See less

Orthodox Quote of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Although it is impossible to comprehend what God is, it is possible to say what He is not." - St. Athanasius the Great, First Letter to Monks
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

While fasting with the body, brethren, let us also fast in spirit. / Let us loose every bond of iniquity; / Let us undo the knots of every contract made by violence; / let us tear up all unjust agreements; / let us give bread to the hungry / and welcome to our house the poor who have no roof to cover them, / that we may receive great mercy from Christ our God (Vespers for Wednesday of the first week).

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Blessed is he who is considerate to the needy and the poor. Not even night should interrupt you in your duty of mercy. There should be no delay between your intention and your good deed. Generosity is the one thing that cannot admit of delay. He who does acts of mercy should do so with cheerfulness. The grace of the deed is doubled when it is done with promptness and speed. What is given with a bad grace or against one's will is distasteful and far from praiseworthy. When we perform an act of kindness we should rejoice and not be sad about it. Let us visit Christ whenever we may, let us care for him, feed him, clothe him, welcome him, honor him, not only at a meal or by anointing him as Mary did, or by giving him gold, frankincense and myrrh, like the Magi.

The Lord of all asks for mercy, not sacrifice and mercy is greater than myriads of fattened lambs. Let us then show him mercy in the persons of the poor and those who today are lying on the ground, so that when we come to leave this world they may receive us into everlasting dwelling places.
            -- St. Gregory the Theologian
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you for reviving this thread. As I'm about to experience Great Lent in the Orthodox tradition for the first time, the quotes about Lent in particular have been helpful and edifying.

Comment

You're welcome!

The material in the Lenten Triodion, which I'm reading for the first time, has been quite enlightening for me as well.
                sigpic

Comment

'And forgive us our debts as we also forgive our debtors.' For we have many sins. For we offend both in word and in thought, and very many things we do worthy of condemnation; and 'if we say that we have no sin' (I Jn. 1:8), we lie, as John says...The offenses committed against us are slight and trivial, and easily settled; but those which we have committed against God are great, and need such mercy as His only is. Take heed, therefore, lest for the slight and trivial sins against you, you shut out for yourself forgiveness from God for your very grievous sins.
                  --St. Cyril of Jerusalem
                  sigpic

Comment

To those who venerate the Cross of Christ with all their heart, it is a bridle and restraint on every lust and a law of abstinence. Looking ever upon Him who on the Cross was crucified, they crucify the flesh with its passions and desires. Let us also flee from sinful lust; fasting in purity, let us become one with Him, who out of love for mankind made Himself one with us by suffering the Passion, and so enabled us to share in His own freedom from the passions; for He has great mercy.
                    Aposticha verse for Vespers on Thursday evening of Cheese Week
                    sigpic

Comment

Let us cleanse ourselves, brethren, from all defilement of flesh and spirit. Let us make the lamps of our souls burn brightly through our love of poverty, not devouring one another by dishonest accusations. For the time is at hand when the Bridegroom shall come to reward each according to his works. In the company of the wise virgins, may we enter with Christ, crying to Him with the voice of the thief: Remember us, O Lord, when Thou comest in Thy Kingdom.
                      - Aposticha sticheron for Vespers on Friday evening of Cheese Week
                      sigpic

Comment

The Prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian, said regularly (with prostrations) throughout Lent:

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of laziness, despair, lust for power, and vain talking. But give to me, Your servant, a spirit of purity, humility, patience, and love. Yes, Lord and King, grant me to see my own sins, and not judge my brother; for blessed are You forever and ever. Amen.
                        sigpic

Comment

Let us all make haste to humble the flesh by abstinence, as we set out upon the God-given course of the holy Fast; and with prayers and tears let us seek our Lord and Savior. Laying aside all memories of evil, let us cry aloud: 'We have sinned against Thee, Christ our King; save us as the men of Nineveh in days of old, and in Thy compassion make us sharers in Thy heavenly Kingdom.'

When I think of my works, deserving every punishment, I despair of myself, O Lord. For see, I have despised Thy precious commandments and wasted my life as the Prodigal. Therefore I entreat Thee: cleanse me in the waters of repentance, and through prayer and fasting make me shine with light, for Thou alone art merciful; abhor me not, O Benefactor of all, supreme in love.

Let us set out with joy upon the season of the Fast, and prepare ourselves for spiritual combat. Let us purify our soul and cleanse our flesh; and as we fast from food, let us abstain also from every passion. Rejoicing in the virtues of the Spirit may we persevere with love, and so be counted worthy to see the solemn Passion of Christ our God, and with great spiritual gladness to behold His holy Passover.

With incense and with spiritual songs, we offer unto Thee, O Christ, our evening hymn. Have mercy on our souls, O Savior.

Save me, O Lord my God, for Thou art the salvation of all. The billows of my passions sorely trouble me, and the burden of my transgressions drags me down. Stretch out Thine hand in help and lead me up to the light of compunction, for Thou only art compassionate and lovest mankind.

Gather together my scattered mind, O Lord, and purify my dry and barren heart, giving me like Peter repentance, like the Publican sighs of sorrow, and like the harlot tears, that I may cry with a loud voice unto Thee: 'Save me, O God, for Thou only art compassionate and lovest mankind.'

Often when I offer praise to God, I am found to be committing sin; for while I sing the hymns with my tongue, in my soul I ponder evil thoughts. But through repentance, Christ my God, set right my tongue and soul, and have mercy on me.
                          - stichera at the lamp-lighting psalms for Vespers on Sunday Evening (Sunday of Forgiveness)

Thy grace has shone forth, O Lord, it has shone forth and given light to our souls. Behold, now is the accepted time: behold, now is the season of repentance. Let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light, that having sailed across the great sea of the Fast, we may reach the third-day Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of our souls.

- sticheron at the Aposticha
                          Last edited by One Bad Pig; 03-02-2014, 05:05 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

OBP, these prayers are fantastic!
                            3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by LostSheep View Post
                              OBP, these prayers are fantastic!
                              Just got back from Vespers a couple hours ago, and wanted to share them.
                              sigpic

Comment

Am I ever delighted to gaze these wonderful quotes of the Eastern Congregations. Thanks be to thee One Bad Pig.
                                Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                                As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X