Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Problems with Penal Substitution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    How is Christ's death on the cross justice if not substitutionary?

". . . All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. . . ." -- Isaiah 53:6.

". . . the soul that sinneth, it shall die." -- Ezekiel 18:4.

". . . For the wages of sin [is] death; . . ." -- Romans 6:23

". . . But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. . . ." -- Romans 5:8

". . . For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: . . ." -- 2 Corinthians 5:14.
    An act of love of the Son towards the Father on behalf of humanity.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMartin View Post
      An act of love of the Son towards the Father on behalf of humanity.

JM
      How does love satisfy a penalty of death? Except one out of love dies for another which would be a penal substitutionary death. Which you seemed to have claimed is not true.

". . . For the wages of sin is death; . . ." -- Romans 6:23.

". . . God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. . . ." -- Romans 5:8.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818
        How does love satisfy a penalty of death?
        Works-salvationists do not understand justice.

Comment

How does love satisfy a penalty of death? Except one out of love dies for another which would be a penal substitutionary death. Which you seemed to have claimed is not true.

". . . For the wages of sin is death; . . ." -- Romans 6:23.

". . . God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. . . ." -- Romans 5:8.
          If Jesus was a substitute by suffering and death, then suffering and death would no longer exist. As suffering and death do exist, then Jesus suffered and died for another reason. That reason was to merit grace for sinners.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
            Works-salvationists do not understand justice.
            Faith is a human work. 1 Thess 1:3 - remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Faith alone theology does not do justice to Jesus work.

JM

Comment

Faith is a human work. 1 Thess 1:3 - remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Faith alone theology does not do justice to Jesus work.

JM
              A denial of faith alone by God's grace alone through Christ alone is a denial of the docrine of Christ (John 3:3, 18-21; 1 John 5:1; 2 John 9.)
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

If Jesus was a substitute by suffering and death, then suffering and death would no longer exist. As suffering and death do exist, then Jesus suffered and died for another reason. That reason was to merit grace for sinners.

JM
                The fact that death and suffering is yet in the world shows your view against substitutionary death and suffering of God'a Christ is false. And it, the shed blood for the payment of sin was completed before Christ's physcial death on the cross (John 19:28-30).

Comment

A denial of faith alone by God's grace alone through Christ alone is a denial of the docrine of Christ (John 3:3, 18-21; 1 John 5:1; 2 John 9.)
                  The phrase,"faith alone" is only found in James 2:24 where faith alone is denied. The phrases of "God's grace alone" and "Christ alone" do not exist in the NT. The entire Lutheran show is his own fabrication.

JM

Comment

The fact that death and suffering is yet in the world shows your view against substitutionary death and suffering of God'a Christ is false. And it, the shed blood for the payment of sin was completed before Christ's physcial death on the cross (John 19:28-30).
                    If Christ was a substitute for us sinners, then there would be no death in this life. Why? Christ has already taken the punishment for sin. So for men to continue to die after the cross, means God is then punishing both Jesus and men for sin. So God requires either 1) a double punishment for sin, or 2) Christs work has not been applied to anyone, for all men die. Point 2 eliminates the doctrine of limited atonement and makes Christs atonement superfluous.

Penal substitution is fatally flawed in many ways.

JM

Comment

The phrase,"faith alone" is only found in James 2:24 where faith alone is denied. The phrases of "God's grace alone" and "Christ alone" do not exist in the NT. The entire Lutheran show is his own fabrication.

JM
                      You cited 1 Thessalonians 1;3 claiming faith is a work. The text does not say that.

The holy scripture no where teaches anyone is saved by or through there works. Works and grace are opposites. Salvation is a matter of God's grace through faith - not of works (Ephesians 2:8-9). One is justifined by works only after one is justified through faith without the works (Romans 4:5 - James 2;23; Genesis 22; - Ephesians 2:10).

Comment

You cited 1 Thessalonians 1;3 claiming faith is a work. The text does not say that.

The holy scripture no where teaches anyone is saved by or through there works. Works and grace are opposites. Salvation is a matter of God's grace through faith - not of works (Ephesians 2:8-9). One is justifined by works only after one is justified through faith without the works (Romans 4:5 - James 2;23; Genesis 22; - Ephesians 2:10).
                        Thats only what you think because you hold to a tradition from your local denomination.

JM

Comment

The Hell of the damned is for those who have not repented in this life and cannot repent in the next life. The hell of the damned is for those who are damned forever. Christ has no reason to preach to the damned, for they have no benefit from the cross. As Christ never does anything that is superfluous, then Christ did not go into the hell of the damned.
                          The damned are not damned forever until the final judgment. I think the odds are pretty low for those who have not repented in this life, but I put nothing past the mercy of God. Monks pray for the salvation of the whole world. Wretch that I am, I pray for some who I'm pretty sure died unrepentant. I love them regardless, so I pray for them regardless.
                          Calvin taught Christ suffered in the hell of the damned as part of his novel view of redemption. The entire Calvinist theology, based upon double predestination, no free will, irresistible grace, no need for the seven sacraments and so on, is merely Calvin's theological fantasy. Calvin's humanity, as depraved and without free will is false and consequently Calvin's Christ, who saves only some of the depraved through a legal imputation, is also false. Calvin's Christ with His act of limited atonement is false, and consequently Calvin's humanity, with the inability to do any good, and which participates in only a small number of elect, is also false.

The entire Calvinist TULIP theology is false.

JM
                          I don't care what Calvin taught.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Incidentally, I have been exploring the Christus victor model recently; does anybody here hold to it?
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Incidentally, I have been exploring the Christus victor model recently; does anybody here hold to it?
                              It's the traditional EO model. I really need to get around to reading up on it. Maybe I'll dig a book on that out and read it next; it can't be any tougher reading than what I'm finishing up (Maximus the Confessor).
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Thats only what you think because you hold to a tradition from your local denomination.

JM
                                The apostolic authority of the holy scriptures stand against your arguments. They are the genuine basis of the Christian faith.

To genuine Christians it says,
                                ". . . For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, . . ." -- Ephesians 2:8-9.

The saved by God's grace go to be with Christ upon death (2 Corinthians 5:8). And know they currently possess eternal life (1 John 5:12-13). And they have the promise that their names will not in any way be blotted out from the book of life (1 John 5:4-5; Revelation 3:5; Revelation 21:7).
                                Last edited by 37818; 06-27-2016, 09:24 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X