Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did Jesus have sexual desires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    A lot of his comments are very familiar. Darfius, did you discuss this topic about Jesus before?
    Nope

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
      Testosterone gives you body hair and helps develop your sexual organs, but it doesn't cause you to want to have sex. You are wrong.
      How old are you?

Anyways, a deficit of certain hormones can cause a lack of sexual desire. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695750/

low testosterone has been shown affect to desire. Normal physiological testosterone concentrations range from 3 to 12ng/mL. The apparent critical level for sexual function in males is 3ng/mL source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695750/
      Last edited by Christianbookworm; 05-14-2016, 06:25 AM.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

You didn't answer my question, you sanctimonious fool. What is the difference between "having an erection for a woman" and lusting after her? I can't believe you can picture Christ Edited by a Moderator. You are really lost. And no, that is most certainly NOT how God made it nor will that be how it is when we are "like the angels" and neither marry nor are given in marriage. You seem to think that Christ was fallen as we are. He wasn't.
        There is SO much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to start.
        Last edited by Bill the Cat; 05-15-2016, 07:01 PM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          There is SO much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to start.
          Did he claim that God didn't create sexual reproduction??? And how in fudge brownie does a physiological desire that is never acted on or even progresses past a basic NONSINFUL desire make Jesus as fallen as us? Does not having sexuual desires somehow make me a better person???
          Last edited by Christianbookworm; 05-14-2016, 07:44 AM.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Nope
            Hrm. I'm certainly experiencing deja vu. We had that part of the discussion, word for word, with someone.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

You didn't answer my question, you sanctimonious fool. What is the difference between "having an erection for a woman" and lusting after her? I can't believe you can picture Christ Edited by a Moderator. You are really lost. And no, that is most certainly NOT how God made it nor will that be how it is when we are "like the angels" and neither marry nor are given in marriage. You seem to think that Christ was fallen as we are. He wasn't.

George Macdonald, Unspoken Sermons:

And now arises the question upon the right answer to which depends the whole elucidation of the story: How could the Son of God be tempted?

If any one say that he was not moved by those temptations, he must be told that then they were no temptations to him, and he was not tempted; nor was his victory of more significance than that of the man who, tempted to bear false witness against his neighbour, abstains from robbing him of his goods. For human need, struggle, and hope, it bears no meaning; and we must reject the whole as a fantastic folly of crude invention; a mere stage-show; a lie for the poor sake of the fancied truth; a doing of evil that good might come; and, with how many fragments soever of truth its mud may be filled, not in any way to be received as a divine message.

But asserting that these were real temptations if the story is to be received at all, am I not involving myself in a greater difficulty still? For how could the Son of God be tempted with evil--with that which must to him appear in its true colours of discord, its true shapes of deformity? Or how could he then be the Son of his Father who cannot be tempted with evil?

In the answer to this lies the centre, the essential germ of the whole interpretation: He was not tempted with Evil but with Good; with inferior forms of good, that is, pressing in upon him, while the higher forms of good held themselves aloof, biding their time, that is, God's time. I do not believe that the Son of God could be tempted with evil, but I do believe that he could be tempted with good--to yield to which temptation would have been evil in him--ruin to the universe. But does not all evil come from good?

Yes; but it has come from it. It is no longer good. A good corrupted is no longer a good. Such could not tempt our Lord. Revenge may originate in a sense of justice, but it is revenge not justice; an evil thing, for it would be fearfully unjust. Evil is evil whatever it may have come from. The Lord could not have felt tempted to take vengeance upon his enemies, but he might have felt tempted to destroy the wicked from the face of the earth--to destroy them from the face of the earth, I say, not to destroy them for ever. To that I do not think he could have felt tempted.

the problem at it's root is that you think having sexual desire is evil in itself. It is NOT. God gave us sexual desires and it is GOOD. misusing that desire to lust after another, or to actually act on that desire with someone you are not married to is sinful. The bible makes that clear. but say you are married. having those same sexual desires for your spouse and ACTING on them is not a sin. So the desire is not sinful, but actions arising from those desires CAN be in certain circumstances.

sexual desire at it's basic is an attraction to another person of the opposite sex, which drives a person to seek out a relationship with someone of the opposite sex. it is a basic drive built into human beings unless there is something wrong with them, like having hormone deficiency. Another word for sexual desire is Libido. it is completely natural and good. God designed us that way.

Lust is a misuse of that desire to have unbridled fantasies about another. it is a matter of degree. it like the difference between hunger and craving. rather than having a healthy attraction to someone, you covet them.

Jesus could have natural sexual desires and temptations and not lust after a woman or even act on the normal desires.

you are turning Jesus into someone who is not even human. It is as bad as what was mentioned earlier about muslims claiming if Jesus had bowel movements he could not be God. well guess what? Jesus was fully human. He had all the emotions we have and all of the natural functions we have. He pooped and wiped his butt. He peed. He got hungry. He got sad. He got mad. He had sexual desires.
              Last edited by Bill the Cat; 05-15-2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Testosterone gives you body hair and helps develop your sexual organs, but it doesn't cause you to want to have sex. You are wrong.
                there you are wrong. as a man gets older he loses his libido as his testosterone drops. that is why doctors do testosterone replacement therapy.
                Last edited by Sparko; 05-14-2016, 09:53 AM.

Comment

fyi

---

Libido (/lᵻˈbiːdoʊ/), colloquially known as sex drive, is a person's overall sexual drive or desire for sexual activity. Sex drive is influenced by biological, psychological and social factors. Biologically, the sex hormones and associated neurotransmitters that act upon the nucleus accumbens (primarily testosterone and dopamine, respectively) regulate libido in men and women.[1] Social factors, such as work and family, and internal psychological factors, like personality and stress, can affect libido. Sex drive can also be affected by medical conditions, medications, lifestyle and relationship issues, and age (e.g., puberty). A person who has extremely frequent or a suddenly increased sex drive may be experiencing hypersexuality.

A person may have a desire for sex, but not have the opportunity to act on that desire, or may on personal, moral or religious reasons refrain from acting on the urge. Psychologically, a person's urge can be repressed or sublimated. On the other hand, a person can engage in sexual activity without an actual desire for it. Multiple factors affect human sex drive, including stress, illness, pregnancy, and others.[2]

Sexual desires are often an important factor in the formation and maintenance of intimate relationships in both men and women. A lack or loss of sexual desire can adversely affect relationships. Changes in the sexual desires of either partner in a sexual relationship, if sustained and unresolved, may cause problems in the relationship. The infidelity of a partner may be an indication that a partner's changing sexual desires can no longer be satisfied within the current relationship. Problems can arise from disparity of sexual desires between partners, or poor communication between partners of sexual needs and preferences.[3]

A person is sex starved or sexually frustrated when they have a strong sexual appetite but is sexually frustrated because of a lack of outlet or companion to release their sexual tension.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libido

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

the problem at it's root is that you think having sexual desire is evil in itself. It is NOT. God gave us sexual desires and it is GOOD. misusing that desire to lust after another, or to actually act on that desire with someone you are not married to is sinful. The bible makes that clear. but say you are married. having those same sexual desires for your spouse and ACTING on them is not a sin. So the desire is not sinful, but actions arising from those desires CAN be in certain circumstances.

sexual desire at it's basic is an attraction to another person of the opposite sex, which drives a person to seek out a relationship with someone of the opposite sex. it is a basic drive built into human beings unless there is something wrong with them, like having hormone deficiency. Another word for sexual desire is Libido. it is completely natural and good. God designed us that way.

Lust is a misuse of that desire to have unbridled fantasies about another. it is a matter of degree. it like the difference between hunger and craving. rather than having a healthy attraction to someone, you covet them.

Jesus could have natural sexual desires and temptations and not lust after a woman or even act on the normal desires.

you are turning Jesus into someone who is not even human. It is as bad as what was mentioned earlier about muslims claiming if Jesus had bowel movements he could not be God. well guess what? Jesus was fully human. He had all the emotions we have and all of the natural functions we have. He pooped and wiped his butt. He peed. He got hungry. He got sad. He got mad. He had sexual desires.
                    It looks to me as though Darfius is flirting with heresy on this topic.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It is very possible that Jesus was a regular family man, had brothers and sisters and possibly was married.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        It is very possible that Jesus was a regular family man, had brothers and sisters and possibly was married.
                        Yes, and the people who knew Him best just kinda sorta forgot to mention that, and His supposed wife was at the Mall the day Jesus was crucified.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

if he was married I see no problem with that either, but there is nothing to indicate that in the bible. My personal thoughts are that he remained unmarried to better fulfill his mission without distraction and knowing his death was coming he would not want to leave a grieving widow.

the bible does mention his brothers and sisters and the James who wrote the book of James is thought to be his brother.

Comment

Jude too.
                            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              if he was married I see no problem with that either, but there is nothing to indicate that in the bible. My personal thoughts are that he remained unmarried to better fulfill his mission without distraction and knowing his death was coming he would not want to leave a grieving widow.

the bible does mention his brothers and sisters and the James who wrote the book of James is thought to be his brother.

I consider it possible Jesus was married, and it is accepted that Jesus's death would leave grieving relatives and followers regardless.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-14-2016, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I consider it possible Jesus was married, and it is accepted that Jesus's death would leave grieving relatives and followers regardless.
                                well his family and friends would have seen him resurrect and would not grieve as much as a wife who now had to live as a widow without her husband for the rest of her life. also what happens to her when she is resurrected in heaven? does she become the queen to God? is she kicked back into the general population? being married would cause all sorts of problems, so I think he remained single.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X