X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the full article here:

http://www.secularwoman.org/sites/de...%20Journal.pdf

Will be reading it now.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      I don't.
      I do.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Interesting --- the "Editorial Note" has a link to the archive, which appears to be SIX PAGES, but the hyperlink at the bottom of "Page 1 of 6" -- the ONLY page -- takes you to the comments, which have been closed til Monday.

Meanwhile, in case it disappears, here's "page 1 of 6":
        Source: Christianity Today

Seven years ago I was hired by my church to be the new youth minister. The youth group was on life support at the time, with only a few students involved. My wife and I, newly married, already had good relationships with the students and their parents and, with my college ministry experience, I seemed to be the perfect fit for the position.

The ministry grew steadily. Within a few years the group that once struggled to fill a minivan was taking over 40 students to camp every summer. Teens were involved in every area of our church. The students were participating in local, regional, and international missions, and were inviting their friends to our activities. The gospel was being taught, and students were accepting Christ, getting baptized, and serving.

Other youth ministers, wanting to experience the same growth in their groups, would ask me for tips on how to reach and connect with students. The growth of the youth group was so significant that our church was pursuing the purchase of a bus and considering plans to expand the facility and build a gym. We had outgrown our own building. I had no doubt that God had called me to the position and that he had even greater things in store for the ministry and for me.

© Copyright Original Source

Also, in the "Editorial Note" is this comment:
        Source: Editorial Note

First, the intent of this article was to serve as a cautionary story for church leaders and to prevent future abuse. According to Richard Hammar, a leading expert specializing in legal and tax issues for churches and clergy, sexual abuse is the number one reason churches end up in court. Cases involving youth leaders abusing students are particularly common and this piece was meant to draw attention to this tragic problem. We simply can't deny the pervasiveness of this problem or the deep and lasting wounds instances of abuse leave on the lives of victims.

© Copyright Original Source

The "Youth Pastor" starts by pretty much bragging that he built a large youth ministry from a very small one -- pride.

The BIG QUESTION I have is --- where was this guy's PASTOR?!?!?! There seemed to be no accountability. Both when I was youth pastor, and when I became senior pastor and I HIRE youth pastors - a HUGE factor is accountability, because it STANDS TO REASON that there will be temptations and opportunities for crisis.

The CHURCH LEADERSHIP also failed by not properly supervising this guy.
        ^Yeah, that!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I do.
          You're wrong.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            But you do not believe that they should be executed today, right?
            I'm ambivalent. If they lined up and shot the guy I wouldn't lose any sleep. The girl is probably too young for the death penalty, but if she was in her late high school years as the article hints (and if the article is accurate with regards to the evolution of the relationship) then she's not much of a victim. The reason why I brought it up though is to point out that biblically, once you hit your early mid teens you're considered an adult and thus responsible for your actions (you could also get married and thus have sex).

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious.

Yeah, we do.
              Amen, CP.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I think it's wrong to punish the guy and not the girl. It's like John 8 in reverse. And to say that the pastor is responsible seems ridiculous, without further facts. Even Jesus's church had a wolf in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                  I think it's wrong to punish the guy and not the girl. It's like John 8 in reverse. And to say that the pastor is responsible seems ridiculous, without further facts. Even Jesus's church had a wolf in it.
                  By the way, what is your preferred manner of execution for adulterers? Stoning?
                  אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

At what age do you believe a person (male and female) are old enough to be punished for this?
                    If the girl was 12 would you be willing that she be punished in the same way as say a 16 year old....17?

Just curious as to what you believe at what age a person should be fully culpable as the other party (legal adult).

Comment

I think it's wrong to punish the guy and not the girl.
                      This is because you don't understand leadership.

It's like John 8 in reverse.
                      No, it's not.

And to say that the pastor is responsible seems ridiculous, without further facts.
                      Again, you don't understand leadership and responsibility. Perhaps when you mature, you'll understand this concept better.

Even Jesus's church had a wolf in it.
                      And Christ died for his sins, too.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't. It's not pride to say you built a large and successful youth ministry when... you did build a large youth ministry. ...
                        Now that you have read the article, you will admit that the author himself identifies himself as proud: "I was the king of my own little kingdom, but pride comes before the fall."

Comment

I'm ambivalent. If they lined up and shot the guy I wouldn't lose any sleep. The girl is probably too young for the death penalty, but if she was in her late high school years as the article hints (and if the article is accurate with regards to the evolution of the relationship) then she's not much of a victim. The reason why I brought it up though is to point out that biblically, once you hit your early mid teens you're considered an adult and thus responsible for your actions (you could also get married and thus have sex).
                          The perpetrator has achieved more insight:
                          Author's Note: In response to readers' concerns, the author of this piece has offered the following clarification: "I recognize that what I initially considered a consensual relationship was actually preying on a minor. Youth pastors who do the same are not "in relationship" but are indeed sexual predators. I take 100 percent of the responsibility for what happened."

Even if the girl was in high school (he doesn't say how long the relationship was going on), it was an unequal relationship with respect to power, authority, and responsibility. Not only was he about twice her age, he held a position of ministerial responsibility for her from the time she was in middle school. His early 'nurturing' of the 'relationship' is more properly called grooming on the part of a predator who abuses his position on an unsuspecting child.

By the way, at what age do you think the girl might be old enough for execution on account of her role in this relationship? Are you also rethinking or ambivalent about your opposition to the death penalty for homosexuals?

Comment

As a pastor, he's supposed to be a spiritual leader of his church, someone who exemplifies godliness. Abusing power and committing adultery are antithetical to that. So even if the girl threw herself at him, it's still absolutely his responsibility to stay pure and NOT COMMIT A FELONY LIKE STATUTORY RAPE.
                            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                              Now that you have read the article, you will admit that the author himself identifies himself as proud: "I was the king of my own little kingdom, but pride comes before the fall."
                              You appear to have some chronological issues. The pride comment CP made was in regard to the article, not how he was prior to his offense.

Comment

You appear to have some chronological issues. The pride comment CP made was in regard to the article, not how he was prior to his offense.
                                Perhaps. I read it differently, but you may understand Cow Poke better than me. The rest of his comment was certainly about the past, ie, where was the pastor at that time.

Comment