Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

See more
See less

Joseph of Arimathea Buying Linen On Passover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah I would think so

Another thought is that he could have gotten the cloth from a gentile merchant
    I had thought of that, but I think I remember reading Mishnah on that where it said that that couldn't be a work around to be exploited, but that might have not mattered depending the circumstances and the haggling aspect that Just Passing Through brought to light.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think there has always been an allowance for burial preparation, because they didn't wait 3 or 4 days like we do to bury, and the didn't embalm. They buried as soon as practical, so it was acceptable to make preparation accordingly.
      Exactly. Israel has a warm environment which isn't exactly conducive to allowing corpses to sit around for a few days. And as you note they didn't embalm which makes it more important to bury bodies quickly. Then of course there is the fact that Jews believe that dead bodies defile the land which makes a quick burial even more important.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

also a side issue, about the sanhedron and the claim that they would have left the body on the cross and forbade burying it.

John 19:31 Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath. Because the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down38 Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus.

also it says Nicodemus brought the spices. Luke says the women prepared the spices later. but nobody says anyone bought spices, and only Mark even says Joseph bought the linen cloth

and the Tomb was not necessarily Josephs, but just a new tomb that was conveniently nearby

41 At the place where Jesus was crucified, there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb, in which no one had ever been laid. 42 Because it was the Jewish day of Preparation and since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

Comment

and the Tomb was not necessarily Josephs, but just a new tomb that was conveniently nearby
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

yeah funny how RC and Gary keep on about how the gospels just copied from Mark and these various details are different in each gospel, eh? sounds like independent rememberences to me.

Comment

also a side issue, about the sanhedron and the claim that they would have left the body on the cross and forbade burying it.

John 19:31 Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath. Because the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down38 Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus.

also it says Nicodemus brought the spices. Luke says the women prepared the spices later. but nobody says anyone bought spices, and only Mark even says Joseph bought the linen cloth

41 At the place where Jesus was crucified, there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb, in which no one had ever been laid. 42 Because it was the Jewish day of Preparation and since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.
              From the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia, the very first sentence of which demonstrates that the idea that the Sanhedrin would have forbidden Jesus' burial is nonsense:

Source: BURIAL:

Duty of Burialet seqSource

© Copyright Original Source

I should note that here the *** appears in this quote the Hebrew word is placed which I couldn't copy.

A bit further down in the section on the Time of Burial it states

Source:

l.c.).

Further as New Testament scholar Craig A. Evans points out in Jewish Burial Traditions and the Resurrection of Jesus:

He points out how in 1:18 of the Book of Tobit (regarded as canonical by Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christians), Tobit would make sure that even those who were executed on the authority of the Assyrian king were still buried. This is reiterated in 2:3 where he buries a man who had been executed.

Evans points out that "This Jewish sense of obligation that Jews executed by gentile authorities must be buried, even at personal risk, is very significant for the present study" and follows by noting that in Against Apion Josephus takes a similar view.

He also observes that this tradition continued to be held beyond Christ's time:

Source:

b. MegSipre Num

Finally, Evans brings up the importance of burying the dead "to avoid defilement of the land of Israel." So regardless of what personal feelings the Jewish authorities may have toward Jesus, for the sake of Israel they would have made sure he was buried.

Sorry for the slight derail.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You should post that in Gary's thread

Comment

You should post that in Gary's thread
                  Assuming you were talking about my post right above yours I re-posted it there as well at your request

Comment

I've actually thought about this a little, and I think there may be an answer similar to Adrift's. It's possible that the Marcan community and the Johannine community were on two separate calendars.

It's nearly 3 am here, so I'll have to expand upon my thought tomorrow...

Comment