Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does preterism lead to atheism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    No. You're cherry-picking a single phrase and basing your whole interpretation off of it.

Again, no. There were times that people were using calendars to figure out the season, but that really didn't become popular until a couple centuries ago. It would help if you became more informed before ignorantly opening your mouth.
    Saying I was cherry-picking without pointing out where I was cherry-picking is just a cheap hand-wave because you have no argument. And I didn't just say they were using calendars only, so stop cherry-picking my posts. It would help if you had an actual counter argument before opening your mouth.

Comment

• Jesus' 1st coming was predicted to the very day by Daniel, but He doesn't even want us spitballing about His 2nd coming. Makes sense. I guess as long as it's just Christians in Africa, Asia and the Middle East being murdered for their faith, it doesn't really matter when He comes back. They're just second class Christians anyway. God bless America.

Comment

• Of course it's horrible that people are murdering Christians. And someday justice will be done. I don't see what human rights violations have to do with eschatology. The first few centuries of Church history had horrible persecutions also. Has there been any century where Christians weren't martyred somewhere for their faith?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Preterists maintain that Satan is bound and the world is getting better as it is being conquered for Christ. Futurists maintain that Satan is not yet bound and the world will get progressively worse until Christ comes physically to establish His kingdom on earth.

Who seems right to you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
            Preterists maintain that Satan is bound and the world is getting better as it is being conquered for Christ.
            Citation needed.
            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            I support the :
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
              Citation needed.
              I've actually heard both claims (that Satan is bound, and that things will get better till Christ's second coming) from preterists on this very website, though mostly pre-relaunch. I don't know if either of these claims are required beliefs for a partial preterist view (I suspect not).

Comment

• Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                Citation needed.
                This site gives a list of quotes of preterists that argue it.

http://www.preteristarchive.com/Stud...viization.html

I wish I had access to the old forum because this was a common argument used in my overly enthusiastic debates with the preterists on this board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  I've actually heard both claims (that Satan is bound, and that things will get better till Christ's second coming) from preterists on this very website, though mostly pre-relaunch. I don't know if either of these claims are required beliefs for a partial preterist view (I suspect not).
                  I remember the first, but not the second.
                  "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                  -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  I support the :
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
                    Preterists maintain that Satan is bound and the world is getting better as it is being conquered for Christ.
                    That sounds more like a post-millennial view, the belief that Christians will help usher in a millennium of peace before the Lord's return. What preterists hold that view?
                    When I Survey....

Comment

• Originally posted by Faber View Post
                      That sounds more like a post-millennial view, the belief that Christians will help usher in a millennium of peace before the Lord's return. What preterists hold that view?
                      IIRC several of the preterists here have said that we are in the millennium now. Darth Xena, and I think Apologia Phoenix have said this, but I'm not 100% certain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faber View Post
                        http://www.tektonics.org/esch/pretsum.php

"In contrast, the orthodox view only holds that Satan is bound from deceiving the nations, and the New Heavens and Earth are yet to come."

http://www.tektonics.org/esch/pretice.php

"...we affirm that Christ reigns as sovereign of the universe; that Satan is bound and defeated; that redemption has been effected."

http://www.tektonics.org/esch/wyngaar01.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          IIRC several of the preterists here have said that we are in the millennium now. Darth Xena, and I think Apologia Phoenix have said this, but I'm not 100% certain.
                          Being that I never met a preterist outside of Tweb and that all the preterists here I came into direct contact with held a post-mil belief (at least the more vocal ones), I took for granted that the two beliefs were synonymous.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            Saying I was cherry-picking without pointing out where I was cherry-picking is just a cheap hand-wave because you have no argument. And I didn't just say they were using calendars only, so stop cherry-picking my posts. It would help if you had an actual counter argument before opening your mouth.
                            You're cherry-picking by interpreting everything by what you keep propounding here, that "He said that we would know the season." One would think that's obvious, but I keep forgetting it's you I'm talking with. Yes, you mentioned date-setting and numerology, but those are used in conjunction with calendars. As I said, that happened relatively rarely in church history until 19th century America. Conversely, seeing signs of the end has been around pretty much throughout church history. Why don't you try learning a little of that sometime? Do you have a better argument than aping the style of my post?
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              The idea that Satan is bound comes from passages like Matt. 12:29; that things will get better till Christ's second coming is an idea held by post-millennialists. Neither idea necessitates a belief in preterism. AFAIK, most or all preterists believe that Satan is bound, at least limiting his influence on the world. Preterists are generally post-millennialists or amillennialists (I hold to the latter), but not all post/a-mills are preterists.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                The idea that Satan is bound comes from passages like Matt. 12:29; that things will get better till Christ's second coming is an idea held by post-millennialists. Neither idea necessitates a belief in preterism. AFAIK, most or all preterists believe that Satan is bound, at least limiting his influence on the world. Preterists are generally post-millennialists or amillennialists (I hold to the latter), but not all post/a-mills are preterists.
                                Correct. Some folks, such as commentator George Eldon Ladd hold to a "combination" interpretation that is a blend of preterism and futurism and is a historic-premillenialist. At least that's what he wrote. I haven't read most of his commentary yet.

Comment