Persecution in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't think they could go any lower.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

"I fought the law and the law won."
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

The county is breaking the law.

The only law going to ultimately win in this case is God.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
          Of all the low-down, sneaky things for the county to pull...

The County of Los Angeles decided to circumvent the order. The County's Public Works Department Issued a 30-day termination notice to the church for a lease agreement for a large portion of the parking lot, which has been in place continuously since 1975.

According to the documents reviewed by Townhall, the church has to evacuate the property on October 1. Any items that are left in the parking lot at that time will be considered County property.

Jenna Ellis, the Special Counsel to the Thomas More Society and legal counsel for the church, said this is a way for the County to retaliate against her client.

"Los Angeles County is retaliating against Grace Community Church for simply exercising their constitutionally protected right to hold church and challenging an unreasonable, unlawful health order. In America, we have a judicial system to ensure that the executive branch does not abuse its power, and Grace Community Church has every right to be heard without fear of reprisal," she said in a statement. "The Democrats' message to Americans is clear--if you don't bow to every whim of tyranny, the government will come after you. The Church has peacefully held this lease for 45 years and the only reason the County is attempting eviction is because John MacArthur stood up to their unconstitutional power grab. This is harassment, abusive, and unconscionable."

Source: https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethba...hurch-n2575331

If the county is deliberately trying to make themselves look bad, they're doing a terribly good job at it.
          They should get fork trucks and move a junkyard on top of the parking lot so the county has to pay to remove "their property"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            They should get fork trucks and move a junkyard on top of the parking lot so the county has to pay to remove "their property"

I suggested a peaceful sit-in on October 01. 7000 people in the parking lot would be a big boon to the county when they confiscate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              "I fought the law and the law won."
              Like John has said in some of his sermons, "I've read the ending. Jesus wins." I'll take comfort in that.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                Like John has said in some of his sermons, "I've read the ending. Jesus wins." I'll take comfort in that.
                While I absolutely agree with you on the ending, I think too many Christians skip over: "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you." - 1 Peter 4:12. I can think of no Scriptural guarantee that no matter how faithful John MacArthur and his congregation are that they will keep their building. My take from the other side of the country is this court case between the church and the county has become so personal that the county is looking to destroy the church. I hope the church leadership is at least thinking about what they will do if they lose the building.

I think all Christians should be paying attention to what is happening. I think this kind of behavior by the government is going to increase and eventually they will find a way to get the courts to rule in their favor. I will not argue with you if you say this will be regional. It probably will be. But for those living in those regions, its going to be a big change.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

While I absolutely agree with you on the ending, I think too many Christians skip over: "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you." - 1 Peter 4:12. I can think of no Scriptural guarantee that no matter how faithful John MacArthur and his congregation are that they will keep their building. My take from the other side of the country is this court case between the church and the county has become so personal that the county is looking to destroy the church. I hope the church leadership is at least thinking about what they will do if they lose the building.

I think all Christians should be paying attention to what is happening. I think this kind of behavior by the government is going to increase and eventually they will find a way to get the courts to rule in their favor. I will not argue with you if you say this will be regional. It probably will be. But for those living in those regions, its going to be a big change.
                  The building isn't at issue. As far as I know it's owned by the congregation. It's a large portion of the parking area. For the county or the state to attempt to take the worship centre, or the Master's University buildings, or the Master's Seminary, all on the same property, would be an undertaking that I doubt they would want to attempt over this issue.

And the church AND the pastor are under no delusions that this is not part of a larger persecution against the church worldwide that has been coming in the west, is in full swing in many countries and will get worse before the the Lord returns.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    The building isn't at issue. As far as I know it's owned by the congregation. It's a large portion of the parking area. For the county or the state to attempt to take the worship centre, or the Master's University buildings, or the Master's Seminary, all on the same property, would be an undertaking that I doubt they would want to attempt over this issue.

And the church AND the pastor are under no delusions that this is not part of a larger persecution against the church worldwide that has been coming in the west, is in full swing in many countries and will get worse before the the Lord returns.
                    Try this: once they have the parking lot they'll say the church has insufficient parking for it's purpose and revoke the church's license (or whatever) to hold service there.

Comment

Try this: once they have the parking lot they'll say the church has insufficient parking for it's purpose and revoke the church's license (or whatever) to hold service there.

Maybe. I guess we'll see.

All I know for sure is that God is sovereign and whatever happens will be for His glory.

Comment

This from a FB page.

GCC parking.jpg

Comment

https://onenewsnow.com/legal-courts/...ovid-narrative

Pastor John MacArthur is going to court today to argue for his church's right to continue having church services.

Pastor John MacArthur was holding online-only services for Los Angeles County-based Grace Community Church until July, when people began showing up on campus unannounced and voluntarily. During appearances on various television and radio programs, Pastor MacArthur has stated that congregants "didn't buy the narrative" about COVID-19.

Local and state officials do not want churches having indoor services, citing concerns about the spread of the virus.

MacArthur
                          "Our members know the statistical reality that you have a 99.99 percent chance of not being affected by this, and certainly not in a deadly way," Pastor MacArthur told Todd Starnes in August.

Meanwhile, Pastor MacArthur has consistently pointed out that Jesus, not Governor Gavin Newsom (D) or any other elected official, is the head of the Church.

Ellis
                          "The county did not try to enforce the very same measures against entities and gatherings that do not even have the heightened protections that churches do -- for example, the George Floyd protests, all of the riots, and Planned Parenthood clinics," said attorney Jenna Ellis of Thomas More Society, the law firm representing Pastor MacArthur, in an interview with OneNewsNow. "Yet they're coming after and targeting churches that, under the U.S. Constitution and California Constitution, have heightened protections."

The Superior Court of the State of California County of Los Angeles is scheduled to hear this morning's arguments.

Comment

The church is still waiting for a decision from the judge.

But, this, today.

https://disrn.com/news/la-county-fin...9o7l6yDwy0f7y0

Last Updated Sep 9th, 2020 at 12:43 pm
                            In ongoing efforts to halt indoor worship services at Grace Community Church, Los Angeles County has reportedly handed Pastor John MacArthur's church a $1,000 fine for violating a signage ordinance.

Grace Church posted attention-getting signs outside its sanctuary that read in part:

"Please do not enter if you have an elevated temperature, a cough, or any flu-like symptoms."
                            But according to county inspectors, the signs were not properly placed at both the front and back entrances to the building, nor did they instruct congregants to wash their hands, sanitize, wear face coverings, and socially distance.

Jenna Ellis, special counsel from Thomas More Society, who is representing MacArthur and Grace, called the county's actions "bullying and harassment."

🔦 The $1,000 fine comes a little over a week after L.A. County moved to evict Grace Church from a parking lot they had leased for more than four decades.

There is a clear photo of the actual signage in the article. This is so clearly anti-God behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              The church is still waiting for a decision from the judge.

But, this, today.

https://disrn.com/news/la-county-fin...9o7l6yDwy0f7y0

Last Updated Sep 9th, 2020 at 12:43 pm
                              In ongoing efforts to halt indoor worship services at Grace Community Church, Los Angeles County has reportedly handed Pastor John MacArthur's church a $1,000 fine for violating a signage ordinance.

Grace Church posted attention-getting signs outside its sanctuary that read in part:

"Please do not enter if you have an elevated temperature, a cough, or any flu-like symptoms."
                              But according to county inspectors, the signs were not properly placed at both the front and back entrances to the building, nor did they instruct congregants to wash their hands, sanitize, wear face coverings, and socially distance.

Jenna Ellis, special counsel from Thomas More Society, who is representing MacArthur and Grace, called the county's actions "bullying and harassment."

🔦 The $1,000 fine comes a little over a week after L.A. County moved to evict Grace Church from a parking lot they had leased for more than four decades.

There is a clear photo of the actual signage in the article. This is so clearly anti-God behaviour.
                              Has anyone thought of contacting William Barr, the U.S. Attorney General? I know he has publicly expressed displeasure to ham-fisted over-the-top quarantine enforcement and said he might get involved with local cases.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Has anyone thought of contacting William Barr, the U.S. Attorney General? I know he has publicly expressed displeasure to ham-fisted over-the-top quarantine enforcement and said he might get involved with local cases.
                                I don't know, rogue-y. I know that the attorney for GCC is working hard for the church. Hopefully she has thought of all the contingencies there are. MacArthur said at the beginning that the church (in general) has support from Washington, but he didn't elaborate.

Comment