion is likewise made up, but based on Roman practices, all too common at the time.
            • At some later point the empty tomb is added to the narrative
            • The author of Mark writes his gospel, incorporating the passion narrative. He alludes to the disciples seeing Jesus in Galilee; he is unaware of any accounts of Jesus seen in Jerusalem simply because no one has made them up yet (and that is because people are still alive who remember being in Jerusalem at the time).

What I want to emphasise here is the passion narrative changed, it evolved, it got embellished. The empty tomb was in the passion narrative, but not from the start. This is consistent with what Crossan and Koester argue.

Comment

I agree it is not unimportant, hence I asked the question.

Can you actually quote Koester stating that the empty tomb was real?
              I don't have that book available now

I have already presented this, and I appreciate it is not Koester talking, but it seems to trump anything you have presented so far with respect to Koester's position on whether the empty tomb was real or not:
              except the fact that it doesn't matter. I'm not going to base my view on such a basic issue one what one guy thinks.
              The matter of the tomb being mentioned in PMPN is different.

"In the first half of the third programme in the series Jesus: The Evidence, Professor H. Koester of Harvard University put forwards a view which must have been surprising, even astonishing, to many, not excluding many New Testament scholars. His argument was (1) that the first Christians must have followed the normal practice of worshipping at the tomb of Jesus; (2) that the Christians who had abandoned Jerusalem shortly before the outbreak of the Jewish revolt in AD 66 decided to explain the lack of worship at the tomb by saying the tomb was empty; and (3) that as the Gospels were written down years later, the story quickly began to be used to suggest that the tomb had always been empty."
              https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ing%22&f=false
              Like your reasons for believing it are ideological. A useful rationale for ignoring all who disagree with our cherished ideas, whether they are right or wrong.

Seems to me you are citing Crossan as an authority when he agrees with you, and at the same time saying he is unreliable when he does not. Cherry-picking is, I think, the term.[/QUOTE]

I will have o look into it but as I said it wouldn't surprise me because I know he's liberal .It wouldn't change my belief because that's a different matter than the bit about fating the story.

one reason I d=find it hared to believe is because it['s a stupid assumption: "that the Christians who had abandoned Jerusalem shortly before the outbreak of the Jewish revolt in AD 66 decided to explain the lack of worship at the tomb by saying the tomb was empty; and (3)" why couldn't they just explain it by saying they all got killed by the Romans? that would be honorable. Moreover. that argument is criteria of embarrassment which atheists usually abhor since it justifies an idea based upon dying for something they know is a lie and son on.
              Last edited by metacrock; 04-20-2016, 10:32 AM.
              Metacrock's Blog

Comment

[QUOTE=The Pixie;310254]Here is what I suggest could have happened.

• Jesus gets arrested and crucified, the disciples flee (we can see remnents of this in Mark 14:27). Jesus body is discarded like any other criminal at that time (as per Crossan).
                • Weeks or months later Peter sees a vision that he interprets as Jesus in Galilee (1 Cor 15 indicates Peter had the vision first). He contacts the other disciples, and they too see something.
                • There is no reason to assume they could get it going after months or even weeks. Everyone would be totally disillusioned and moved on by them. psychological theories like cognitive dissonance require immediate reaction not time to think about it. There is every indication that the reaction was immediate.

• The new religion gets going, and after a while a passion narrative appears, recounting Jesus arrest. It stops at that point because that was all the disciples were there for.

you have these things "appearing" disembodied without even considering who would write them or why., The real world doesn't work that way. The community got going because they moved in together and shared their goods and learned the stories of the eye witnesses. they didn't just spout a bunch of made up crap they controlled the telling and probably listened extensively to witnesses,

• At some point the trial and crucifixion are added. The trial is made up; there were no disciples present. The crucifixion is likewise made up, but based on Roman practices, all too common at the time.
              what reason is there to assume the trail is made up? you have him being crucified. they7 would have had a trail to crucify him. that is realistic to assume.

• At some later point the empty tomb is added to the narrative
            • The author of Mark writes his gospel, incorporating the passion narrative. He alludes to the disciples seeing Jesus in Galilee; he is unaware of any accounts of Jesus seen in Jerusalem simply because no one has made them up yet (and that is because people are still alive who remember being in Jerusalem at the time).
            • that is not the great point you think it is. Jesus may not have been in Jerusalem after the res. He was seen in various places but in the ascension he was in Bethany. That is near Jerusalem but not in it exactly. It was sort of a suburb. that may prove problematic for your view because Bethany amounts to a Jerusalem sighting.

What I want to emphasise here is the passion narrative changed, it evolved, it got embellished. The empty tomb was in the passion narrative, but not from the start. This is consistent with what Crossan and Koester argue.
              embellishments don't diminish the basic testimony. you are exaggerating the evolution, The fact is it clearly did not evolve much. What really happened this so empirical just open your eyes. it really stayed the same and froze to stone right away, one of my major arguments for Jesus' historicity There is one story if it evolved a lot it would have fragmented as al; mythology does there would have been a dozen versions.
              Metacrock's Blog

Comment

there is only one Jesus story one version no multiple versions.
                Metacrock's Blog

Comment

I don't have that book available now
                  I can wait.
                  except the fact that it doesn't matter. I'm not going to base my view on such a basic issue one what one guy thinks.
                  Two guys. All the evidence you have presented comes down to what Koester and Crossan say.
                  The matter of the tomb being mentioned in PMPN is different.
                  Of course it is. You agree with that bit.

It is called cherry-picking.
                  I will have o look into it but as I said it wouldn't surprise me because I know he's liberal .It wouldn't change my belief because that's a different matter than the bit about fating the story.
                  Of course. You cite him as an authority where he agrees with you, but accept his opinion will not sway you if you disagree with him.

Did I already say cherry picking? I think I did.
                  one reason I d=find it hared to believe is because it['s a stupid assumption: "that the Christians who had abandoned Jerusalem shortly before the outbreak of the Jewish revolt in AD 66 decided to explain the lack of worship at the tomb by saying the tomb was empty; and (3)" why couldn't they just explain it by saying they all got killed by the Romans? that would be honorable. Moreover. that argument is criteria of embarrassment which atheists usually abhor since it justifies an idea based upon dying for something they know is a lie and son on.
                  Maybe we should question all Koester's claims about that time, not just the ones you disagree with.

Comment

You have done some freaky stuff with that post, metacrock.
                    There is no reason to assume they could get it going after months or even weeks. Everyone would be totally disillusioned and moved on by them. psychological theories like cognitive dissonance require immediate reaction not time to think about it. There is every indication that the reaction was immediate.
                    Seems more likely than some guy coming back to life.
                    you have these things "appearing" disembodied without even considering who would write them or why., The real world doesn't work that way. The community got going because they moved in together and shared their goods and learned the stories of the eye witnesses. they didn't just spout a bunch of made up crap they controlled the telling and probably listened extensively to witnesses,
                    I agree. They got together as a community, and the narrative developed out of witnesses comparing notes and discussing what happened and what probably happened.
                    ]what reason is there to assume the trail is made up? you have him being crucified. they7 would have had a trail to crucify him. that is realistic to assume.
                    I imagine there was a trial, but I suggest the Christians made up the details of the trial (and not as we have it today, which was subsequently reworked to appeal to the Romans, and distance them from the Jews).

Who do you think was witness to the discussion between Jesus and Pilate?
                    that is not the great point you think it is. Jesus may not have been in Jerusalem after the res. He was seen in various places but in the ascension he was in Bethany. That is near Jerusalem but not in it exactly. It was sort of a suburb. that may prove problematic for your view because Bethany amounts to a Jerusalem sighting.
                    I was including Bethany as Jerusalem, so I agree that Bethany amounts to a Jerusalem sighting. I do not see that as a problem to my view.
                    embellishments don't diminish the basic testimony. you are exaggerating the evolution, The fact is it clearly did not evolve much. What really happened this so empirical just open your eyes. it really stayed the same and froze to stone right away, one of my major arguments for Jesus' historicity There is one story if it evolved a lot it would have fragmented as al; mythology does there would have been a dozen versions.
                    We see exactly that fragmentation in the post-resurrection appearances. The big question is, what was the basic testimony? I am pretty sure the disciples saw something that they took to Jesus; my guess is it was something similar to what Paul saw, and seen only in Galilee.

Comment

You have done some freaky stuff with that post, metacrock.

Seems more likely than some guy coming back to life.

It would take something like that. They just had their head buy arrested and murdered. he was supposed t5o be God's man. so either everything they believed in was wrong or the enemy beat God either way it 'deflating. everyone does not think like modern atheists.

I agree. They got together as a community, and the narrative developed out of witnesses comparing notes and discussing what happened and what probably happened.

I imagine there was a trial, but I suggest the Christians made up the details of the trial (and not as we have it today, which was subsequently reworked to appeal to the Romans, and distance them from the Jews).

why must we assume it? what if they did? who cares? tho9se are just details.

Who do you think was witness to the discussion between Jesus and Pilate?

what if that discussion was made up who cares??the only important thing is that he was executed and that guards were placed on the tomb. I'm not saying the trial is unimportant but what if he didn't say "you say that I am" 'or Pilate didn't wash his hands what does that change?

On the other hand who could have heard it would be Nichodemius. He was Sanhedrim ne he supported Jesus at least secretly he knew how to contact Jesus' people.

I was including Bethany as Jerusalem, so I agree that Bethany amounts to a Jerusalem sighting. I do not see that as a problem to my view.
                      your view says no Jerusalem sightings right? that[s one, it's in Luke. So there was one. He was around between resurrection and ascension for about a month so he had time to go places.

We see exactly that fragmentation in the post-resurrection appearances. The big question is, what was the basic testimony? I am pretty sure the disciples saw something that they took to Jesus; my guess is it was something similar to what Paul saw, and seen only in Galilee.[/QUOTE]

no we don't. read the argument, you are counting minute differences and I'm talking major major differences.

With Hercules one story says he ws poisoned another says shot with an arrow, there are no stories where Jesus is sh9tor hanged by a rope or stoned, he's always crucified always,.

always at noon, mother is always Mary, friends are always peter and John, He's always rising on the third day. He's alays crucified and always by the Romans and always in Jerusalem.
                      Metacrock's Blog

Comment

1) Jesus lived on earth as a man from the beginning of the first century to AD 33.

2) That his mother was supposed to be a Virgin named "Mary"

3) Same principle players, Peter, Andrew, Philip, John, Mary Magdeline.

4) That Jesus was knows as a miracles worker.

5) he claimed to be the son of God and Messiah.

6) he was crucified under Pilate.

7) Around the time of the Passover.

8) at noon.

9) rose from the dead leaving an empty tomb.

10) several woman with MM discovered the empty tomb.

11) That this was in Jerusalem.

There were hundreds of sources, different books and Gospels and Acts, that never made it into the New Testament. The Jesus story is re-told countrless times from early days (around AD50 first written) to the fourth century, before there was ever a major alternatiion in any of these basic details. Even after that time, no one ever disagreed with these points listed avove.

The most flagrant exception might seem to be the Gnostics who claimed that Jesus was not flesh and blood but illusory so he didn't really die on the cross. Yet, the didn't deny that there was an event where he seemed to die on the cross. Even when their ideology contradicted the history they still could not deny the seeming facts. they just re-interpreted the facts.
                        Metacrock's Blog

Comment

1) Jesus lived on earth as a man from the beginning of the first century to AD 33.

2) That his mother was supposed to be a Virgin named "Mary"

3) Same principle players, Peter, Andrew, Philip, John, Mary Magdeline.

4) That Jesus was knows as a miracles worker.

5) he claimed to be the son of God and Messiah.

6) he was crucified under Pilate.

7) Around the time of the Passover.

8) at noon.

9) rose from the dead leaving an empty tomb.

10) several woman with MM discovered the empty tomb.

11) That this was in Jerusalem.

There were hundreds of sources, different books and Gospels and Acts, that never made it into the New Testament. The Jesus story is re-told countrless times from early days (around AD50 first written) to the fourth century, before there was ever a major alternatiion in any of these basic details. Even after that time, no one ever disagreed with these points listed avove.

The most flagrant exception might seem to be the Gnostics who claimed that Jesus was not flesh and blood but illusory so he didn't really die on the cross. Yet, the didn't deny that there was an event where he seemed to die on the cross. Even when their ideology contradicted the history they still could not deny the seeming facts. they just re-interpreted the facts.
                          Are you claiming this was all in the PMPN? I would like to see the evidence for 2 (specifically that she was a virgin).

Certainly Koester and Crossan, who believe the empty tomb was made up, agree the empty tomb was in the PMPN at some point, but whether it was there from the start is unclear. Of course the story of the discovery of the empty tomb was based in Jerusalem; are you suggesting post resurrection sights also in Jerusalem in the PMPN?

Comment

It would take something like that. They just had their head buy arrested and murdered. he was supposed t5o be God's man. so either everything they believed in was wrong or the enemy beat God either way it 'deflating. everyone does not think like modern atheists.
                            Of course it was deflating. That was why they scattered like sheep, as per Jesus' prediction.

But then they saw something miraculous, and that convinced them Jesus had conquered death. I imagine that had the opposite effect.
                            what if that discussion was made up who cares??the only important thing is that he was executed and that guards were placed on the tomb. I'm not saying the trial is unimportant but what if he didn't say "you say that I am" 'or Pilate didn't wash his hands what does that change?
                            What it gives is a precedent for the early Christians embellishing. It seems highly like they made this up, and so it becomes more likely they made other stuff up to to construct the narrative. Certainly the narrative was based on fact, but how can we tell what is fact and what is embellishment?
                            On the other hand who could have heard it would be Nichodemius. He was Sanhedrim ne he supported Jesus at least secretly he knew how to contact Jesus' people.
                            Nicodemus, the guy who only appears in a gospel written sixty years later, and is strangely missing from the gospels that closest follow the PMPN? The guy who is almost certainly a late embellishment? You think he was the witness?
                            your view says no Jerusalem sightings right? that[s one, it's in Luke. So there was one. He was around between resurrection and ascension for about a month so he had time to go places.
                            I am well aware there are several in the Bible, thank you.

I am saying there were none in the PMPN.

All the Jerusalem sights were later embellishments.
                            no we don't. read the argument, you are counting minute differences and I'm talking major major differences.
                            Thinks like dead saints walking around?
                            With Hercules one story says he ws poisoned another says shot with an arrow, there are no stories where Jesus is sh9tor hanged by a rope or stoned, he's always crucified always,.
                            How long after the Hercules myth was invented until it was written down? Jesus' myth became set in stone, as it were, when it was got written. It did not have time to fragment in the same way. Less time, less fragmentation. Just as we see.
                            always at noon, mother is always Mary, friends are always peter and John, He's always rising on the third day. He's alays crucified and always by the Romans and always in Jerusalem.
                            Actually, in John he is crucified a day earlier, so in that account he rose on the fourth day (which we would three days later). Exactly who witnessed when Jesus was resurrected? The women found the tomb empty, so that gives a maximum time, but he could have been resurrected an hour after burial. There are no witnesses to say otherwise. The third day comes not from witnesses, but from the Old Testament (Hosea 6:2 in particular), as Paul clearly says:

1 Corinthians 15:4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Comment

Are you claiming this was all in the PMPN? I would like to see the evidence for 2 (specifically that she was a virgin).
                              No those are elements I find that never change in the Jesus story and are consistent and major enough to demarcate one story.

Certainly Koester and Crossan, who believe the empty tomb was made up, agree the empty tomb was in the PMPN at some point, but whether it was there from the start is unclear. Of course the story of the discovery of the empty tomb was based in Jerusalem; are you suggesting post resurrection sights also in Jerusalem in the PMPN?
                              I quoted Koester verbatim saying mid first century
                              Metacrock's Blog

Comment