Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    Well, it 'was' pretty fricken dumb.
    No, it makes perfect sense. If you want to see true, spectacular dumb, there's a post in this thread by some idiot who thinks the sexual revolution made gays and pedos want to become Catholic priests. Now THAT's what I call dumb.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Well, pedophilia and ephebophilia are both the same thing, essentially.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Yup. Being attracted to post-pubescent boys is still pedophilia if they're underage.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          No, it makes perfect sense. If you want to see true, spectacular dumb, there's a post in this thread by some idiot who thinks the sexual revolution made gays and pedos want to become Catholic priests. Now THAT's what I call dumb.
          Could you actually explain what it meant, then?
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Yup. Being attracted to post-pubescent boys is still pedophilia if they're underage.
            No, it's not. Pedophilia is a mental disorder (like homosexuality) where people are exclusively attracted to children. Ephebophilia OTOH isn't. I'm skeptical that it's even really a thing. Children have no secondary sexual characteristics (unlike teens). Being attracted to secondary sexual characteristics is perfectly normal whereas being attracted to prepubescent children isn't. The brain doesn't magically know the age of the other person and attraction then kicks in on that basis. Attraction kicks in, at least partially, on pattern recognition. Talk of ephebophilia is superfluous and an unnecessary distraction. What most of the priests who molested children actually were is gay men having sex with teenage boys (often consensually).

For example:

http://www.archmil.org/reorg/bardate...ders/Flynt.htm

Flynt had attempted to seduce the groom after the rehearsal party.

In May, 2002, the Milwaukee County District Attorney advised the archdiocese that his office had opened an investigation into claims of sexual abuse of a minor by Flynt. The individual brought the complaint to the DA stating that at age 11, with the consent of his parents, he had started staying overnight at the rectory with Flynt. This arrangement continued for nine years. It was reported that they slept in the same bed and that Flynt engaged in genital fondling with the individual.

Comment

Could you actually explain what it meant, then?
              nah

Comment

Well, pedophilia and ephebophilia are both the same thing, essentially. Even if the boy is post-pubescent, he's still underage.
                Both are immoral, illegal, and unethical, but the latter may be more of an issue with an all male celibate priesthood.

Still, though, the main argument against this is that pedophilia among the Catholic clergy is at a significantly lower rate than the general populace, so the argument that celibacy encourages ephebophilia doesn't hold much water.

As for the studies, here's one:

http://www.newsweek.com/priests-comm...er-males-70625
                When I click on your link, all I see is this headline: "Priests Commit No More Abuse Than Other Males, By Pat Wingert, Filed: 4/7/10 at 8:00 PM | Updated: 4/19/10 at 7:59 PM" Can you describe some of the content, particularly with respect to my earlier questions.

As for the 50% of gay priests, I have to say, that doesn't sound realistic at all, though, as you said, you don't really have any data to back that statistic up.
                It is not intended as an accurate statistic, just an attempt to be minimally incorrect in an area that the church refuses to talk about.
                Last edited by robrecht; 06-09-2014, 02:31 AM.
                אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

When I click on your link, all I see is this headline: "Priests Commit No More Abuse Than Other Males, By Pat Wingert, Filed: 4/7/10 at 8:00 PM | Updated: 4/19/10 at 7:59 PM" Can you describe some of the content, particularly with respect to my earlier questions.
                  My bad, it looks like they only give you five free articles. Still though, it's also fact that pedophilia rates among the clergy are at a significantly lower rate than the general populace. This is proven in the most comprehensive study on the subject to date (though it was already proven in other studies before it), the book "Pedophiles and Priests" by scholar Philip Jenkins. It affects only an extremely, extremely small minority of the entire priesthood, 0.3% of the modern clergy, according to the study.

It is not intended as an accurate statistic, just an attempt to be minimally incorrect in an area that the church refuses to talk about.
                  Saying that half the clergy is gay is hardly "minimally" incorrect.
                  Last edited by TimelessTheist; 06-09-2014, 11:21 PM.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

My bad, it looks like they only give you five free articles. Still though, it's also fact that pedophilia rates among the clergy are at a significantly lower rate than the general populace. This is proven in the most comprehensive study on the subject to date (though it was already proven in other studies before it), the book "Pedophiles and Priests" by scholar Philip Jenkins. It affects only an extremely, extremely small minority of the entire priesthood, 0.3% of the modern clergy, according to the study.

Saying that half the clergy is gay is hardly "minimally" incorrect.
                    If you have actual data on homosexuality among priests and religious, please share, along with the methodology and presuppositions. Otherwise, all we have is anecdotal experience and personal estimates. If we guess 50% and it is really 99% or 1%, then we're off by no more than 49%. To get better odds than that would require that people in the church actually start discussing this question honestly and openly.

So it sounds like the studies you're referring to discuss pedophilia in the technical sense, which is estimated based on what, arrests, convictions, accusations?

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      If you have actual data on homosexuality among priests and religious, please share, along with the methodology and presuppositions. Otherwise, all we have is anecdotal experience and personal estimates. If we guess 50% and it is really 99% or 1%, then we're off by no more than 49%. To get better odds than that would require that people in the church actually start discussing this question honestly and openly.

So it sounds like the studies you're referring to discuss pedophilia in the technical sense, which is estimated based on what, arrests, convictions, accusations?
                      I really don't see a reason to, other than to give the LGBT something to whine about. I'm just saying that Catholic clergy isn't exactly the thing you think of when you think "gay people".

Convictions.
                      Last edited by TimelessTheist; 06-10-2014, 08:32 PM.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

I really don't see a reason to, other than to give the LGBT something to whine about. I'm just saying that Catholic clergy isn't exactly the thing you think of when you think "gay people".
                        Maybe things have changed since the 1980s & '90s, but it was that way back then. I mentioned one religious who estimated that his province was 80% gay. As a dumb Midwestern hick, I entered religious life thinking that gays should not be accepted as candidates for priesthood or religious life, and believed that they were, of course, not accepted, but I eventually realized that this was a very narrow minded and uncharitable attitude of mine as I realized how many of my confreres were gay and very good and spiritual people. But eventually, I had to wonder what was I doing there? Religious communities shouldn't be gay spiritual clubs, or, even if there was a place for such a thing, it certainly was not where I belonged.

Convictions.
                        Convictions for pedophilia, ephebophilia, or both? Isn't it so sad that even one priest has ever been convicted of such horrible crimes. Concitions over what time period? Until recently, there were so many cases of pedophiles that were never brought to trial and convicted so, depending on the time frame, that too could skew the results. I'm not saying the results are skewed. I hope they're not, but still, how terrible it was that so many despicable criminals were protected and abetted by the church hierarchy, all in the name of not causing scandal. I would rather choose priests from among happily married men and women who have demonstrated a holy life of service. If priests were predominantly chosen from among married people, there would be so many to choose from, mature normal people who had already demonstrated maturity, talent and leadership skills.

Comment

Maybe things have changed since the 1980s & '90s, but it was that way back then. I mentioned one religious who estimated that his province was 80% gay. As a dumb Midwestern hick, I entered religious life thinking that gays should not be accepted as candidates for priesthood or religious life, and believed that they were, of course, not accepted, but I eventually realized that this was a very narrow minded and uncharitable attitude of mine as I realized how many of my confreres were gay and very good and spiritual people. But eventually, I had to wonder what was I doing there? Religious communities shouldn't be gay spiritual clubs, or, even if there was a place for such a thing, it certainly was not where I belonged.
                          Well, as long as they don't engage in the acts, I don't see a problem with it. However, saying that fifty percent of the clergy is gay, is just absurd.

Convictions for pedophilia, ephebophilia, or both? Isn't it so sad that even one priest has ever been convicted of such horrible crimes. Concitions over what time period? Until recently, there were so many cases of pedophiles that were never brought to trial and convicted so, depending on the time frame, that too could skew the results. I'm not saying the results are skewed. I hope they're not, but still, how terrible it was that so many despicable criminals were protected and abetted by the church hierarchy, all in the name of not causing scandal. I would rather choose priests from among happily married men and women who have demonstrated a holy life of service. If priests were predominantly chosen from among married people, there would be so many to choose from, mature normal people who had already demonstrated maturity, talent and leadership skills.
                          many cases of pedophiles that were never brought to trail and convicted
                          I have a feeling I know what you're talking about, but still, source?

how terrible it was that so many despicable criminals were protected and abetted by the church hierarchy, all in the name of not causing scandal.
                          This is a long debunked conspiracy theory, that has never been proven to be true. Only in the delusional world of the corrupt, mainstream media, is it true that the higher ups in the Church hierarchy actually protected these pedophiles in some sort of massive cover up to prevent scandal.
                          Last edited by TimelessTheist; 06-10-2014, 11:52 PM.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Well, as long as they don't engage in the acts, I don't see a problem with it. However, saying that fifty percent of the clergy is gay, is just absurd.

I have a feeling I know what you're talking about, but still, source?

This is a long debunked conspiracy theory, that has never been proven to be true. Only in the delusional world of the corrupt, mainstream media, is it true that the higher ups in the Church hierarchy actually protected these pedophiles in some sort of massive cover up to prevent scandal.
                            It is not absurd if it gets people to think and then talk openly and honestly about an issue that has been kept in the closet. Some day, perhaps there won't be any need for estimates.

My source is my own experience of many years in religious life. But you do not have to take my word for it; speak to anyone involved in church government at the time. It was common practice to protect abusers from civil authorities, to move abusers around in the belief that they had repented. Some were enlightened enough to try and prevent or limit the ministry to children of past offenders, but they were not turned over to the police.
                            Last edited by robrecht; 06-11-2014, 05:52 AM.

Comment

My source is my own experience of many years in religious life. But you do not have to take my word for it; speak to anyone involved in church government at the time. It was common practice to protect abusers from civil authorities, to move abusers around in the belief that they had repented. Some were enlightened enough to try and prevent or limit the ministry to children of past offenders, but they were not turned over to the police.
                              Sorry, but "I know they did!" isn't good enough. You're going to have to provide evidence to back up that accusation. The closest thing you could ever come to that accusation is what the Church did in the fifties....and even then, they were just following suit with the secular authorities at the time, and sending men with pedophilia urges to get psychological counseling rather than sending them to prison.

It is not absurd if it gets people to think and then talk openly and honestly about an issue that has been kept in the closet. Some day, perhaps there won't be any need for estimates.
                              Why does it matter, again?
                              Last edited by TimelessTheist; 06-11-2014, 01:02 PM.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Sorry, but "I know they did!" isn't good enough. You're going to have to provide evidence to back up that accusation.
                                Were we in a court of law, my testimony would be accepted as evidence, and I would provide my testimony truthfully, exactly as I've posted here, except there I would be gladly subject to the legal penalties for perjury. I would not have documentary evidence of my own to provide but it is subject to subpoena. I suspect that some subpoenaed documents have been made public, but I've never searched for this kind of evidence as I have no need of it to back up my own experience. Apart from my own experience I have also known personally one of the foremost experts in this field as well as several major superiors and bishops who would tell you exactly the same thing. You don't have to take my word for it.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X