Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does preterism lead to atheism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
    You're not included in that list. You're a pretty cool chap.

Although I have noticed that some fundamentalist Christians on TWeb (who are generally futurists) tend to be more sexist then those not in that camp. I'm not saying that all futurists are sexists, but I think they have a higher percentage of people who believe women to be lesser, probably because they are a bigger and more conservative then the other groups.
    I suspect you are mistaken here. A lot of futurists are also compatibilists (sp) which would come off as sexist at times.

Personally, I'm a 'I'llfindoutwhenHegetshereist' - I don't think any major school of eschatology gets it perfect and I strongly suspect that's God's intention. What is perfectly plain to us in terms of the prophesies Jesus fulfilled were not so clear to the ancient Hebrews, hence so much confusion when Jesus did come and so many who didn't recognize Him for Who He is. This is why I am leery of any view of the Second Coming that gives it a definite date in relation to other events.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by eschaton View Post
      Sorry. My bad.

http://unpreterist.blogspot.com/2013...ee-warren.html

However, the original link applies 1000% to partial as well as full preterism.

http://unpreterist.blogspot.com/2014...onclusion.html
      Here is what Roderick actually says.

Talbot's radical Clarkianism undermined the approach toward refuting Full Preterism and has allowed the Full Preterist to rightly point out the hypocritically convoluted nature of "Partial-Preterism". This is not necessary a bad thing, since I believe Partial-Preterism should be the first to fall.
      The Capitol Insurrection And Religion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_bibl_vppi_i0

Comment

Those crackpots who set dates for the Lord's return and end up creating cults, were any of them preterist?
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          I suspect you are mistaken here. A lot of futurists are also compatibilists (sp) which would come off as sexist at times.
          That makes sense actually....

Personally, I'm a 'I'llfindoutwhenHegetshereist' - I don't think any major school of eschatology gets it perfect and I strongly suspect that's God's intention. What is perfectly plain to us in terms of the prophesies Jesus fulfilled were not so clear to the ancient Hebrews, hence so much confusion when Jesus did come and so many who didn't recognize Him for Who He is. This is why I am leery of any view of the Second Coming that gives it a definite date in relation to other events.
          Personally, I agree with you. I don't think one camp has it entirely right. While I was a preterist before, now I don't really care about when revelations will take place. Rather then focusing on the end times, I think it is more worthy on doing what Christ told us to do.
          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I support the :
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
            Those crackpots who set dates for the Lord's return and end up creating cults, were any of them preterist?
            I don't think this is really a relevant matter in light of the bigger picture of ultimate consequences. If futurism is wrong, then it's a false doctrine regardless. So even futurists that don't set specific dates of the parousia are propagating a false doctrine. If preterism is wrong, then it doesn't matter if this view has never been part of any end time date setting cult because the view is a false doctrine regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
              I think it is more worthy on doing what Christ told us to do.
              That's what futurists believe they're doing...

Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door.
              He also gives a warning about not understanding what's coming until it was too late such as those in the days of Noah.
              Last edited by seanD; 08-05-2015, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eschaton View Post
                Here is what Roderick actually says.
                Thanks. I reserve the right to disagree with Roderick's conclusions; IMO his arguments are poorly stated. He clearly doesn't like Dee Dee, which seems to be good enough reason for you to agree with him.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Could you point me to evidence that Roderick E. has, in fact, apostasized?
                  No sir, I don't know who he is, other than what I've read in this thread. Unless I misread, he claimed to be a Christian for 15 years, and now calls himself an atheist. If that is true, then yes, it seems he did apostacize.
                  Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                    No sir, I don't know who he is, other than what I've read in this thread. Unless I misread, he claimed to be a Christian for 15 years, and now calls himself an atheist. If that is true, then yes, it seems he did apostacize.
                    I'm not seeing it. Can you provide me a quote?
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                      Brother,

You misread. He was a Preterist for 15 years. He is arguing Preterism leads atheism.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        Brother,

You misread. He was a Preterist for 15 years. He is arguing Preterism leads atheism.
                        To me, it seems a better argument that preterism leads to deception than atheism. In other words, if one isn't expecting a deception that will capture the world in the future, then one might not recognize it as a deception when it happens, or think it's just part of the world moving into a new phase of God-driven progression. I haven't read the article but I don't see any correlation between the two. The slippery slope to atheism, IMO, is from creationism to TE. That makes more sense to me.
                        Last edited by seanD; 08-05-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I'm not seeing it. Can you provide me a quote?
                          37818 has pointed out that I misread. I admit my mistake, and hope none were harmed by my misunderstanding.
                          Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            I don't think this is really a relevant matter in light of the bigger picture of ultimate consequences. If futurism is wrong, then it's a false doctrine regardless. So even futurists that don't set specific dates of the parousia are propagating a false doctrine. If preterism is wrong, then it doesn't matter if this view has never been part of any end time date setting cult because the view is a false doctrine regardless.
                            Those who fall for the blood moon theories and the shmita theory, and even the Jupiter Effect theory of the 1980s, betray a lack of objectivity and a desire to accept whatever fantasy Christian publishers come out with. The futurists that I have come into contact with generally do not question what they are being taught.
                            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                              Those who fall for the blood moon theories and the shmita theory, and even the Jupiter Effect theory of the 1980s, betray a lack of objectivity and a desire to accept whatever fantasy Christian publishers come out with. The futurists that I have come into contact with generally do not question what they are being taught.
                              Those who fall for the Nero-as-Antichrist theories and the Jerusalem-is-the-whole-world theory and even the God already came in judgment theory of the 1990's, betray a lack of objectivity and a desire to accept whatever fantasy that lets them avoid suffering any tribulation whatsoever. The preterists I have come into contact with generally do not question what they are being taught.

Comment

As has already been explained, preterism doesn't necessitate that there won't be multiple fulfillments of prophecy, so there could theoretically be a tribulation even if preterism is true. But certain futurists that I've come in contact with don't question what they're taught.
                                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X