Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is ordination of women to be Pastors [Overseer/Bishop] orthodox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paprika
    On the contrary: you quote sources uncritically which bear little relevance to the point being discussed.
    I understand the need to ignore the answer to your question. Maybe someone will take you by the hand and explain it to you in detail. I just can't do it.

Originally posted by Paprika
    Nonsense. Many sources you quote you do so without prior critical evaluation, making many points mere appeal to authorities, and often irrelevant ones at that. Then you whine and bluster when people point out this fact.
    Lol. That's okay Paprika. You don't really need to understand what you are reading. You keep being you, bro.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      I understand the need to ignore the answer to your question. Maybe someone will take you by the hand and explain it to you in detail. I just can't do it.
      Yes, it's been clear that you can't do any explanation on the subject in detail.

Lol. That's okay Paprika. You don't really need to understand what you are reading. You keep being you, bro.
      Your uncritical quoting necessitates that you don't actually bother to understand what you're reading. Projecting much?

Comment

Yes, it's been clear that you can't do any explanation on the subject in detail.
        Not really. I just don't get paid to teach kindergarten classes.

Your uncritical quoting necessitates that you don't actually bother to understand what you're reading. Projecting much?
        Ugh. You keep pulling me in. It's like a black hole of stupid. I gotta stop. This is getting way off-topic.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Not really. I just don't get paid to teach kindergarten classes.
          Given your performance here I doubt you can teach anything on this subject competently.

Ugh. You keep pulling me in. It's like a black hole of stupid. I gotta stop. This is getting way off-topic.

So it's my fault that you can't help yourself?

Comment

Given your performance here I doubt you can teach anything on this subject competently.
            Certainly nothing you would ever be able to understand. We would have to first work on your comprehension and how to apply evidence.

So it's my fault that you can't help yourself?
            Yes. Now don't you feel bad about it? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Comment

Certainly nothing you would ever be able to understand. We would have to first work on your comprehension and how to apply evidence.
              I need to modify my earlier statement: no one should learn anything about good argumentation from you, but to learn how to find authorities to either make irrelevant points or merely assert what is debated? You won't be half bad at that.

Yes. Now don't you feel bad about it? You should be ashamed of yourself.
              You remind me of CP: "I shouldn't be here arguing with you!" and yet he continued.

Comment

I need to modify my earlier statement: no one should learn anything about good argumentation from you, but to learn how to find authorities to either make irrelevant points or merely assert what is debated? You won't be half bad at that.
                This is where understanding what you are reading comes in handy. Also, How dare you sir!

You remind me of CP: "I shouldn't be here arguing with you!" and yet he continued.
                Lol. I can't really blame him though. It is like a gravitational force. But I really should stop and get to bed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  and

Jesse - trying to have a discussion with the Papster is like trying to talk some sense into Mickiel. You're better off just letting him blog.
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-28-2015, 08:14 AM.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I don't normally side with Paprika, but this has been an entertaining read. Really, Jesse, if you're going to have the debate, then jump in and have the debate. He's missing the point you're trying to make, and you've gone most of the way towards explaining it, but you won't bridge the gap? I don't understand why this has devolved into such a mud-slinging contest between you two.

It was a nice thread up until a few pages ago, and now there's so much fecal matter in here I'm beginning to wonder why I haven't let yet.
                    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                      I don't normally side with Paprika, but this has been an entertaining read. Really, Jesse, if you're going to have the debate, then jump in and have the debate. He's missing the point you're trying to make, and you've gone most of the way towards explaining it, but you won't bridge the gap? I don't understand why this has devolved into such a mud-slinging contest between you two.

It was a nice thread up until a few pages ago, and now there's so much fecal matter in here I'm beginning to wonder why I haven't let yet.
                      I guess I don't understand where you are going with this? Not real sure what this gap is I am suppose to be bridging or how you think I haven't been debating.

I don't see the jabs Paprika and I were giving each other as being that much of a big deal. We are not tearing each others throats out. Just a bit of harmless tweaking. I guess I just don't see the problem.

Comment

So...here you say you're ignoring the answer to the question he has asked. You seem to know the answer, but won't tell him.

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                        I guess I don't understand where you are going with this? Not real sure what this gap is I am suppose to be bridging or how you think I haven't been debating.

I don't see the jabs Paprika and I were giving each other as being that much of a big deal. We are not tearing each others throats out. Just a bit of harmless tweaking. I guess I just don't see the problem.
                        Now you say you don't know what "gap" you're supposed to be bridging for him (a.k.a which question of his to answer). Are you pretending to be obtuse, or do you really not know what he's talking about? Maybe I've misread this whole conversation, I dunno.
                        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by myth
                          So...here you say you're ignoring the answer to the question he has asked. You seem to know the answer, but won't tell him.
                          Huh? I said that I understood the reason for him ignoring the answer to his question.

Originally posted by myth
                          Now you say you don't know what "gap" you're supposed to be bridging for him (a.k.a which question of his to answer). Are you pretending to be obtuse, or do you really not know what he's talking about? Maybe I've misread this whole conversation, I dunno.
                          I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

Huh? I said that I understood the reason for him ignoring the answer to his question.

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
                            Never mind, then.

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                              Really, Jesse, if you're going to have the debate, then jump in and have the debate. He's missing the point you're trying to make, and you've gone most of the way towards explaining it, but you won't bridge the gap?
                              Perhaps his point is a mere mirage, which is why he avoids close scrutiny of it by making quotations which merely affirm the view instead of proving it.

The rhetoric isn't a big deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                and
                                Looks like someone's memory needs refreshing.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X