Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Celebrating Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey! It's on December 25 this year!

(unless you're gonna be piggish about it)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Hey! It's on December 25 this year!

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        My work here is done!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's a nasty way to refer to the Orthodox.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            That's a nasty way to refer to the Orthodox.
            Assuming NR is playing along here, but considering the possibility he's not, lemme be perfectly clear....

I was 'poking' OBP with the "piggish" comment, but I have the highest regard for his view of Christianity, and mean no ill will toward Orthodoxy of any flavor.

Comment

Assuming NR is playing along here, but considering the possibility he's not, lemme be perfectly clear....

I was 'poking' OBP with the "piggish" comment, but I have the highest regard for his view of Christianity, and mean no ill will toward Orthodoxy of any flavor.
              I figgured you was just pokin' me. I'm on the New Calendar though, so I celebrate the same day you do.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I figgured you was just pokin' me.
                Yup, and I wouldn't do it if I didn't love you.

I'm on the New Calendar though, so I celebrate the same day you do.
                Linky, please?

And, a very Merry Christmas, OBP, to you and yours.

Comment

Yup, and I wouldn't do it if I didn't love you.

Linky, please?
                  This work (you might have to switch to Dec)? I'd link to my diocese, but we're mixed - some parishes are on the Old Calendar, and some are on the new (the mix is slowly shifting toward the NC, since parishes can switch from OC to NC with a 2/3 vote, but can't switch the other way, and new parishes, of which mine is one, are on the NC).
                  And, a very Merry Christmas, OBP, to you and yours.
                  Right back atcha!
                  sigpic

Comment

This work (you might have to switch to Dec)?
                    Great! And "Holy Nativity" -- I like that!

Comment

I wasn't sure. I didn't know about OBP's particular understanding of Christianity.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        I wasn't sure. I didn't know about OBP's particular understanding of Christianity.
                        It was a 'poke' at a dear brother, but it's not always obvious, so I thought there might be a misunderstanding. OBP used to be on the calendar that had Christmas on a different day, as he is Orthodox.

(Perhaps he'd suggest that WE were the ones who had Christmas (Holy Nativity) on a different day )

Glad we cleared that up..

Comment

It was a 'poke' at a dear brother, but it's not always obvious, so I thought there might be a misunderstanding. OBP used to be on the calendar that had Christmas on a different day, as he is Orthodox.

(Perhaps he'd suggest that WE were the ones who had Christmas (Holy Nativity) on a different day )

Glad we cleared that up..
                          Technically, my church used to be on a different calendar which celebrated Holy Nativity on the same day. December 25th on the Julian calendar just now happens to fall on January 7 on the Gregorian calendar (and will until 2100, when the Julian calendar adds a leap day where the Gregorian does not, at which point it will fall on January 8th on the Gregorian calendar).

Clear as mud?

Actually, if you go WAY back, it appears that Rome and its environs initially celebrated the birth of Christ on December 25, and the East celebrated the birth of Christ/baptism of the Lord on January 6. In the 4th century, the East began to follow Rome's date for celebrating the birth of Christ, but kept the celebration of the Lord's baptism on January 6, whereas Rome began to celebrate the Lord's baptism on January 6th or thereabouts (it wanders a bit these days).
                          sigpic

Comment

Technically, my church used to be on a different calendar which celebrated Holy Nativity on the same day. December 25th on the Julian calendar just now happens to fall on January 7 on the Gregorian calendar (and will until 2100, when the Julian calendar adds a leap day where the Gregorian does not, at which point it will fall on January 8th on the Gregorian calendar).

Clear as mud?

Actually, if you go WAY back, it appears that Rome and its environs initially celebrated the birth of Christ on December 25, and the East celebrated the birth of Christ/baptism of the Lord on January 6. In the 4th century, the East began to follow Rome's date for celebrating the birth of Christ, but kept the celebration of the Lord's baptism on January 6, whereas Rome began to celebrate the Lord's baptism on January 6th or thereabouts (it wanders a bit these days).
                            Interesting. There's probably an app for that!

Comment

• By the way - Merry Christmas!

(Trump said it's OK to say that)

Comment

They wouldn't have to, actually. The Spanish call it "Nativity".
                                In my tradition = Marist & Bridigine, so do we! And I am anglo-irish-saxon.

It is unfortunate that the prostitution of Christianity has been imposed upon us via protestantism

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X