Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

See more
See less

. . . the Real Presence in the Eucharist or another Jesus another gospel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Comic book theology. Seriously? Isis, Horus, and Seb. Nonsense. IHS is variously interpreted as "in hoc signo" in this sign, transforming the words of Constantine, or simply the first three letters of Jesus' name. That you or your comic book theologians believe they stand for the Egyptian gods of Isis, Horus, and Seb is just anonder falsehood on your part.
    Even my Southern Baptist church had "IHS" on its communion table.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

When is it ever funny to misrepresent people's beliefs? This is why your nonsense does not deserve to be taken seriously.
      Because you act so WILLINGLY dumb it's just natural to ridicule you.

Comment

• Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
        Very effective theological argument. Do you have nothing more than polemics, comic books and insults?
        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Funny because you said it.
          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            Funny because you said it.
            hey man...simple truth.

alright gotta go.

I got places to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Even my Southern Baptist church had "IHS" on its communion table.
              I'm an honorary Southern Baptist.

Comment

It is an answer. Don't matter nuttin if you don't like it.
                It is not an answer. It is you saying that you don't care if you can't answer the question, that you don't want to admit to the implications that the answer is 'no'.
                Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                Now that Sparty fessed up to it it's time for you to start dealing wit the REAL facts on hand.
                Lots of people fail to understand the depth of Catholic theology, or disagree about theology within the Catholic church, and Eucharistic and sacramental theologies can be effectively critiqued, but not by those who have no interest in understanding in even trying to understand what they criticize. At least Spartacus has begun to study Catholic theology.
                Last edited by robrecht; 06-12-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I'm an honorary Southern Baptist.
                  You keep misspelling "ornery."
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Lots of people fail to understand the depth of Catholic theology, or disagree about theology within the Catholic church, and Eucharistic and sacramental theologies can be effectively critiqued, but not by those who have no interest in understanding in even trying to understand what they criticize. At least Spartacus has begun to study Catholic theology.
                    The catechism calls the Eucharist the source and summit of the Christian life.

Flannery O'Connor famously said, regarding the Eucharist, "if it's just a symbol, the Hell with it."

The Real Presence is a very important part of many Catholics' spiritual lives.

Have I taken any college-level courses specifically on sacramental theology? No, but I dare say that more than half a decade of experience in apologetics and attending conferences on Catholic theology and earning a bachelor's degree in the field, I qualify at least as an amateur theologian. I'm not sure whether to take your phrase, "has begun to study" as charming or condescending.
                    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

You keep misspelling "ornery."
                      Now you're confusing me with Cow Poker. One of these days I'll learn who's who around here, but when you keep changing churches, it makes it more difficult. You're the former Protestant that became Eastern Orthodox, he's the former backwoods Baptist who became a liberal onery Southern Baptist, and Bill the Cat is the former Catholic that became a Protestant. Did I get it right this time?

Comment

Now you're confusing me with Cow Poker. One of these days I'll learn who's who around here, but when you keep changing churches, it makes it more difficult. You're the former Protestant that became Eastern Orthodox, he's the former backwoods Baptist who became a liberal onery Southern Baptist, and Bill the Cat is the former Catholic that became a Protestant. Did I get it right this time?
                        Mostly. It's the General Baptists who are liberals. Unless you're an Independent Fundamental Baptist, in which case anybody who's not one of you is a liberal.

(I grew up Independent Fundamental; the church is Baptist in all but name.)
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                          The catechism calls the Eucharist the source and summit of the Christian life.

Flannery O'Connor famously said, regarding the Eucharist, "if it's just a symbol, the Hell with it."

The Real Presence is a very important part of many Catholics' spiritual lives.

Have I taken any college-level courses specifically on sacramental theology? No, but I dare say that more than half a decade of experience in apologetics and attending conferences on Catholic theology and earning a bachelor's degree in the field, I qualify at least as an amateur theologian. I'm not sure whether to take your phrase, "has begun to study" as charming or condescending.
                          It's meant to be charming. I think you're a great guy. St Thomas Aquinas, one of the greatest theologians who ever lived, tried to burn his works as straw toward the end of his life, perhaps on account of an experience of God in Eucharistic devotion. I think the catechism is a good source of catechetical, ie, introductory, theology and I think the section on the Eucharist is particularly good. Notice I quoted it above. Personally, for me, the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist is indeed of unmeasured importance to my spirituality. Since the days of Flanner O'Connor, a great many Catholic theologians have moved beyond the 'just a symbol' denigration of symbolic sacramental theology. Who is teaching Eucharist or sacramental theology at Notre Dame now? Edward Kilmartin was a truly great professor there at one time but he has gone to be with the Lord, but I see one of his students has completed his draft version of The Eucharist in the West: History and Theology. That would be an excellent introduction into further study of the various Catholic theologies of the Eucharist throughout the history of the Church. Perhaps you will one day become as great of a theologian as him or even Thomas Aquinas and we will all sit at your feet and marvel at the words that come forth from your mouth. I will probably be with Thomas and Edward at that time, but we'll still know and be proud of your accomplishments.

Comment

Mostly. It's the General Baptists who are liberals. Unless you're an Independent Fundamental Baptist, in which case anybody who's not one of you is a liberal.

(I grew up Independent Fundamental; the church is Baptist in all but name.)
                            I think Cow Poke grew up as some kind of independent backwoods Baptist (not sure if this is related to an 'Independent Fundamental' Baptist), before rebelling and joining what they considered to be the very liberal Southern Baptists. I know they're not really liberal liberal, but they do have their good points, nonetheless. I speak of liberal in the sense of the glorious liberty of the children of God that all creation is yearning for.
                            Last edited by robrecht; 06-12-2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

And I'm the former Catholic who became a happy-clappy protestant (of the reformed variety)
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                                And I'm the former Catholic who became a happy-clappy protestant (of the reformed variety)
                                Reformed, meaning some flavor of Calvinist or Presbyterian? And 'happy-clappy', what exactly is that? And one last question, if I may, what is your avatar?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X