Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Celebrating Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Why wouldn't it be? Does he need to use sarcasm tags?
    Only for those who are so impaired as to not know the difference between a jest and a serious statement.

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Which would be everyone on Tweb.

. . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      The apostles were not sola scriptura; we shouldn't be either.
      I believe the apostles were likely sola scriptura, but there is no direct evidence that this was the case. Celebrating Christmas is not in scripture, but related to the celebrating a Roman holiday celbrating one or more Roman Gods over time as a Christian holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I believe the apostles were likely sola scriptura, but there is no direct evidence that this was the case.
        You mean, the ones preaching Jesus Christ for 30 years or so before the NT was even written?
        Celebrating Christmas is not in scripture, but related to the celebrating a Roman holiday celbrating one or more Roman Gods over time as a Christian holiday.
        This has already been covered in-thread.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Only for those who are so impaired as to not know the difference between a jest and a serious statement.

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Which would be everyone on Tweb.

You can not always tell the difference.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            I do hope this is tongue in cheek. I wish that the Christmas tree post was also.
            Yes, it was a joke. Legalism is ridiculous, and should be mocked at every opportunity.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

If people have traditions that aren't explicitly found or forbidden in scripture, I see no reason why they can't keep them. My wife grew up with Holiday traditions, but I didn't. I let her have her little family thing, but I refused to lie to my kids, so I tell them that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, etc. is just pretend. If they want to have a story about the real St. Nicolaus, I'll give them a history lesson about the real one from the 4th century who from what I can tell did his best to be a righteous, generous and spiritual person. Dec. 25th is not Jesus birthday, but just a wild guess that people picked because nobody knew the real answer so they picked the time of a Roman festival. Passover was meant to be observed without chocolate rabbits and egg hunts, but if you want to chase eggs with a bunch of other kids, have fun without trying to mix the two.

Traditions are not a sin, but I think lying is.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cow View Post
                Not only that... it doesn't look good if you teach your kids about God, as well as Santa, the tooth fairy, etc... and they gradually figure out the others don't exist.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

My kids learned from me that Santa was just for fun. They still sort of believed, or so acted.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I don't understand. What do you mean Santa is just pretend?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cow View Post
                      If people have traditions that aren't explicitly found or forbidden in scripture, I see no reason why they can't keep them. My wife grew up with Holiday traditions, but I didn't. I let her have her little family thing, but I refused to lie to my kids, so I tell them that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, etc. is just pretend. If they want to have a story about the real St. Nicolaus, I'll give them a history lesson about the real one from the 4th century who from what I can tell did his best to be a righteous, generous and spiritual person. Dec. 25th is not Jesus birthday, but just a wild guess that people picked because nobody knew the real answer so they picked the time of a Roman festival. Passover was meant to be observed without chocolate rabbits and egg hunts, but if you want to chase eggs with a bunch of other kids, have fun without trying to mix the two.

Not how it happened from what I understand. According to what I've read, it had to do with an early Christian, and I believe Jewish belief that prophets, and others approved by God died the corresponding day to when they were conceived. Just add the 9 months from the date of Jesus' death, and you get a date sometime around December 25th.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        Not how it happened from what I understand. According to what I've read, it had to do with an early Christian, and I believe Jewish belief that prophets, and others approved by God died the corresponding day to when they were conceived. Just add the 9 months from the date of Jesus' death, and you get a date sometime around December 25th.
                        Yeah, I link an extensive article up-thread that deals with this. In any case, the church has felt free to pick a convenient date if the actual one is not known (or the actual date conflicts with something more important). For example, the Transfiguration is generally acknowledged to have happened shortly before the Crucifixion; however, it is celebrated in August in order to move the celebration outside of the Lenten period.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          He said Santa was "just for fun" as in he brings toys which are fun.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            He said Santa was "just for fun" as in he brings toys which are fun.
                            well duh. But Super Cow said he was just pretend. Maybe he meant that Santa likes to pretend he is just imaginary to fool the adults?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Tree decorating and gift-giving and (I think) mistletoe come from the Roman Saturnalia festival, which also was celebrated for 7 days on December 25th. Your point about the conception/death of prophets is real, but I think it's accuracy can be refuted scripturally at least in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                When I was teaching on Paul's trip to Rome, when he passed the Island of Myra, I did a diversion. That's where Saint Nicholas lived. He was born into a wealthy family, and his parents died while he was a young adult. Adhering to Jesus's statement to the rich man to give what he had to the poor and follow Him, Nicholas gave his wealth to poor people. He later became a bishop and took part in the Council of Nicea where they had to deal with the Arian heresy in AD 325. He became so angry with Arius that he got up and punched him in the face. Can you imaging getting slugged in the face by Santa Claus? I guess getting coal in his stocking wasn't enough.
                                When I Survey....

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X