Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Split-off thread: Bible translations for study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I read The Message occasionally just for "reading" - not for study. But, yeah, I don't put much stock in it at all.
    This would be a good point at which to mention the difference between a TRANSLATION and a PARAPHRASE - The Message at one time claimed to be a "translation from the original languages...", but.... [bolding mine]

Source: TheBibleResearcher.com

Eugene H. Peterson, The Message: The New Testament in Contemporary English. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 1993.
    Eugene H. Peterson, The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2002.

The publisher of this version (NavPress) informs us that Eugene Peterson started out to become a scholar, but after earning a master's degree in Hebrew he changed his plans and entered the ministry, as a pastor in the Presbyterian Church (USA). There he served for some years before he retired to write. Peterson says that he began to create this version during a series of lessons on Paul's Epistle to the Galatians. He observed that his congregation was bored with the Biblical text as they knew it, and so, in order to stimulate them, he wrote a paraphrase of the Epistle, in which he tried to make it extraordinarily vivid and interesting to them. Later, he published this paraphrase as part of a devotional book, and it was noticed by an editor at NavPress. This editor persuaded Peterson to put the entire New Testament in the same kind of language. (1)

Peterson did most of the work on the New Testament during 1991, at which time he was "writer in residence" at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. The New Testament was published in 1993, and became a best-seller. Peterson was persuaded to do the Old Testament, and, over a nine year period, he gradually completed the entire Bible. A volume containing The Old Testament Wisdom Books was published in 1998, followed by The Old Testament Prophets in 2000, the Pentateuch in 2001, the Books of History in 2002, and an edition of the complete Bible in 2002.

In evaluating this version, the author's purpose and audience must be kept in mind. Unfortunately, the publisher has advertised it as a "translation from the original languages" that "accurately communicates the original Hebrew and Greek" and brings out "the subtleties and nuances of the Hebrew and Greek languages," being the work of a respected "exegetical scholar," etc., all of which gives an entirely false impression of the work. Instead, what we have here is a free paraphrase of the text, often very eccentric, with many unlikely renderings, lengthy insertions and omissions, and other problems; but to criticize this work for its many inaccuracies would be to miss the whole purpose of its author. Peterson's purpose in this is to present something new and provocative at every turn, something vivid and unusual, in order to stir up the dull minds of people who have become bored with their familiar Bibles.

His method is comparable to that of a preacher in the pulpit, who dwells on one thing for a while and then rushes over another, alternatingly serious and jocular, doing whatever he can to maintain the attention of his audience. The version incorporates a number of interesting but peculiar interpretations that can only be described as homiletic:

© Copyright Original Source

When I was a teenager, I read The Living Bible a lot, but my pastor was very clear to stress that it's "Just a Paraphrase".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      I'm going to disagree with CP on this a little bit...(I have a GREAT deal of respect for CP, and we are friends on and off the site)

But HCSB IMO is less literal than either NASB or ESV...and I think that's backed up by scholarship. NASB is a pretty literal translation as is the ESV, but though I have both translations (as well as an NIV, an HCSB and a KJV) My favorite is the ESV. I think it reads as well as the HCSB or the NIV but leans a little more literal to the original text. I too grew up on and memorized a lot of KJV scripture, but it's proven to be a fairly flawed version given it's translation method as well as it's outdated language issues. The NASB was the first Bible I ever bought on my own, and I chose it because of it's scholastic chops (at the time), but I always found it's reading a bit stilted and awkward...that's my opinion. I second CP's advice on Blue Letter Bible and going back to the Greek and Hebrew. It's much easier now days than ever before... and Robercht and John Reese as well as others are a great asset. they have helped me several times immensely!
      I think the general consensus is that the NASB is a bit stilted and awkward - you're going to get that to some extent when literalness is emphasized. A literal translation can sometimes help identify links between passages that a more dynamic translation might obscure, however. I like the NET (been reading it since it was in draft form), but IMO it's a little too dynamic at times (I often prefer the more literal translation proffered in a footnote). I generally default to the NKJV (first bible I bought on my own; grew up with the KJV), but I like to check multiple translations (including a Jewish translation of the Tanakh and the LXX). The Wyclif Bible is a fun read.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        That is indeed a new one for me. Never heard of it.
        I saw it in a bookstore once. It cuts out large sections of the Bible. IIRC it changed Paul's epistles into short, one-page emails.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I tend to lean towards translations that have scholars from differing backgrounds contributing to it. I find that they make for more of a complete reading. But this is just a personal preference. So I do enjoy the NRSV a lot.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I saw it in a bookstore once. It cuts out large sections of the Bible. IIRC it changed Paul's epistles into short, one-page emails.
            That is just messed up. I wonder if I should take the time to track it down. Just for the train wreck aspect.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Here's a good source where you can see whole chapters "side by side" in different versions. Online Parallel Bible by Chapters.
              You can do that as well at Bible Gateway (by whatever passage you want - just look up the passage in the first translation, then click on the "add parallel" icon until you've added all the parallels you want).
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That is just messed up. I wonder if I should take the time to track it down. Just for the train wreck aspect.
                I'm wondering this too, but I'm afraid of what I might see....
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  You can do that as well at Bible Gateway (by whatever passage you want - just look up the passage in the first translation, then click on the "add parallel" icon until you've added all the parallels you want).
                  I think that's the one I intended - more user friendly.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's a good source where you can see whole chapters "side by side" in different versions. Online Parallel Bible by Chapters.
                    I use biblehub.com for verse to verse comparisons so it is nice to see a source that can do it by entire chapters

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

you can read it online at Biblegateway.com
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

you can read it online at Biblegateway.com
                        Really? I couldn't find it. I have to look harder I think. Thanks for letting me know .

Comment

Really? I couldn't find it. I have to look harder I think. Thanks for letting me know .
                          That's my bad...you're right, it's not there anymore...sorry about that.
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

That's my bad...you're right, it's not there anymore...sorry about that.
                            No worries. I will find it I am sure.

Comment

So as I was looking for a version for Word on the Street online, I had noticed that Crosswire has a Klingon language translation. I don't know why...

Comment

So as I was looking for a version for Word on the Street online, I had noticed that Crosswire has a Klingon language translation. I don't know why...
                                Klingons need Jesus?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X