Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Celebrating Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    I've actually seen a good argument for a December 25th / January 8th date that comes from a Jewish belief that a prophet departs this world on the same day of the year that he was conceived. When Jesus crucified? Passover. Which is on overage (depending on the lunar cycles) 9 months before Christmas.

It was in an old Parchment and Pen blog can't find it now, but here is another one that argues for the date for other reasons:
    http://credohouse.org/blog/on-what-date-was-christ-born

This old Biblical Archaeology Review article delves into it.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20091214.../christmas.asp
    Or from a few hours ago...
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    To elaborate, from something I wrote in response to some Jesus Mythers on another website a few years ago (and I might have posted here later):

A festival for Sol Invictus on Dec. 25 was only established c. 274 or 275 AD by an emperor who was not very friendly toward Christianity. Prior to that the traditional festival days varied throughout the Roman Empire and included August 8th and/or the 9th, possibly August 28th, and December 11th -- but never December 25th.

OTOH, Christians had been marking the birth of Christ as taking place on December 25th since at least 204 AD, as the Commentary on the prophet Daniel[1]), since at least 200 AD, was March 25th[2]. Back then it was assumed that truly righteous men lived a whole number of years, without fractions meaning that they died on the same day they were conceived on (see the Talmud for examples). In short, if He died on March 25th He was must have also been conceived on March 25th. Add 9 months to the date of conception and you arrive at December 25th as the date of birth.

The confusion arises over the fact that the earliest Christians weren't really into celebrating the birth of Christ (they were far more interested in His death)[3]1. In some parts of the East, especially in Asia Minor and in Egypt, they concluded that it was April 6th with the discrepancy being largely due to the difficulties of trying to translate an unfamiliar lunar calendar into a solar calendar.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      I've actually seen a good argument for a December 25th / January 8th date that comes from a Jewish belief that a prophet departs this world on the same day of the year that he was conceived. When Jesus crucified? Passover. Which is on overage (depending on the lunar cycles) 9 months before Christmas.

It was in an old Parchment and Pen blog can't find it now, but here is another one that argues for the date for other reasons:
      http://credohouse.org/blog/on-what-date-was-christ-born

This old Biblical Archaeology Review article delves into it.
      https://web.archive.org/web/20091214.../christmas.asp
      It seems to me I remember Rogue going on about something like that.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Or from a few hours ago...
        But I hadn't had my morning coffee yet when you post it, so it is irrelevant
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
          Many Christians believe that the only elements that should be included in the worship of God are the elements that are explicitly commanded by the Bible. According to the Bible, celebrating Christmas is not one of the elements included in the worship of God. Worshiping God should not include the celebration of Christmas. How would you respond to this?
          The celebration of Christmas is a matter of liberty for believers. I do not believe that Christians are required to celebrate or observe any specific holy days in the era of the New Covenant. You may celebrate or refrain. (In any case, worship of God is never to be confined to a specific day or season.)
          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
            Many Christians believe that the only elements that should be included in the worship of God are the elements that are explicitly commanded by the Bible. According to the Bible, celebrating Christmas is not one of the elements included in the worship of God. Worshiping God should not include the celebration of Christmas. How would you respond to this?
            It depends which God a person worships.

As it is not of The Bible and has been grafted of from pagan Sun worship via the Solstice and Saturnalia etc., and one claims to be Christian then no.

If one worships nature or the Sun god Sol, or old father time Saturn then yes in one wants to.
            BU

Comment

• Since you are a Jehovah's Witness Bibleuser, it may interest you to know that Russell and the other Jehovah's Witnesses used to celebrate Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bibleuser View Post
                It depends which God a person worships.

As it is not of The Bible and has been grafted of from pagan Sun worship via the Solstice and Saturnalia etc., and one claims to be Christian then no.

If one worships nature or the Sun god Sol, or old father time Saturn then yes in one wants to.
                BU
                Good thing Christmas has nothing to do with either Saturnalia, or Sol Invictus then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Since you are a Jehovah's Witness Bibleuser, it may interest you to know that Russell and the other Jehovah's Witnesses used to celebrate Christmas.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=500689
                  ]

You are so behind the times!!!

That stopped many years ago when it was shown to be pagan.

Please get up to-date.

You know better than that.

We change when things are not in harmony with scripture as you have just proved.
                  BU

Comment

]

Please get up to-date.

We change when things are not in harmony with scripture as you have just proved.
                    BU
                    So, like the Mormons, your guy got a lot of stuff wrong right off the bat?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      Good thing Christmas has nothing to do with either Saturnalia, or Sol Invictus then.
                      The Early Church by Henry Chadwick p.126-7
                      "Clement of Alexander (c. A.D. 200) speaks of Christ driving his chariot across the sky like the Sun-god. A tomb mosaic recently found at Rome, probably made in the fourth century, depicts Christ as the Sun-god mounting the heavens with his chariot. Tertullian says that many pagans imagined the Christians worshipped the sun because the met on Sundays and prayed towards the East. Moreover, early in the fourth century there begins in the West (where first and by whom is not known) the celebration of 25th December, the birthday of the Sun-god at the winter solstice, as the date the nativity of Christ. How easy it was for Christianity and solar religion to become entangled at the popular level is strikingly illustrated by the mid-fifth century sermon of Pope Leo the Great, rebuking his over-cautious flock for paying reverence to the Sun on the steps of St Peter's before turning their back on it to worship inside the westward-facing basilica."

BU

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        I do not know any Christian who believes that December 25th is the actual date of Jesus birth. What is celebrated is the fact of His coming.
                        Getting him confused with Humphrey Bogart.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

]

Please get up to-date.

BU
                          So you are saying that Charles Russel and the people who started and ran the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower were wrong?

What makes you think they are not wrong now?

They even used to use CROSSES!!!

pyramid4.jpg

and notice the pagan Pyramid! Charles Russel, The founder of your religion was very pagan. as were all of the other early members of the Watchtower Society.

And they were wrong every time they predicted Armageddon and the End of Days, which was many times.

end-of-world-300x233.jpg

w68_1975.JPG

So you think you can trust a group that is so consistently wrong about it's own doctrines and prophesies in the past? They have a horrible record. False prophets are not to be followed but to be put to death.
                          Last edited by Sparko; 12-20-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            So you think you can trust a group that is so consistently wrong about it's own doctrines and prophesies in the past? They have a horrible record. False prophets are not to be followed but to be put to death.
                            I've never really thought about it before, but I wonder if Russell was influenced at all by Joseph Smith, and decided to start his own little pack.

According to Wiki:
                            Jehovah's Witnesses had its origins in the Bible Student movement, which developed in the United States in the 1870s among followers of Christian Restorationist minister Charles Taze Russell.

That "Christian Restorationist" would define who Joseph Smith thought he was.

(Interestingly enough, I found a site pretty quickly that attempts to establish a close relation between Smith and Russell - but it seems to be one of those illuminati conspiracy sites, so I'll keep looking)

Comment

The Early Church by Henry Chadwick p.126-7
                              "Clement of Alexander (c. A.D. 200) speaks of Christ driving his chariot across the sky like the Sun-god. A tomb mosaic recently found at Rome, probably made in the fourth century, depicts Christ as the Sun-god mounting the heavens with his chariot. Tertullian says that many pagans imagined the Christians worshipped the sun because the met on Sundays and prayed towards the East. Moreover, early in the fourth century there begins in the West (where first and by whom is not known) the celebration of 25th December, the birthday of the Sun-god at the winter solstice, as the date the nativity of Christ. How easy it was for Christianity and solar religion to become entangled at the popular level is strikingly illustrated by the mid-fifth century sermon of Pope Leo the Great, rebuking his over-cautious flock for paying reverence to the Sun on the steps of St Peter's before turning their back on it to worship inside the westward-facing basilica."

BU
                              Chadwick appears to have been underinformed, because there is evidence that Christmas was celebrated before the fourth century in the West (if you'd bothered reading the thread, you'd know that). Given your blunder at the beginning of the quote ("Clement of Alexander"), it is obvious that you're uncritically copying it from somewhere else.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                I've never really thought about it before, but I wonder if Russell was influenced at all by Joseph Smith, and decided to start his own little pack.

According to Wiki:
                                Jehovah's Witnesses had its origins in the Bible Student movement, which developed in the United States in the 1870s among followers of Christian Restorationist minister Charles Taze Russell.

That "Christian Restorationist" would define who Joseph Smith thought he was.

(Interestingly enough, I found a site pretty quickly that attempts to establish a close relation between Smith and Russell - but it seems to be one of those illuminati conspiracy sites, so I'll keep looking)
                                IIRC the Campbellites were, like Smith, a product of the "Second Great Awakening".
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X