This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    So one heretical belief that the pop preachers profusely propagate is that those who follow Christ should do "greater miracles" than He did, which is a terrible twisting of that part of Scripture:
    How so?
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

How so?
      The video explains it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

How so?
        Jesus wasn't referring to divine miracles. You don't have to have the ability to perform miracles to help people.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Stevie likes the ESV. I prefer the NET:

John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you, I do not speak on my own initiative, but the Father residing in me performs his miraculous deeds.
          John 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father is in me, but if you do not believe me, believe because of the miraculous deeds themselves.
          John 14:12 I tell you the solemn truth, the person who believes in me will perform the miraculous deeds that I am doing, and will perform greater deeds than these because I am going to the Father.

It was nice that Stevie cited that Gospel reference from Rom. 5. But let's not pretend it exists separate from Rom. 15:17-19.

Here's something somewhat relevant that I've posted previously. It's the late Gordon Fee, around 40 years ago:

Here's his daughter Cherith:

One of Dr. Fee's first "mass market" books was a slim booklet repudiating "The Disease of the Health and Wealth Gospel," i.e. the "Faith Movement," so neither he nor his daughter would be on board with a lot of that stuff. But the basic idea that Christians are to imitate Jesus, including His miracles, is fairly standard Pentecostalism.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• There are miracles recorded in Acts. Andvwe can do some pretty cool things to help people woth technology.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              But the basic idea that Christians are to imitate Jesus, including His miracles, is fairly standard Pentecostalism.
              The idea of imitating Jesus would seem to have certain limits built in. We are to take up our cross and follow Jesus but the vast majority of Christians shouldn't expect to have to undergo that literally.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                There are miracles recorded in Acts. Andvwe can do some pretty cool things to help people woth technology.
                I'm fairly certain that Jesus wasn't talking about technology.

In Orthodoxy, it is expected that miracles sometimes occur - healing, or clairvoyance, or bilocation.... It is the Holy Spirit which works the miracles.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

In Orthodoxy, it is expected that miracles sometimes occur - healing, or clairvoyance, or bilocation.... It is the Holy Spirit which works the miracles.
                  If one believes that God is truly sovereign, one has to believe that God can do what He wants when He wants wherever He wants.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Just don't try to test God. Might not end well.

Comment

Bilocation is one I hadn't heard of until now. Clairvoyance?
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Just don't try to test God. Might not end well.
                        Malachi 3:10 says, “‘Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,’ says the Lord Almighty, ‘and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.’”

But a very specific test.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Malachi 3:10 says, “‘Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,’ says the Lord Almighty, ‘and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.’”

But a very specific test.
                          I was referring to the "jump off a building and an angel will rescue you" kind of test.

Comment

I was referring to the "jump off a building and an angel will rescue you" kind of test.
                            yes

Comment

Bilocation is one I hadn't heard of until now. Clairvoyance?
                              Within a short period of time, I encountered people who attested that someone was able to read their thoughts - a Russian staaretz, Greek monk, and Romanian priest who had undergone torture by the communists.

I ran across bilocation rather more recently, when I read A Miracle at the Hyatt - The Story of Abbess Aemiliane - Ancient Faith Presents... | Ancient Faith Ministries. Abbess Aemiliane was pulled from the rubble by Abbot Aimilianos, who was in Greece at the time.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Within a short period of time, I encountered people who attested that someone was able to read their thoughts - a Russian staaretz, Greek monk, and Romanian priest who had undergone torture by the communists.
                                Ah. One side branch of prophecy. No surprise there.

I ran across bilocation rather more recently, when I read A Miracle at the Hyatt - The Story of Abbess Aemiliane - Ancient Faith Presents... | Ancient Faith Ministries. Abbess Aemiliane was pulled from the rubble by Abbot Aimilianos, who was in Greece at the time.
                                I have questions, but I can't deny the possibility. If Abbot Aimilianos had given an open acknowledgement, the questions would not arise.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment