Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Simplicity of the Gospel in One Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Side question: What are you meaning by 'essential'? Something necessary to know for salvation or something necessary to the doctrine?
    The latter.

Comment

Okay, thanks.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Okay, thanks.
        I would like to correct myself and be more precise: the gospel isn't doctrine per se. It's news. Before anyone thought of "Christian doctrine" it already was.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          I would like to correct myself and be more precise: the gospel isn't doctrine per se. It's news. Before anyone thought of "Christian doctrine" it already was.
          Doctrine is just "teaching," conveying information about the truth. The news of the "gospel" is truth and thus is doctrine.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
            Doctrine is just "teaching," conveying information about the truth. The news of the "gospel" is truth and thus is doctrine.

"Doctrine" and "Christian doctrine" carry certain connotations. We don't use "doctrine" to describe teaching about mathematical truths or historical truths in general, for example.

I don't think the euangelion, as preached by John the Baptist, Jesus, and Jesus' earliest followers - the preaching of which is recorded in the various texts of the New Testament - share all those connotations, which is why I think "doctrine" is not a very appropriate word.
            Last edited by Paprika; 05-13-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Er, you lost me...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Er, you lost me...
                Argh. Let me try again. I don't see the gospel as doctrine, just as Jesus isn't doctrine. There is doctrine about the gospel, just as there is doctrine about Jesus. Just as Jesus isn't merely or necessarily what some teach about him through some doctrines, so the gospel.
                Last edited by Paprika; 05-13-2014, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I want to apologize for not replying to anyone yet, IRL has gotten in the way for the time being, I should have a response post to anyone who spoke to me either tonight or tomorrow.
                  Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

"Doctrine" and "Christian doctrine" carry certain connotations. We don't use "doctrine" to describe teaching about mathematical truths or historical truths in general, for example. I don't think the euangelion, as preached by John the Baptist, Jesus, and Jesus' earliest followers - the preaching of which is recorded in the various texts of the New Testament - share all those connotations, which is why I think "doctrine" is not a very appropriate word.
                    I can't think of any connotations of "doctrine" that I wouldn't want "gospel" to have. Which ones were you thinking of? Even if we restrict "doctrine" from all teachings to theological teachings, gospel (teachings about the saving work of Jesus) would still qualify in my book. Maybe we have different definitions of "gospel" also?

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                      Even if we restrict "doctrine" from all teachings to theological teachings, gospel (teachings about the saving work of Jesus) would still qualify in my book. Maybe we have different definitions of "gospel" also?
                      Indeed. I see gospel as the good news preached by John the Baptist and Jesus, and then later by his early followers. One main difference between the two is the shift in emphasis: for John and Jesus, the kingdom was at hand, with Jesus making little public predictions about his crucifixion and resurrection (with what little he does being cryptic), whereas for the early followers (ie in Acts, and the Pauline epistles) the kingdom is not often explictly mentioned, but the crucifixion and resurrection attain central significance.

One of my main concerns is to carefully distinguish between the various contemporary usage of 'gospel' and the euangelion of Jesus et al., such as to prevent any equivocation and anachonistic projection onto the Scriptural texts of our own conceptions. With respect to my discussion with dacristoy, some contemporary retellings of the story of Jesus, (which the tellers call "gospels"), have the virgin birth as essential to the story, but of course it isn't essential to the original euangelion, as revealed by the utter lack of any birth narratives in Mark's or John's narratives.

I can't think of any connotations of "doctrine" that I wouldn't want "gospel" to have. Which ones were you thinking of?
                      I see "doctrine" as something's that's normative, generally propulgated amongst the in-group and "religious" in nature. Whereas the euangelion is a public proclamation mostly for (though not limited to) people outside the group, and doesn't and shouldn't be divided by the Enlightenment "politics"/"religion" divide.
                      Last edited by Paprika; 05-14-2014, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Look: you have offered no reason why the birth of Christ is essential to the gospel. Evading this by claiming your opponent is blind doesn't cut it.
                        Would we have the same Gospel without the virgin birth of Christ. Would we have the same "Emanuel" without the virgin birth as we have with it.

Comment

........., such as to prevent any equivocation and anachonistic projection onto the Scriptural texts of our own conceptions. ........
                          Paprika, though you have spoken well, and perhaps, intended soundly, but you are merely ushering to give excuses of your own interpretations and own conceptions. It is a devilish approach that will gradually , and sooner, ignore the fact that only those who are sent will be able to unveil the mysteries of God. While endeavouring to fulfill what you said above, you will set guidelines as to which can be considered scriptural; so do not consider that your actions will not be a small matter. Even of your redefinition of gospel will have an impact of what the readers will consider as gospel; and for which I would like the readers to be cautious and remember Paul's epistle saying:

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. Gal 1:8-9

Dear readers, don't be too naive.....
                          ...WISDOM giveth life to them that have it. (Ecclesiastes 7:12)
                          ...the ISLES shall wait for his law (Isaiah 42:4)
                          https://philippinesinprophecies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dacristoy View Post
                            Would we have the same Gospel without the virgin birth of Christ. Would we have the same "Emanuel" without the virgin birth as we have with it.
                            What point are you trying to make?

Comment

Originally posted by FarEastBird View Post
                              Paprika, though you have spoken well, and perhaps, intended soundly, but you are merely ushering to give excuses of your own interpretations and own conceptions. It is a devilish approach that will gradually , and sooner, ignore the fact that only those who are sent will be able to unveil the mysteries of God. While endeavouring to fulfill what you said above, you will set guidelines as to which can be considered scriptural; so do not consider that your actions will not be a small matter. Even of your redefinition of gospel will have an impact of what the readers will consider as gospel; and for which I would like the readers to be cautious and remember Paul's epistle saying:

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. Gal 1:8-9

Dear readers, don't be too naive.....

Of course the interpretation and conceptions I propound are mine, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're false or inaccurate.

Comment

Of course the interpretation and conceptions I propound are mine, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're false or inaccurate.
                                You are well aware that every Cult leaders, as well as others who delved to understand the Bible, will say and claim the same thing you said. But when faced with the existence of diversity of these interpretations and conceptions, would obviously mean that some, or possibly even all, are lying. Are you sure nobody is objecting of your interpretations and conceptions?
                                ...WISDOM giveth life to them that have it. (Ecclesiastes 7:12)
                                ...the ISLES shall wait for his law (Isaiah 42:4)
                                https://philippinesinprophecies.wordpress.com/

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X