Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What biblical passage do you find most problematic for your view on election?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find the subject especially difficult because I can find 10 good passages for either position. Kingsgambit: What are you an Arminian? Just curious!

Comment

Over time, I've discovered texts such as John 3:16, 2 Corinthians 5:14-21 and 1 John 2:2 to be extremely problematic to the Arminian system of thought. In fact, it's texts like these that have influenced (or rather caused) me to embrace Calvinism. You may call me The Contra-Remonstrant from this point forward.
      Last edited by The Remonstrant; 02-06-2014, 02:39 AM.
      For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
        I've come to find texts like John 3:16, 2 Corinthians 5:14-21 and 1 John 2:2 extremely problematic to the Arminian system of thought. In fact, it's texts like these that have influenced (or rather caused) me to embrace Calvinism. You may call me The Contra-Remonstrant from this point forward.
        Could you please explain how? I'm rather undogmatic on the whole Calvinism vs Arminian debate.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
          Over time, I've discovered texts such as John 3:16, 2 Corinthians 5:14-21 and 1 John 2:2 to be extremely problematic to the Arminian system of thought. In fact, it's texts like these that have influenced (or rather caused) me to embrace Calvinism. You may call me The Contra-Remonstrant from this point forward.
          Wait, is that sarcasm?
          The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Could you please explain how? I'm rather undogmatic on the whole Calvinism vs Arminian debate.
            Facetiousness.
            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I'm always curious what people view as the strongest arguments for the other side. For example, as an Arminian, I find 1 John 2:19 to be the most difficult verse to contend with, and to be honest, I've never seen an Arminian explanation of it that I find truly satisfying. I.H. Marshall doesn't mention it in his classic defense of conditional security, Kept By The Power of God, and in his commentary on the Epistles of John, he doesn't attempt to "explain it away" at all.
              In the first place, I do not see how 1 John 2:19 has anything to do with election, since for me in the larger context it deals with the perseverance of the saints, as made clear in verse 24:

"24 As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father."

Of course, the only people who might regard 1 John 2:19 as teaching election are Calvinists.
              http://faithcontenders.com/2010/1jo2-19-us/
              The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

Dante:

I agree. I've taken a similar approach myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
                  Of course, the only people who might regard 1 John 2:19 as teaching election are Calvinists.
                  I don't see it as teaching election explicitly, but I can see the challenge its logic poses for those who would deny eternal security. Many Arminians are "one point Calvinists" in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNoviceCometh View Post
                    I find the subject especially difficult because I can find 10 good passages for either position. Kingsgambit: What are you an Arminian? Just curious!
                    I'm an Arminian, though I suspect the full mechanism of how it's set up is more complicated than any of us can know.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                      Welcome back! I agree that context solves a lot of these apparent proof-textual problems. As to the latter, I don't see the Church spending a lot of time arguing about Calvinism. Most Arminians in my community have never actually talked about Calvinism to a Calvinist, and their view is simply a thirdhand caricature. But yes, on fora such as this board, I do think it's a good idea not to continually debate the same questions with the same people once it's been established that neither person is convinced by the other.
                      Thanks! I don't know how much I will be on here...

maybe I just see more people arguing about it and dividing than necessary. Personally, I try to never make a point of it when teaching. If my point in teaching a passage is to teach people about calvinism or arminianism, and not Jesus...then I think I would be treading on dangerous ground...but perhaps that is just my thinking.

Blessing RB!

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
                        Thanks! I don't know how much I will be on here...

maybe I just see more people arguing about it and dividing than necessary. Personally, I try to never make a point of it when teaching. If my point in teaching a passage is to teach people about calvinism or arminianism, and not Jesus...then I think I would be treading on dangerous ground...but perhaps that is just my thinking.

Blessing RB!
                        I think this is a good approach. I'm not a Calvinist, and I have multiple significant issues with it, but I also have good friends and family members who are Calvinists. We get along marvelously in spite of that. It doesn't have to, and shouldn't, be the bone of contention that it is between Christians. In Christ, we have far more in common than not.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                          I don't see it as teaching election explicitly, but I can see the challenge its logic poses for those who would deny eternal security. Many Arminians are "one point Calvinists" in this respect.
                          Actually, Classical Arminians would have been regarded as "two point Calvinists" since Arminius himself stressed total depravity and the perseverance of the saints. I think this illustrates the problem with most Calvinists in that they do not actually understand Arminianism apart from Calvinist caricatures.

Comment

I am not Armenian but my father was a wandering Aramean.
                            אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I find the term "election" problematic. Why does God use the term? It seems to just make for a big fight. Some are happy to find out God elected them. Others are mad that He didn't elect everyone. Some think they elected themselves. People like to debate about it and make others feel stupid for thinking God would elect someone. Stuff like that is problematic to me.

Aside from that, even if I were to mention a verse that seems problematic to my view, I would just hide out in Romans 9 all day in order to deal with the apparent problem. And that is probably problematic to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBahnsen View Post
                                I find the term "election" problematic. Why does God use the term? It seems to just make for a big fight. Some are happy to find out God elected them. Others are mad that He didn't elect everyone. Some think they elected themselves. People like to debate about it and make others feel stupid for thinking God would elect someone. Stuff like that is problematic to me.

Aside from that, even if I were to mention a verse that seems problematic to my view, I would just hide out in Romans 9 all day in order to deal with the apparent problem. And that is probably problematic to someone else.
                                God used the term because that's the way God works. The only difference is what kind of election did God use, whether it is individual or corporate, conditional or unconditional, that we are working out from the Bible. The only people who should feel stupid are those who insist that God does not elect anyone, since the Bible makes it clear that God does elect people.

And of course, those who believe that God elects individuals would have a different interpretation of Romans 9 than those who believe God elects corporately.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X