Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does preterism lead to atheism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
    As has already been explained, preterism doesn't necessitate that there won't be multiple fulfillments of prophecy, so there could theoretically be a tribulation even if preterism is true. But certain futurists that I've come in contact with don't question what they're taught.
    That makes absolutely no sense. The two are mutually exclusive. If you believe in an end time tribulation then you're a futurist. If you believe that "coming of the Lord" means the 70 CE war then you're a preterist. I do accept the possibility that some preterist interpretations of Daniel are accurate, as well as possible double or partial fulfillment of certain things but I'm still a futurist. And I've met Christians in general that don't question what they've been taught. Futurists don't have any sort of patent on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
      Those who fall for the Nero-as-Antichrist theories and the Jerusalem-is-the-whole-world theory and even the God already came in judgment theory of the 1990's, betray a lack of objectivity and a desire to accept whatever fantasy that lets them avoid suffering any tribulation whatsoever. The preterists I have come into contact with generally do not question what they are being taught.
      Until now.
      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        Until now.
        Darfius was only aping your post.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Darfius was only aping your post.
          Sorry.
          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            I suspect you are mistaken here. A lot of futurists are also compatibilists (sp) which would come off as sexist at times.

Personally, I'm a 'I'llfindoutwhenHegetshereist' - I don't think any major school of eschatology gets it perfect and I strongly suspect that's God's intention. What is perfectly plain to us in terms of the prophesies Jesus fulfilled were not so clear to the ancient Hebrews, hence so much confusion when Jesus did come and so many who didn't recognize Him for Who He is. This is why I am leery of any view of the Second Coming that gives it a definite date in relation to other events.
            I agree 100% with you. Don't know why some people jumped on me for thinking the same thing. If the whole world starts acting like North Korea, I'll keep my eyes open. I suppose Jesus has good reasons for not giving any blatant spoilers.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I think much of the foretelling prophecy are intended for rear view mirror viewing. Blinking obvious when it's been fulfilled but not at all easy looking forward into time. It both gives some insight into what God has in store and a signpost to show what He has done.

The only thing that we must be concerned about is making sure we are ready and doing His will when He does get back.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                I think much of the foretelling prophecy are intended for rear view mirror viewing. Blinking obvious when it's been fulfilled but not at all easy looking forward into time. It both gives some insight into what God has in store and a signpost to show what He has done.

The only thing that we must be concerned about is making sure we are ready and doing His will when He does get back.
                Which ignores all of Matthew 24 and the purpose of Matthew 24. Jesus seemed to think we would know the season based on the signs he gave. I guess you assume he was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  Which ignores all of Matthew 24 and the purpose of Matthew 24. Jesus seemed to think we would know the season based on the signs he gave. I guess you assume he was wrong.
                  It ignores nothing but your assumptions regarding Matthew 24, and your parting guess is nothing but a cheap shot. Jesus gave us signs that the end was approaching, but people have been interpreting their own times as the end pretty much throughout church history. He also said that no man would know the hour of His coming, which hasn't stopped countless people from asserting that very thing.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    It ignores nothing but your assumptions regarding Matthew 24, and your parting guess is nothing but a cheap shot. Jesus gave us signs that the end was approaching, but people have been interpreting their own times as the end pretty much throughout church history. He also said that no man would know the hour of His coming, which hasn't stopped countless people from asserting that very thing.
                    Your claim is an equal cheap shot against our Lord no less. He said that we would know the season, which you counter by claiming the church has been wrong throughout history, so essentially your argument is that Christ was wrong.

The reason the church has been wrong throughout history is because they were setting specific dates, using numerology or using some goofy calendar calculations to figure out the season. Christ didn't say to do this. He instructed us to observe specific signs -- i.e. wars and rumors wars, earthquakes, famines, disease, social upheaval, etc. Fortunately, for our generation, unlike previous generations we have technological means to observe these signs around the world in almost real-time.

Comment

• And those things have always occurred. Meaning Jesus could come back at any time. Or we could all die first. We don't know. Of course if every generation is expecting the return of Christ, one of them will eventually be right. Unless Jesus came back when Christians stop expecting Him, in which case...

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        And those things have always occurred. Meaning Jesus could come back at any time. Or we could all die first. We don't know. Of course if every generation is expecting the return of Christ, one of them will eventually be right. Unless Jesus came back when Christians stop expecting Him, in which case...
                        So, again your argument is that Jesus was wrong. Essentially your argument is that the signs have always been happening so he was wrong that a specific generation would know the season by observing these signs. You might want to carefully reevaluate what you're saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          So, again your argument is that Jesus was wrong. Essentially your argument is that the signs have always been happening so he was wrong that a specific generation would know the season by observing these signs. You might want to carefully reevaluate what you're saying.
                          Jesus is never wrong. We can be wrong at anytime. Maybe He wants us to always be prepared?

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            Jesus is never wrong. We can be wrong at anytime. Maybe He wants us to always be prepared?
                            Sure he wants us to be prepared, he made this clear with the parable of the Master and Servant and Ten Virgins which he gave subsequent to the specific signs. No one's disputing this.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              Your claim is an equal cheap shot against our Lord no less. He said that we would know the season, which you counter by claiming the church has been wrong throughout history, so essentially your argument is that Christ was wrong.
                              No. You're cherry-picking a single phrase and basing your whole interpretation off of it.
                              The reason the church has been wrong throughout history is because they were setting specific dates, using numerology or using some goofy calendar calculations to figure out the season. Christ didn't say to do this. He instructed us to observe specific signs -- i.e. wars and rumors wars, earthquakes, famines, disease, social upheaval, etc. Fortunately, for our generation, unlike previous generations we have technological means to observe these signs around the world in almost real-time.
                              Again, no. There were times that people were using calendars to figure out the season, but that really didn't become popular until a couple centuries ago. It would help if you became more informed before ignorantly opening your mouth.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                No. You're cherry-picking a single phrase and basing your whole interpretation off of it.

Again, no. There were times that people were using calendars to figure out the season, but that really didn't become popular until a couple centuries ago. It would help if you became more informed before ignorantly opening your mouth.
                                I'd like to know why he is accusing me of claiming that Jesus was wrong. I was focusing on our interpretations of what Jesus said. Considering that Jesus' first coming wasn't exactly what people expected, why should His second coming be any different?

Comment