Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining "Christian" or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Knowing for sure one is going to heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder how many people would have even chosen to become "Christians" in the first place, if they had both 1) understood the full law of God, and 2) believed that salvation were contingent on keeping the law. Further, I don't think the unregenerate can understand the full law of God, so premise #1 is impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      I wonder how many people would have even chosen to become "Christians" in the first place, if they had both 1) understood the full law of God, and 2) believed that salvation were contingent on keeping the law. Further, I don't think the unregenerate can understand the full law of God, so premise #1 is impossible.
      Just to be clear, you're not equating the necessity for a faith to come with action to a full keeping of the OT law, right?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        You phrased it, ". . . it is the faith that drives our works which does." Our "works which does?" Could you clarify this? Did you mean our "works which does faith?" James in his example the works which does faith (Genesis 15:6) came years latter (Genesis 22:). I agree that dead faith can save no one. Yet it is that faith which produces the works of God, without those works by which one is saved and justified. Would you not agree?
        OBP wrote: "Our works do not save, per se; it is the faith that drives our works which does".

It's obvious to me that what he means is that genuine work-producing faith is what saves, not the works that are produced from that faith. I'm having a hard time understanding what's so confusing about OBP's phrasing. It's completely clear, atleast to me. In fact, I'm having a hard time understanding how it could be parsed any other way than the way I'm parsing it.

Comment

Just to be clear, you're not equating the necessity for a faith to come with action to a full keeping of the OT law, right?
          I don't know; I'm not the one who claims that we gain eternal life by keeping the law. But Bad Pig apparently believes that Christians are judged by the law. Since no one can keep the law fully (especially given that the temple is destroyed), I would imagine that he probably gives Christians some considerable latitude in keeping it. Maybe they have to keep it 50% in order to get to heaven.

Comment

I don't know; I'm not the one who claims that we gain eternal life by keeping the law.
            Nobody in this thread is claiming that.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I don't know; I'm not the one who claims that we gain eternal life by keeping the law. But Bad Pig apparently believes that Christians are judged by the law. Since no one can keep the law fully (especially given that the temple is destroyed), I would imagine that he probably gives Christians some considerable latitude in keeping it. Maybe they have to keep it 50% in order to get to heaven.
              I have never seen OBP claiming anywhere on these forums that we gain eternal life by keeping the law. Quite the contrary in fact, if what he wrote in #53 is to be taken seriously.

Comment

So we're judged by it, and if we don't keep it then we are damned, but we don't inherit eternal life by it. I see.

Comment

So we're judged by it, and if we don't keep it then we are damned, but we don't inherit eternal life by it. I see.
                  How do you interpret Romans 7:7?

Comment

Obsidian, what do you think "false faith" means? "Faith that is not really faith at all"? Or just bad grammar?

Comment

Please refrain from being snarky until after you've provided the necessary evidence that OPB does indeed hold to the position you're trying to force upon him. Or you could refrain from being snarky altogether, given how badly you fail at it.

Comment

I should correct myself. Bad Pig did explicitly deny that we are judged by the law. He denied it, in direct contradiction of scripture (James 2:13) that says that we are judged by the law.

@Truthseeker

The Bible never uses the term "false faith." As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't mean anything.

Comment

Personally I believe salvation is by intellectual assent only. Genuine repentance and faith are extraneous and may potentially lead to damnation if one is not careful.
                          For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            OBP wrote: "Our works do not save, per se; it is the faith that drives our works which does".

It's obvious to me that what he means is that genuine work-producing faith is what saves, not the works that are produced from that faith. I'm having a hard time understanding what's so confusing about OBP's phrasing. It's completely clear, atleast to me. In fact, I'm having a hard time understanding how it could be parsed any other way than the way I'm parsing it.
                            Well, thank you.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The first time I read a short gospel message (age 12). It was in back of a Gidion NT my dad gave me, which he had gotten in WWII. I asked him about signing the back. And from what I understood if I did that I would have to keep all of God's laws. Which I understood, I knew I could not. It was not until about 2 years later, at a baptist church where we were invited, before the main service, two adults came and asked me, if "I knew for sure if I died, if I would go to heaven?" I did not. And then asked me if I would like to know, I did. And they lead me to Christ. That was an exciting moment in my life. The very idea that I can know for sure.
                              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37181
                                two adults came and asked me, if "I knew for sure if I died, if I would go to heaven?" I did not. And then asked me if I would like to know, I did. And they lead me to Christ. That was an exciting moment in my life. The very idea that I can know for sure.
                                I honestly feel like that's the main point of the gospel. A person can't go out and fight for the kingdom if he isn't even sure he belongs to the kingdom. A person can't go out and try to store up treasure in heaven, if he is still worried about going to hell. You need to know that your diligence in doing good will actually amount to something, that it won't be erased later on because you commit a sin.

Hebrews 11:6
                                But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Originally posted by Remonstrant
                                Genuine repentance and faith are extraneous and may potentially lead to damnation if one is not careful.
                                I don't understand what you mean.

Comment