See less

Pope says Christians should apologize for marginalization of gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC "ex cathedra" is a relatively recent doctrinal development anyway.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      I agree with Darth Executor that the Pope makes a joke of the Catholic Church. However, I understand that the usual Catholic cop-out is that "The Pope is only infallible when he speaks ex cathedra," which of course the Pope never does, anyway. (So remind me of what the purpose is of even having a Pope?)
      Catholics argue that God Himself selects the pope. It's hard to argue that this pope was handpicked by God, unless God wants to take a sledgehammer to the Catholic Church.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I think you're maybe missing the point. When people talk about those who are "marginalized" they're generally referring to those in society who are ostracized, or snubbed, or even those who've voluntarily chosen to set themselves apart from the rest of society for whatever reason....
        I think the very fact that there's so much discussion about what this "marginalization" is proves that using "marginalized" to define those to whom we are called to give special consideration is a bad starting place.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I think the very fact that there's so much discussion about what this "marginalization" is proves that using "marginalized" to define those to whom we are called to give special consideration is a bad starting place.
          I disagree, I think it's too much of a theme in the gospels (Matthew and Luke in particular) and in the writings of the minor prophets (Amos and Micah in particular) to simply gloss over.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I disagree, I think it's too much of a theme in the gospels (Matthew and Luke in particular) and in the writings of the minor prophets (Amos and Micah in particular) to simply gloss over.
            Show me where, in those scriptures, we're to address "the marginalized".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Show me where, in those scriptures, we're to address "the marginalized".

Comment

Whether or not we use specific words as "marginalized" is beside the point
                No, that's EXACTLY the point. Did you read the whole thread?

Comment

No, that's EXACTLY the point. Did you read the whole thread?
                  ...yes, I've been involved for the entire thread. I don't understand your objections. I don't want to be uncharitable but it seems like you're quibbling over specific words when my point is that, regardless of the specific words we want to use, God calls us to special care and attention for those society would prefer to forget (which is what "marginalized" means).

Comment

...yes, I've been involved for the entire thread. I don't understand your objections. I don't want to be uncharitable but it seems like you're quibbling over specific words when my point is that, regardless of the specific words we want to use, God calls us to special care and attention for those society would prefer to forget (which is what "marginalized" means).
                    Then use the terms scripture uses.

Comment

Then use the terms scripture uses.
                      It's easier to simply use one catch-all term instead of saying "X and Y and Z and A and B and C"... it seems clear to me that this is a scriptural theme and I'm just connecting the dots.

I honestly don't see what is wrong with the term "marginalized" or what harm its use could bring. It seems like a good way of summing up one implication of "the last shall be first and the first shall be last"... it's trying to figure out who the "last" are in our society.

Comment

Not true. God calls us to special care and attention for those who need help. It has nothing to do with whether society would prefer to forget them or not. "Marginalize" is a progressive word used to assign nobility to their member castes and turn others (particularly Christians, men, white people, or any other socio/racial group they hate) into de facto second class citizens. Most conservative Christians wouldn't describe it this way since they're not entirely aware of what's going on but they still feel that there's something off which is why you're getting so much pushback on the word.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          "Marginalize" is a progressive word used to assign nobility to their member castes and turn others (particularly Christians, men, white people, or any other socio/racial group they hate) into de facto second class citizens.
                          Is there evidence for this?

Comment

Is there evidence for this?
                            Sure, mountains of it. Gays (as brought up in this topic) are considered a "marginalized" group even as progressives destroy grandma's bakery for not catering to a gay wedding. It's hard to call yourself 'marginalized" when the state destroys your enemy's livelihood on command. Same with blacks and police violence (blacks commit more crimes, which results in a proportionate number of kills by police, but progressives spin it as black criminals being the "victim" even though they are the original instigators). Women are "marginalized" in education even though most students and graduates are women, so they set up taxpayer funding for even more women's programs even as boys fall behind in school with no concern from them. I'm actually surprised you'd even ask this question, I know I haven't been here in almost a year but surely someone's been holding the fort down in civics, right?

Comment

It's easier to simply use one catch-all term instead of saying "X and Y and Z and A and B and C"... it seems clear to me that this is a scriptural theme and I'm just connecting the dots.

I honestly don't see what is wrong with the term "marginalized" or what harm its use could bring. It seems like a good way of summing up one implication of "the last shall be first and the first shall be last"... it's trying to figure out who the "last" are in our society.
                              So, you're including unrepentant gays in this?

Comment

It just seems that there's a watering down of the Gospel in hopes of including more people in the Catholic Church.
                                Been that way since Vatican II, though I don't disagree with everything that came out of it (e.g., worship in the vernacular).
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment